What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

Watched Summerslam '90 last night. This is still a fantastic event after all these years with some pretty darn good matches. Really captures the whole late 80's early 90's WWF. Also makes me miss some of the great characters wrestling used to have like Rude, Roberts, Demolition etc.

Superb show, and like you I felt it was transitional in parts (eg the tag team division moving forward in a different direction).

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mostly just browsing through Youtube and Dailymotion. I often get a notion to check out stuff from guys i'm not so familiar with, or from before the time i was familiar with them. So in the last couple of weeks i've watched as much as i could find of Paul Orndorff, pre-WWF Dusty Rhodes and 80s Ricky Steamboat.

The most recent though was Eddie Gilbert. I'm quite enjoying it and have stumbled across some crackers v the likes of Ricky Morton, Funk and a great little tag w/ Steamboat vs Windham and Flair. For the acclaim he gets though, i get the feeling it's probably not his best stuff. I should add that i absolutely hate the studio settings on 80s NWA and territories TV. With no hard cameras, a handful of fans and sometimes even no ring-apron, it takes a lot of the effect away.

I am slowly making my way through the NWA WCW show from 1989 and the show really picks up when they move out of the TBS Studios and to Center Stage. Not that there weren't any good matches at the Studio (there is a great Gilbert/Windham match that airs the week before the tag with Steamboat that you have referenced), but there was *something* missing at this point. When they moved to Center Stage the crowd was so much hotter and into everything, and the Steamboat return would have gone down far better in an environment like this compared to how it went down at TBS.

Yeah, i think i saw that one too, if it's the one where Windham hits just about everything and can't put Gilbert away so Flair just runs in and beats him up. It was good stuff, although it was all Windham, Gilbert felt more like a jobber who just wouldn't give up. Windham's popping up quite a lot in some of the stuff i'm watching, it's the other guy i'm always watching it for, but i'm beginning to see just what all the fuss was with him, he looks fantastic evertime i see him, stretching from about 87-93. Of all the matches i watched when i mentioned Dusty Rhodes earlier, it was a match v Windham i probably enjoyed the most.

Watched Summerslam '90 last night. This is still a fantastic event after all these years with some pretty darn good matches. Really captures the whole late 80's early 90's WWF. Also makes me miss some of the great characters wrestling used to have like Rude, Roberts, Demolition etc.

It's really not imo, i loved it at the time because that was the summer i got into the WWF, so i'm still quite fond of it for nostalgic reasons. But watching it today with a different set of eyes, well, it pretty much blows. It's actually a good shout for the 'one match show' thread that was around last week, because other than Harts/Demolition, it's all throwaway. And as great as that tag was, it was still pretty flawed - the switcheroo was just silly because they weren't even close to being identical, i could only really suspend my disbelief with that if Demolition had worked with their masks on.

The opener would have been good were they able to have a standard match, and the 2 main events were passable, albeit very underwhelming for their position on the card. The rest can be filed under 'crap' though, and none moreso than Perfect/Von Erich which a lot of people think was good for some unfathomable reason. The Summerslams either side of this one were fantastic shows, but this was anything but imo. I don't have any stats but i wouldn't be surprised if it turned out this had the least bell-to-bell time of any WWF 3 hr PPV. It certainly won't be far off it.

Been watching this. Its class. Its a comp that someone has posted about the original Doink. Its class. Doink was brilliant. His debut was such a slow building one. Then he just went nuts. He had so much potential. Shame they turned him face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BHI-Wwdx6o...feature=related

I think this is the same comp I've got on DVD (in fact I think I've got two Heel Doink Comps) and its amazing how much heat he got. People criticised having a clown character but when he first came in but he was frigging freaky. Shame they turned him face as it would've been great for them to build a back story to the character. Shame also it was a bit PG in 93. Would've loved to have seen a bleeding Doink in a hardcore type match.

Away from that I've been watching Royal Rumble 90 - an event I can't recall watching before (although its not surprising as its a bit bland) and also some classic documentaries such as: Beyond The Mat, The Robbie Brookside BBC 2 one and the Knight family on a Channel 5 doc.

Think I may dig out those Doink comps at the weekend.

Watched In Your House 1 and In Your House 4-

IYH 1 is a really solid show, Bret vs Hakushi, Gunns vs Owen/Yoko, Razor vs JJ/Roadie and even Mabel vs Adam Bomb are all good matches, King upsets Hart after tons of interferance in Hart's second bout of the night, main event is what you expect from Diesel and Sid.

IYH 4 is another show i really enjoyed Triple H vs Fatu is a storming opener, Gunns vs Razor and Kid is a good tag bout and the main event was enhanced with Bret on commentary, show also featured the debut of Goldust as he faced Marty Jannetty in a decent bout.

watching stuff from 95/96 makes me realise how good of a tag team The Smoking Gunns were, great unique double team moves, high offense, great.

Been watching some matches recently including...

