General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
Is The Big Lewboski worth watching? I bought it second hand in a local pre-owned game shop for a quid and never got round to watching it.

Watch it now! It's an awesome film, with several great performances.

This. It's incredible.

I just think it's brilliant that the Die Hard franchise has evolved into one big ITV Edit.

"Yippee kay-yay kemosabe."

That broke my heart.

You should see the Big Lebowski TV Edit.

'Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps, Larry'.

I can't find a video of the Die Hard edit (if anyone can then please post a link to it), but here is a video of a few other TV edits (including the Big Lebowski one).

Those TV edits are brilliantly awful. Do we get those in this country? I don't think that I have ever seen a film edited for British television. We just seem to show movies that are a bit colourful after the watershed. When I used to live in America, they would show all manner of movies and would edit any bits out accordingly. I remember the likes of 'Thelma and Louise' and 'Aliens' being majorly sliced apart. If you can't show the full film, then don't show it at all.

Those TV edits are brilliantly awful. Do we get those in this country? I don't think that I have ever seen a film edited for British television. We just seem to show movies that are a bit colourful after the watershed. When I used to live in America, they would show all manner of movies and would edit any bits out accordingly. I remember the likes of 'Thelma and Louise' and 'Aliens' being majorly sliced apart. If you can't show the full film, then don't show it at all.

How young are you? Back in the 80s and 90s, all we ever got were edits. When I bought Die Hard on DVD a few years ago I was amazed at how much had been changed back when I first saw it.

How young are you? Back in the 80s and 90s, all we ever got were edits. When I bought Die Hard on DVD a few years ago I was amazed at how much had been changed back when I first saw it.

27. I lived in America from 1993 to 1999 though so that's probably why it's something that I've never noticed over here. When did they stop doing this?

When they started updating their broadcast tapes for widescreen tvs. Up till then they were still using the pan and scan, pre-watershed edits from the 80s. Channel 5 still used them occasionally, I suspect they bought a job lot of old tapes off another channel.

Last year ITV started broadcasting uncut, widescreen, HD versions of the old Bond movies. It was fucking unbelievable the difference.

The most amazing difference is in the westerns where you'd have these scenes where the camera used to pan back and forth between two people talking, and then when you actually watch the original version they're both on screen at the same time in the widescreen framing. Or long panning shots that used to suddenly change speed as they slowed down for the end of the pan, and all that.

• Paid Members

I remember the ITV edit of Robocop. Two particular bits spring to mind - when Bob Morton looks into the camera (Robocop's vision) and says "You're gonna be one bad mother-crusher!" and when Robocop intervenes at a liquor store robbery, with the robber yelling "Why me! Why me!" or (in another version) "Fly me! Fly me!"

• Paid Members

Aliens was another one which was always badly edited. 'No FREAKING way man' always sticks in my head after the drop ship crash. I think the Big Lebowski dubs are intentionally insane arent they and are actually written by the Coens.

ITV used to be terrible for doing it. Been mentioned on here before but there's two quite infamous edits from them. One is Their version of Romancing The Stone which was hacked to bits for the first hour. Anything risqu

• Paid Members

The USA TV version of Howard Stern's Private Parts is an interesting watch. When something that needs edited comes up, the screen freezes and Stern wanders on and explains why they aren't allowed to show it, or makes a daft comment on the film.

ppusa.gif

Robocop should do the same.

Edited by Blackson Jackson

• Paid Members
Aliens was another one which was always badly edited. 'No FREAKING way man' always sticks in my head after the drop ship crash.

Also "Whoopee fuckin' do!" became "Whoopee for her!" I'd love to hear some stories about the people that worked on dubbing these films - they probably found it a right laugh to work on.