What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

I've been watching Coliseum Classics disc 2. It's a compilation of the best matches featured on, you guessed it! Coliseum Home Video. So far there's been a rather brutal Piper vs Rude cage match from Supertape 2, Rude blades early and is an absolute mess by the end of it. A fantastic IC title match with Flair vs Bret from Invasion 92, Flair is an absolute riot in this one, telling the fat kid in the front row to shut his mouth on 3 separate occasions! HBK vs Flair from the same tape, another great little match, must have been taped at the end of 91 as Shawn is still wearing his Rockers outfit here. HBK vs Razor Ramon from Wrestlefest 94 was the last match I saw before I went to bed and again was a decent match, Razor must have only been a face for a few months at most here, as if I remember he won the IC belt in October and it was Michaels defending it here. The match finishes with the usual DQ/countout finish for a lot of Michaels' matches back then. He did bump like fuck for Razor's offense though, making him look even more awesome than he was in the process. I've got the kliq tag match up next and then one I've never seen before, Tito Santana and Bruno Sammartino vs Randy Savage and Adrian Adonis in a cage match taken from Inside The Steel Cage and Rockers vs Hart Foundation from Wrestlefest 90.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
A fantastic IC title match with Flair vs Bret from Invasion 92, Flair is an absolute riot in this one, telling the fat kid in the front row to shut his mouth on 3 separate occasions!

Yup, decent match although the finish is cockeyes. This is their match that Bret mentions in his booky wook.

HBK vs Flair from the same tape, another great little match, must have been taped at the end of 91 as Shawn is still wearing his Rockers outfit here.

EDUMACATION!

02/12/91 Prime Time taping, Corpus Christi, TX. One day before This Tuesday In Texas where they filmed the Rockers last televised match - a loss to the LOD - before the infamous meeting on The Barber Shop, which aired on the 28th December. Of course, Shawn & Marty continued tagging on house shows until the LOD match aired.

HBK vs Flair from the same tape, another great little match, must have been taped at the end of 91 as Shawn is still wearing his Rockers outfit here. HBK vs Razor Ramon from Wrestlefest 94 was the last match I saw before I went to bed and again was a decent match, Razor must have only been a face for a few months at most here, as if I remember he won the IC belt in October and it was Michaels defending it here.

01/09/93 Challenge taping, Saginaw, MI. Not long before Shawn's suspension.

Cheers for that air_raid. I certainly thought the Bret vs Flair match was better than the one where Bret wins the title for the first time. At least I remember it that way, the other match is on one of the later discs so I'll shall find out. The only thing that spoils a lot of these matches is the god awful commentary team of Lord Alfred Hayes and Sean Mooney. They both seem to suck any drama and tension out of a match with their inane comments and boring banter.

There was loads of good, or at least fun stuff on Superstars around 1995. There was usually at least one name v name match, and there were loads of new guys on the scene, with Superstars being the best place for the fun showcase squashes. There must've been dozens of them - Hakushi, HHH, Jean Pierre Lafitte, Man Mountain Rock, Skip Rad Radford, Ahmed, Waylon Mercy, the Roadie, Kama, the Blu Twins, Tekno Team 2000, Shane Douglas, Henry Godwinn, Savio Vega, make a difference Fatu, Isaac Yankem, Goldust etc...

Some stuff I liked included Bulldog/Jannetty, the Jarrett/Aldo series, a battle royal won by the Bulldog, and Waylon Mercy beating world Champ Diesel! Remember also what must've been one of the biggest matches ever on a syndicate show since I started watching - Hitman vs Sid in a lumberjack match with the corporation and some american football team? Must've been in Canada as the crowd were nuts. Getting something like that on a mere Superstars show was pretty big. They had Razor/Kid vs Yoko/Owen too which was a big deal for Superstars.

What I enjoyed the most though was the Skip/Howowitz feud with Sunny, the 10 minute challenge, and all the matches that spawned from it with Hakushi and Radford getting into the mix. That was a class programme which stretched for pretty much the whole latter half of the year. In fact, just Sunny alone in that bodydonnas gear was probably enough to make it my highlight.

