What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been watching all week Nitro from Bast At The Beach '96 onwards. It certainly brings back alot of memories of waiting for the tapes to arrive from America. Few things I had forgotten - a pretty decent match of Randy Savage vs Regal, how excited I was at the time to see Piper vs Hogan after the contract signing (I won't fight a cripple - C'mon Peg Leg Pete), Jim Powers getting a mini push, the crap that was Jimmy Graffiti-Joe Gomez-Road Block,Tombstone + El Technico, an enjoyable Jerry Lynn vs Rey match, Bischoff's swerve and joining NWO, the NWO Saturday Night matches in an empty arena, Tony Schivone throwing a huff after Larry Zbysko didn't protect him when the NWO came out to commentate, Greg Valentine + Bobby Eaton giving pretty good performances despite looking terrible, Kevin Sullivan/Nancy/Chris Benoit feud because it's been pretty easy to forget after all that happened and why Virgil/Boss Man/IRS were in the NWO considering how awful they were. I've just stuck on the first one of 1997 hoping to continue the enjoyment.

• Paid Members
and why Virgil/Boss Man/IRS were in the NWO considering how awful they were.

Thats simple. Hogan, Hall and Nash didnt want to look weak, so they brought in a bunch of lads who'd get squashed by Sting, Lex Luger and The Giant. They even had their own music. Here's a fact: X-Pac once refused to walk out on Nitro when they played the B-Squad theme.

I get the idea of having expendable members who can be squashed whilst building up for the bigger matches but it seems Bubba was feuding with the DOD (particulary Konnan), Rotunda was doing nothing before and seemingly nothing after and Virgil was there for Piper to say that he trained him. It just seemed at the time there were other people on the roster who would have fit the bill more than those three. Mind you isn't 1997 when they expanded to include the B team?

Just watched the Mania documentary. Pretty disappointed to be fair, was hoping for a lot more never-before-seen footage rather than just the usual talking heads which included some rehashes from previous DVDs. I'd say as far as stuf f on Mania goes, the 'Mania of WrestleMania' that features as an extra on the WM XX DVD blows this out of the water.

• Paid Members

Currently pissing myself at Ric Flair's commentary on the May 20th 1996 Nitro (oh, getting so close now...)

(on Meng) : "King of the Samoan islands, nobody badder, WHOOOO!"

"I'm the man that tamed Wahoo McDaniels!"

"I'm the man that retired "the Big Cat" Ernie Ladd!"

(sings) "WHERE.... oh where.... is McMichaels now? WHOOO!!"

(sings) "Debbie.... oh Debbie loves the NATURE BOY!"

• Paid Members
I get the idea of having expendable members who can be squashed whilst building up for the bigger matches but it seems Bubba was feuding with the DOD (particulary Konnan), Rotunda was doing nothing before and seemingly nothing after and Virgil was there for Piper to say that he trained him. It just seemed at the time there were other people on the roster who would have fit the bill more than those three. Mind you isn't 1997 when they expanded to include the B team?

Might be wrong, but didn't they want ex WWF guys to add a bit of "they've come over from the company up North to invade"? So Rotunda (IRS), Vincent (Virgil) and Bubba (Bossman) make a bit more sense in that context.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just about finished watching the new Nitro DVD, and I must say at least there's finally a good nWo DVD, if nothing else. As a pack, I couldn't really recommend it - it's easy to get complete year packs from the net these days and everybody owes it to themselves to just watch full episodes if they are really interested in this era, but as far as a good and even-handed documentation of the New World Order goes, there will never be a better collection. That shower they released in 2002 can finally be laid to rest.

• 2 months later...

Currently watching 1996 Nitro on January 29th at the moment Hogan Vs. Flair in the opening match which has been better then I expected it to be.

My favortie stuff at the moment is Brian Pilman's antics eventually leading to Arn Anderson giving him a corker of a slap on one episode and I'm guessing (I actually missed the vast majority of WCW at that time) it's also building upto the infamous I respect you booker man match/incident with Kevin Sullivan.

What a show it used to be.

I watched the WCCW documentary last night. It starts out great, then ends up being despondently bleak with miserable story after miserable story. One or two deaths are sad, but when you're getting 5 or 6, it kind of just bums you out.

Although, my non-wrestling-fan missus thinking the Von Erich curse was a work gave me a chuckle.

Heroes of World Class?

As sad as it gets it's an amazing documentary and essential viewing for anyone with an interest in the old school.

EDIT

Shit Madusa just nailed Sister Sheri with a nasty looking German Suplex.

DOUBLE EDIT

Fucking hell if I was a paying fan that night I would have been well pissed off with that Giant/Savage main event.

Archived