What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TNA Genesis 2006

I remember watching BFG 06 and personally I've found it to be one of the best events TNA has put out. I was pretty interesting in getting the follow up event Genesis as I haven't seen it for a few years and can barely remember any of it. Pretty nice start with VKM and I can't remember there whole gimmick that too well but didn't they get with The Beautiful People in the end? Christy Hemme looks fit. Raven looks brilliant. Kazarian looks like more of a twat than usual. The old nwa titles were nice. The iMPACT fans are really into everything TNA are doing and what makes the PPV better than the current stuff they are producing is there is no piped noise. I'm only 40 minutes through and its really decent. I do miss the old TNA I have to say.

• 7 months later...

Couldn't think what thread to bring it up in and couldn't remember where else this had been discussed recently, so this one will do.

In The Ring with Kevin Nash could be the best wrestling thing I've watched this year. A typically engaging discussion from the big man, but it's even better that he's delivering it to the kickpad krew and that fat bum-chinned promoter who seems incensed that WWE haven't turned him into the next Cena.

The in-ring section was a really fantastic addition, I'd like to see more of these Legend Q&A type things instead of traditional shoots. I really enjoyed the brief stuff from that Cabana/Daniel Bryan Road Stories one where Bryan was advising the young guys. There's a whole new shoot market I think. It's nice to hear the wrestlers talk shop like this, and makes you realise just how easy it is for guys like Nash and HHH to pull a four-star TLC match out their arses despite being big guys in their 40s/50s.

Big Sexy groaning in pain and sliding in the ring at a snails pace makes him look ancient, but as soon as he stands anywhere near the local wrestlers, fuck me, he's Hogan, Rock and Austin in one next to the little buggers.

Anyway, even if you don't like Nash, I still think you'd get some enjoyment out of it. Highly recommended.

Yesterday at work; ROH TV - Episode 36 (25/05/12) Basically the Border Wars main event - was pretty good laugh but gets a bit stop and start due to being at work. Was pleased to see the psychology and the teasing of the package pile driver.. it was really nice to see them not having about 23 finisher moves and false finishes. Plus the D.R Driver getting busted out was sweet. Dont know if Davey was tonning it down or if Steen was calling the match, but it was working for me.

Finally getting round to listening to PAC - Art Of Wrestling (78) yeah PAC does really seem like a top lad on here and in person when I've met him. Also on a PAC tip I shall be going to hit up NJPW - Best of the super Jr's XIX (day one.)

• Paid Members

Going to see if I can go the whole weekend without watching anything related to the Jubilee. I'm watching the Takeshi's Castle marathon! Guaranteed to make you smile.

In The Ring with Kevin Nash is good for the first half, but not so good second half. The wrestlers watching the matches aren't enthused about watching the training matches (naturally) with some walking around during the matches, and I think that rubs off a bit. It was tedious watching the matches as most followed the same formula. A lot of them were just dull too. There's some useful nuggets like trying to escape a sleeper by scrambling for air. I was hoping that he'd tell them to have more character in their matches. The face/heel dynamic was pretty dire. DJ Hyde was a right goon though. Even after the match with Callihan, he was trying to put himself over.

I'm about a month into the run of Superstars of Wrestling from 1988. Ted Dibiase has been great so far in his quest to get his hands on the World Title. He has recently purchased Andre the Giant who has promised that when he beats Hulk Hogan on the NBC special, he will then present the belt over to Dibiase. He had originally tried to buy the belt from the Hulkster but he was having none of it.

The Islanders stole Matilda and supposedly poisoned her. This has led to some ironically funny interviews where the Bulldogs come on TV each week and give us an update on her condition. They encourage the fans to write and send in cards, which they say they read to her and although still not well, she wags her tail when they read her the messages!