Bull Nakano vs Alundra Blayze (SummerSlam 94) - great little match. In fact it showed just how good female wrestling can be. Some awesome power moves, reversals into a hurricanrana, and a mean looking spine stretchin, hair pullin, submission hold which looked ROUGH! Really good stuff and makes me sad women in WWE can't wrestle even half as good anymore

British Bulldog vs Bret Hart (SummerSlam 92) - Wow! Why this match is rated so highly I really don't know. I mean I love the art of wrestling but jesus that dragged. The 35554 rest holds/headlocks just went on and on. A lot of the action was decent but something didn't flow for ME in this. Good match but imo not the classic that people tilt it as being. Maybe its my attention span. But Rock vs HHH JD2000 held my attention but this didn't

British Bulldog vs Bret Hart (SummerSlam 92) - Wow! Why this match is rated so highly I really don't know. I mean I love the art of wrestling but jesus that dragged. The 35554 rest holds/headlocks just went on and on. A lot of the action was decent but something didn't flow for ME in this. Good match but imo not the classic that people tilt it as being. Maybe its my attention span. But Rock vs HHH JD2000 held my attention but this didn't

I felt the same yesterday when I watched Bret Vs Owen Hart from Wrestlemania 10. I just think it is a very over-rated match, it wasn't anything great entertainment wise in my opinion. As a whole, a enjoyed Wrestlemania 9 alot (which I also re-watched Thursday) more than than Wrestlemania 10. I enjoyed that Undertaker Vs Giant Gonzales match from WM 9 alot more than Bret/Owen. I'm a Bret fan as well, his matches with Austin are among my favourites, so it must have been Owen?

I felt the same yesterday when I watched Bret Vs Owen Hart from Wrestlemania 10. I just think it is a very over-rated match, it wasn't anything great entertainment wise in my opinion. As a whole, a enjoyed Wrestlemania 9 alot (which I also re-watched Thursday) more than than Wrestlemania 10. I enjoyed that Undertaker Vs Giant Gonzales match from WM 9 alot more than Bret/Owen. I'm a Bret fan as well, his matches with Austin are among my favourites, so it must have been Owen?

This has to be either the biggest windup or the biggest load of toot I have ever read in my life.

You seriously thought that Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzales was better than Bret vs. Owen? :confused:

• Paid Members

Just watched the WrestleMania documentary. Its awesome. Highly recommended. If you can get past Brisco, Okerlund and The Fink kissing Vince's arse and Vince himself putting himself over for literally everything, you'll enjoy it highly. I was getting goosebumps watching the little buildup during the Hogan vs Warrior chapter. The story about Warrior crying with joy after the match in the dressing room is touching and shows a side to the Warrior they never gave us on the Self Destruction DVD. The respect they show Hulk Hogan is so refreshing. They dedicate a little tribute to him and even go far as saying "Hogan built WrestleMania". Bitchy feuds get put to one side and its great to see. Even the likes of Randy Savage and Bam Bam Bigelow get put over for their contribution to the events he was in. They even sort of admited to the reason that WrestleMania VII was moved was because it wasnt selling well (17,000 was sold by the time "security" became an issue). Mind you, poor Ric Flair gets a bit of a pasting. Which wasnt what they were saying in 2008. They say that WrestleMania 8 bombed because Flair wasnt accepted by the WWF fans and wasnt the draw they expected him to be when they planned the Hogan vs Flair main event. Brisco even says "Flair wasnt accepted by the WWF fans as we'd have hoped". There's footage of WrestleMania IX of Vince McMahon showing Lex Luger how to pose infront of a mirror for his entrance (below), Vince chatting to Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart asking if there was any girls hanging around (as a married man should do) and Scott Hall looking under one of the referee's togas. The footage is just cracking. It isnt as good after the WrestleMania XIII. I dont know whether thats because the footage has been shown and the story has been told more frequently in the modern era, but that era's footage is brilliant.

Screenshot2011-03-15at61912PM.png

Again, its such a different spin on the usual kool-aid DVD they have a tendancy to produce. Cant recommend it highly enough. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen on wrestling. And we see footage of Razor Ramon in a pink vest. What the fuck more do you want?

Screenshot2011-03-15at62225PM.png

Screenshot2011-03-15at62355PM.png

Screenshot2011-03-15at62033PM.png

We also get an appearance from a young British lad on there. Who looks incredibly similar to ... actually it IS Jonny Storm:

storm.jpg

• Paid Members

Just finished burning the Wrestlemania documentary, gonna hop into bed and stick it on. Really cannot wait for this, it's certainly my most anticipated (wrestling wise) watch in, well, years.

This has to be either the biggest windup or the biggest load of toot I have ever read in my life.

You seriously thought that Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzales was better than Bret vs. Owen? :confused:

I said I enjoyed it more. What's wrong with that?

Sting vs Great Muta (GAB 89) - Prett great for an 8-minute match, both guys were on fire. The finish left a bit to be desired but I'm sure it set up a rematch so whatever. People must have lost their minds when Muta came on the scene back then busting out moonsaults, handspring elbows etc, infact a decent Muta chant breaks out at the start of the match. Good stuff

• Paid Members
Been watching this. Its class. Its a comp that someone has posted about the original Doink. Its class. Doink was brilliant. His debut was such a slow building one. Then he just went nuts. He had so much potential. Shame they turned him face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BHI-Wwdx6o...feature=related

they pass off Doink so subtle in the first few clips you would be fooled to think it was some local joke at the area then it becomes more intriguing. Though the idea of a wrestling clown always irked me a tiny bit, the fact he was an evil clown (that being the man behind the make-up was some sort of psycho) made it totally worthy. Quite complex considering there target audience at the time. As a kid Doink didn't scare me but the idea of whoever behind the make up did.

• Paid Members
Quite complex considering there target audience at the time. As a kid Doink didn't scare me but the idea of whoever behind the make up did.

Good call.

I fucking love heel Doink. My mates who dont like wrestling also love heel Doink. All babyfaces that got booted out of the WWF between Doink's debut and turn, he should have been responsible through sinister variations on clown pranks that left the faces with "serious injuries."

If it were Attitude Era, there would have been acid in that boutonni

Archived