02/12/91 Prime Time taping, Corpus Christi, TX. One day before This Tuesday In Texas where they filmed the Rockers last televised match - a loss to the LOD - before the infamous meeting on The Barber Shop, which aired on the 28th December. Of course, Shawn & Marty continued tagging on house shows until the LOD match aired.

Actually, The Rockers filmed a match for SWS in Japan after the Barbershop scene was filmed

• Paid Members
Actually, The Rockers filmed a match for SWS in Japan after the Barbershop scene was filmed

Poor punctuation, I didnt mean that the LOD match was the last match filmed but the last match of theirs as a team televised.

I would, incidentally like to know if the Rockers jobbing in Japan ever made it to air on American WWF telly.

I watched the Bash 2009 last night after picking it up cheap. Two of the three main events are terrible, not including CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy. Cena vs Miz is appalling and Miz has stated in interviews that this match made him realise that he needed to take it up a level to compete with Cena but I think that would be giving Cena to much credit and the match comes across as such a lazy performance. Cena moves slow from move to move and doesn't show any fire which is something he does quite well in big matches. Thankfully Miz did work his are off because this match didn't do him any favours (other than as motivation).

Triple H and Orton competed in a three stages of hell match as the blow off to their six month feud. The first two falls happened quickly before a brawl through the crowd erupted before 15 minutes of fighting around the stretcher and a legacy interference. I didn't enjoy the feud at the time and in my opinion Orton and Triple H don't have good chemistry at all as their 04/05 encounters also displayed.

However, Punk vs Hardy was a good contest and Hardy whipped the crowd into a frenzy throughout the match. Punk also shown a great display of his striking ability and the match greatly built towards his heel turn with the restart and kick to the ref leading to a disqualification. This was the event where Edge and Jericho became tag champs before Edge got injured. Despite how good 'Jeri-show' were I would have much rathered this tandem.

Worth checking out in full.

• Paid Members

I watched The John Cena Experience for the first time last night. While Cena comes across as a really hard working bloke with a lot of class, it also has WWE insecurity all over it, as it is one big advert for them to say "Look, John Cena is a massive star and WWE is the best thing ever". It's like a really long 'Stand Up For WWE' or 'Did You Know?' ad in parts. Unlike the Orton DVD, they don't tell you much about Cena's personal life, other than he likes to rap and is a car enthusiast.

• Paid Members

That was Orton's first DVD though. They've told John Cena's story in other DVD's, including all the he was a his Dad made him watch wrestling, he Hulk Hogan fan, he loved bodybuilding, he dressed as Vanilla Ice for a school party, he went to UPW, went to OVW, wrestled Kurt Angle on Smackdown shite that we've all heard before. The John Cena DVD is just another DVD they put out because it will sell.

• Paid Members
That was Orton's first DVD though. They've told John Cena's story in other DVD's, including all the he was a his Dad made him watch wrestling, he Hulk Hogan fan, he loved bodybuilding, he dressed as Vanilla Ice for a school party, he went to UPW, went to OVW, wrestled Kurt Angle on Smackdown shite that we've all heard before. The John Cena DVD is just another DVD they put out because it will sell.

Ah, forgot about 'My Life'.

randomly threw on xpac vs shane from wm 15, xpac really leads shane through a great match that doesnt involve weapons or crazy falls off the tron. the trips and chyna heel turn was nice too considering they were playing up that dx was back together again just before. really got into xpac more over the last few months since i saw his sterling match with generico in chikara.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Watched a documentary on Memphis Wrestling, called Memphis Heat, that's just been released. God this film is fucking excellent. Better than the Rise and Fall of ECW. Someone of these characters are hilarious. Lawler is shown throughout, and it shows how brilliant he was. On the microphone he's as good as anyone you'll see. Just cracking. We also find out Jerry Jarrett gave him the name "King" because he'd sold out in Memphis more than Elvis. Bill Dundee's hair is just beautiful. It also seemed like anyone who ever passed through Memphis had brilliant punches. Fargo's punches were as good as Lawlers. Shows you all the most famous angles and wrestlers. Jimmy Hart is a heat machine. Terry Funk is excellent on it. What a territory this was. Recommended huge.

Best quote of the whole thing was from Jackie Fargo:

"I dont like girl wrestlers or midget wrestlers. They shouldn't be in my profession."

Archived