Other random notes and thoughts; Bruno Sammartino is dreadful on commentary, I think he leaves the company later this year, the sooner the better in my eyes. Bam Bam Bigelow is terribly miscast as a face, Bad News Brown has just debuted, whilst Frenchie Martin is worse than Mr Fuji in the managerial stakes. Outback Jack is a jobber, the Warrior nearly spikes Terry Gibbs on his head after completely botching a hotshot, the Royal Rumble was known as the 'Rumble Royal' for two weeks before they changed the name, Dibiase actually hits that back elbow of the middle turnbuckle (uses it as his finishes against Brady Boone), whilst Bravo and Duggan are both incredibly tedious to watch.

I've been watching the Best of WCW Monday Nitro DVD, on disc 3 now or 'where it all goes wrong' but the Sting vs DDP World Title Match from '99 was top class classic. What a great match with an amazing crowd too, the WCW crowds were always pretty loud and rowdy weren't they? ...then came the Fatal 4 Way later that night when DDP won the Title back, does anyone know the reason why they decided to have the fatal 4 way later that night? I wasn't a big WCW watcher at that time.

• Paid Members

To have a huge match in the middle (which actually beat Raw's quarter hour) and then to have another big match later in the night which would keep the audience. If I remember correctly, it was the debut of the $500,000 GAME CHANGING NITRO SET!!!!! as well. So it was a milestone night (which unfortunately turned out to be for the wrong reasons :( ). They were going up against the night after Backlash as well. Nobody wanted to miss that episode of Raw.

There's a story about the Sting vs DDP match. The finish was supposed to happen about 7 or 8 minutes earlier, but Raw went to commercial and they wanted it to keep on going. There's apart in the match where DDP throws Sting out of the ring, because the ref tells DDP not to go home yet. It went for a good 25 minutes, which was super long for a TV main event. It shows that for their reputation, DDP and Sting really could go on the fly if they wanted to.

I remember they had an absolute belter the previous year as well.

To have a huge match in the middle (which actually beat Raw's quarter hour) and then to have another big match later in the night which would keep the audience. If I remember correctly, it was the debut of the $500,000 GAME CHANGING NITRO SET!!!!! as well. So it was a milestone night (which unfortunately turned out to be for the wrong reasons :( ). They were going up against the night after Backlash as well. Nobody wanted to miss that episode of Raw.

There's a story about the Sting vs DDP match. The finish was supposed to happen about 7 or 8 minutes earlier, but Raw went to commercial and they wanted it to keep on going. There's apart in the match where DDP throws Sting out of the ring, because the ref tells DDP not to go home yet. It went for a good 25 minutes, which was super long for a TV main event. It shows that for their reputation, DDP and Sting really could go on the fly if they wanted to.

I remember they had an absolute belter the previous year as well.

I saw that match yesterday - was that a cradle inverted tombstone piledriver Sting busted out - was totally not expecting that!!

Awesome match, probably the best on that set, and I would love to see WWE put out another Best of Nitro set - from that time period alone I can think of 3 worthy matches - Sting/Flair (for the commisioner post), Flair/DDP, and the fantastic four way cruiser match with Blitzkreig where I believe Psicosis won the title...

• Moderators
Other random notes and thoughts; Bruno Sammartino is dreadful on commentary

Is it at the point yet where he just doesn't say a thing during the matches and then mumbles bollocks over the action replay at the end of them?

Nash vs Flair was around that time, too.

Did the Nitro set sell well? I remember DDP saying if it did they'd do another.

Obviously does not matter in the big picture but the lack of Benoit matches really does cut a load of stuff out that would have deserved to go in otherwise: I'm thinking Booker T Best of 7, vs Bret, vs Finlay, vs Regal, tag matches with Malenko in 1999 etc

In 1998 I was thinking they should have included Goldberg/Raven, which was a pretty big spectacle - and even in 2000 there were still some decent bits, like the Flair/Jarrett title switch from just before GAB...

DDP did say that - don't know if it was bullshit though, as although he does seem like a great bloke, he can be a bit full of it sometimes - would love to see a second edition though!!

Archived