What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PWG Eight, i love this Saturday which rolls around once a month when I chill with the latest show and just have fun for three hours. sure there are a lot of MOVEZ and a plethora of near falls in just the first match, but fuck, seeing the crowd there going crazy and banging on the apron and the hilarious guest commentary makes me wish i could go to reseda for a show. it also helps that they have some of the best indie names around all on one show.

also, steen is gold.

Yoshihiro Tajiri's SMASH promotion is really doing it for me right now, especially their women's division which has some spectacular talent. I just finished watching Kurihara & Ray Vs Syuri & Makoto from SMASH 21 which is easily one of the best matches I've seen in a really long time, Syuri has just about the biggest heart I've ever seen and I'm really excited for the Syuri/Kurihara match that they're obviously building toward as they spent most of this match beating the absolute shit out of each other. I don't know why Syuri and Kurihara hate each other so much and due to the language barrier I probably never will, but the important thing, for me anyway, is that I believe it.

• Paid Members

I'm watching MUTHAFUCKING Vintage from last night. Set the Sky Box to record it on a whim before Raw, because it promised me Sting vs DDP and I was wondering whether it was the far-more-bummed one from just before Spring Stampede '99, or the much less-bummed but IMO-better one from the night after WMXIV. If so, I wanted to capture it because my VHS "taped off Channel 17 on Sky" version is a bit grainy.

We've just started with Dean Malenko v Steve Regal from an episode of Saturday Night, which I may never have seen otherwise, unless I start on the Saturday Night sets after I finish watching all the Nitro. It's Cruiserweight champion Malenko vs Television champion Regal, and it pleases me

a) Because it's bound to be a technical classic and real good "game of human chess", and

b) looks like a "champion vs champion" theme, which means the Sting/Page match is the one I want.

Goody gumdrops.

EDIT - WGTT vs Los Guerreros? Sir, with these Rocher you are really spoiling us.

• Paid Members
Just got my box set of 95 Superstars come through - and its certainly has its ups and downs - Bam Bam vs King Mabel, anyone

My favourite episode was the one that started with Sid smashing Aldo Montoya. I don't remember the other matches except that all 4 featured at least a JJTS vs a superstar and no proper jobbers, but mostly because it was Sid's first televised match since returning to the WWF. The powerbomb on ole PJ was awesome, and IIRC there may have been a Whirlybird too.

• Paid Members

"Are you ready? Are you ready to go?"

WWF Superstars from 1995 is very underrated I think. It was a show that would do the odd angle and had some really good matches on it throughout the year. Come in from school, stick Superstars on and go and have a game of footy. Life was good. It would get the stars on as well. The "OLD" Diesel returning and squashing Rad Raford was a talking point, because he only slapped hands with black gloved fans. It was really odd at the time. It was also a great vehicle for the new wrestlers who they had big things for. If you saw some of Ahmed Johnsons matches on WWF Superstars in 1995, you'd swear he was the next Ultimate Warrior type unstoppable force. He was actually over huge at the time. Squash matches were so effective.

And what with the roster they had at the time, there was always some great material on there. Pierre Outlette, Hakushi, The 123 Kid, Razor Ramon, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Marty Jannetty, Davey Boy Smith, Owen Hart would usually be on there doing there thing.

"Are you ready? Are you ready to go?"

WWF Superstars from 1995 is very underrated I think. It was a show that would do the odd angle and had some really good matches on it throughout the year. Come in from school, stick Superstars on and go and have a game of footy. Life was good. It would get the stars on as well. The "OLD" Diesel returning and squashing Rad Raford was a talking point, because he only slapped hands with black gloved fans. It was really odd at the time. It was also a great vehicle for the new wrestlers who they had big things for. If you saw some of Ahmed Johnsons matches on WWF Superstars in 1995, you'd swear he was the next Ultimate Warrior type unstoppable force. He was actually over huge at the time. Squash matches were so effective.

Totally agree with you Ian.

• Paid Members

Superstars was fucking class. The first episode in 1995 I caught was a battle royal where Lawler was hopping around outside the ring on one foot, trying to stay legal by repeating Shawn's mad skillz from the Rumble, until Bret came out and stamped on his foot. Like all non-Rumble battle royals ever, Smithers ended up winning. From Albert Hall to Madrid to Hicksville USA, the Bulldog loved his battle royals.

Superstars 95 also played host to a brief tandem between Hakushi and Kwang which showed flashes of potential squashing jobbers, but then fell to bits when they got beat by the Smoking Gunns. They had a tiff and then wrestled the week after. Hakushi won with a senton off the top, which in 1995 seemed pretty flash to little Raid. It wasn't long after that Kwang was repackaged as Savio Vega.

I also like Superstars because every now and again Bret was on it. It seemed that every new heel got to dance with the Hitman on Superstars, possibly as a bit of a measuring stick. Henry Godwinn, Mantaur and others all got to cut their teeth against Bret. He also had a decent match with Jimmy Del Ray of the Heavenly Bodies on Superstars, featured on the WrestleFest '95 tape, as is a really enjoyable Shawn Michaels vs Tom Prichard match. In fact, most of my earliest memories of babyface HBK are from Superstars.

I'm pretty sure there was also a Bigelow/Bundy match on Superstars too where Bam Bam slammed Bundy after he missed an avalanche, and for some reason that seemed really impressive to me. My other prevailing memory from the tail end of '95 is the reaction of Mr Perfect when he saw Dean Douglas finish his jobber with the Perfect-Plex. Priceless.

• Paid Members

I'm currently watching SummerSlam Spectacular '91. Its not SummerSlam 91. Its a television special to get you to buy the event. Slaughter vs Hogan is the main. But, its pretty much a mini-PPV itself with (in Vince's commentary voice): "Hawk from the Legion of Doom vs Nasty Boy Brian Knobs, Bret Hart vs. The Barbarian, Virgil vs THE MILLION DOLLAR MAAAAAAN'S MYSTERY PARTNAAAAAAAA" Davey Boy and Kerry Von Erich is fighting all three members of the Orient Express as well, showing how hard they are. Its also got interviews with all the stars of the era with veins pumping through their necks promoting their matches. Its been pretty great so far. Anytime I hear that "DUM-DUM, DAH-DUM!" SummerSlam song from the early 90s, it makes it watchable. Heenan and Vince are really good on commentary as well.s

• Paid Members

I fucking love the specials that feel like B PPVs. SummerSlam Spectacular '92 is very watchable too with Bret/Skinner and Warrior & Savage/Nastys (what a mess that becomes), and SNME from October 1992 is one of my favourite shows - Money Inc v Ultimate Maniacs, DBS v Shawn Michaels and Bret defending the belt against (as if!) Papa Shango.

And of course, great promos.

Archived