What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the Raw from the night after Backlash 2004 last night, boy that's what you call a Raw. It starts off with a good Jericho/Christian match, Trish was in Christians corner being her delightful self. It ended with the debut of their new "Problem Solver" Tyson Tomko knocking Jericho's head off with a big boot to cause him the match.

It was in Calgary and the crowd where louder than any MSG or Chicago crowd that we see now, World Champ Benoit came out and they loved him. His mic work wasn't that great really, but the atmosphere was electric. To follow it up Shawn Michaels came out and they absolutely hated the guy. Bischoff came out and made a match between the two for Raw, two weeks later in Phoenix which the crowd where pissed off about. As was Triple H, as the cool as ice Evolution where then shown getting out of a large limo. He was the only member without a belt over his shoulder, and nearly knocked out Todd Grisham when he told him of the match.

Randy Orton came out with stitches all over his forehead to address his match with Cactus Jack the night before, he was great here and he even got loud babyface chants. Edge came out to as big a response as Benoit got earlier, he was just coming off his year away with his neck injury. He dared Orton to spit in his face like he did to Foley, but was told he wasn't even worth the time. Edge then started beating him down with his one hand without a plaster over it and both looked like huge stars. This lead to Evolution coming out and beating down Edge, before Benoit made the save. Bischoff then announced that Flair & Batista would be putting their titles on the line later on against Edge & Benoit.

The match ended up being excellent, I wouldn't even say it was preposterous to say it is nearly on the level of Austin/Triple H Vs. Jericho/Benoit from 2001. Edge and Benoit ended up winning the quite long for Raw main event, and it was a great moment. I truly recommend giving this a watch, even the women's match of Victoria Vs. Molly Holly (Doing the wig gimmick) is fun.

William Regal loses Eugene in a game of hide an seek and ends up finding him shooting T Shirts into the crowd, and ends up getting shot in the balls in a truly hilarious Regal moment. It's mad to believe how well the show was done and how everyone in the mid card (Edge, Orton, Batista, Jericho, Christian etc) and even the women look like real stars. Here is the links to the show in great quality, I honestly can't recommend it enough.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Oh My Lord.

Bought loads of stuff from Silvervision last week and finally getting around to watching it, watching The Ladder Match DVD. Forgot how ace The Rock vs Triple H was but what i came here to go on about was the very 1st Tables, Ladders and Chairs Match. Good grief it is awesome still. First off, compared to today its absolutely crazy how much response they get from the crowd for Tag Team Midcarders. I tell ya, Sheamus, Alberto Del Rio and company would kill to get a reaction like these guys did. Anyway, how mental and amazing is the match? Bubba going through the Tables outside, Jeff off the Ladder through the Table outside, Jeff and Devon hanging from the cables, Litas appearance and the crowd going crazy, then Edge spearing her on the outside. I feel like I have a ton of adrenaline after watching it. Its hard to match that excitement these days! But I'd just love to see something like that come back, I'm sure Kofi Kingston and R-Truth could produce some real quality if given some decent opponents and a good feud!

• Paid Members
I tell ya, Sheamus, Alberto Del Rio and company would kill to get a reaction like these guys did.

I bet Edge, Christian, Jeff Hardy and Matt Hardy would swap their necks, backs and knees with Sheamus and Alberto though. You pay the price for matches like that. Like the era of Smackdown in 2002/03 that everyone raves about. Look at those lot now - Edge isn't in the business, Rey Mysterio is a mess, Guerrero and Benoit died in incredible pain daily, Kurt Angle's neck has been damaged for good. Taking German suplexes every night or taking back first drops into ladders might be fun for the crowd, but in the long term, it'll fuck you up.

Anyway, Alberto Del Rio did get reactions like that, when he threw himself around the ring in that ladder match against Christian last year. Ladder matches usually do.

I tell ya, Sheamus, Alberto Del Rio and company would kill to get a reaction like these guys did.

I bet Edge, Christian, Jeff Hardy and Matt Hardy would swap their necks, backs and knees with Sheamus and Alberto though. You pay the price for matches like that. Like the era of Smackdown in 2002/03 that everyone raves about. Look at those lot now - Edge isn't in the business, Rey Mysterio is a mess, Guerrero and Benoit died in incredible pain daily, Kurt Angle's neck has been damaged for good. Taking German suplexes every night or taking back first drops into ladders might be fun for the crowd, but in the long term, it'll fuck you up.

Anyway, Alberto Del Rio did get reactions like that, when he threw himself around the ring in that ladder match against Christian last year. Ladder matches usually do.

They didn't just get a reaction because they did mental stuff in Ladders matches though. Oh you're definately right but I didn't mean it in that way. On the night of that Summerslam and every other night they were out they got good reactions from the crowd.

Watched the iPPV from CHIKARA from the weekend, and was actually very impressed. The Young Bucks vs. Johnny Gargano and Chuck Taylor was about as close as we got to a standout match, but I don't think anything was amazing but nothing dropped below good either. Just a good solid show from start to finish.

They didn't just get a reaction because they did mental stuff in Ladders matches though. Oh you're definately right but I didn't mean it in that way. On the night of that Summerslam and every other night they were out they got good reactions from the crowd.

I'm loving Sheamus' work lately. Everything he does looks stiff as fuck even to the point it looks he's taking liberties sometimes. His short but stiff back and forth bout with Otunga a few weeks back was a class little watch. Two massive lads just kicking the shit out of each other.

Smackdown's class atm too with an abundance of good characters. Ryback, Cesaro, Sandow and the Primetime Playas are all must see.

Just finishing watching Wrestlemania 22. Working my way through all Mania's. Can't wait to get to 24 so I can watch in Blu Ray HD goodness.

Good show so far. Watching CM Punk during Cena's entrance made me smile.

• 2 months later...

Right, I'm off work on Monday and fancy watching three Summerslams with my day. Seen em all before, some more than others, but I can't decide who or what I want to see in particular. Tell me which three to watch, and why. A decent mix is appreciated but not mandatory. Ta.

• Paid Members
Right, I'm off work on Monday and fancy watching three Summerslams with my day. Seen em all before, some more than others, but I can't decide who or what I want to see in particular. Tell me which three to watch, and why. A decent mix is appreciated but not mandatory. Ta.

2002 should put you right in the mood for the upcoming Lesnar vs Triple H match, with both guys in amazing matches on that card.

• Paid Members

Ok then, i'll go for this as you've made me feel like doing the same and i'll give you three of my favourites and three that i have access to. That's not an invite to come and join me though, you've made it clear that's not a good idea.

SummerSlam '97- It's not a killer show all the way through but it's one of my favourites for sure. At the height of my fandom, smack bang in the middle of a bunch of my favourite angles, feuds, character developments, the start of real big things to come. And the main event is a real under-rated one in my book because it's a fucking masterpiece and the finish is absolutely glorious. The greatest match finish there's ever been.

The cage match that starts the show is a treat and is pinnacle moment in the evolution of Mick Foley, which at the time of it all, utterly engrossed me. I thoroughly enjoyed going on that journey. The main, at the height of the Shawn-Bret issue is ultra heated and ultra intense. I can't express enough love for this match and finish.

SummerSlam 2000- Another at the height of a thoroughly entertaining angle that i was completely into. But more than anything, i'd recommend this show because i think it sums up the majority of 2000 WWF extremely well, it's just a whole shitload of fun. In fact, 2000 blatantly peaked with this show. Well paced and fun throughout, a whole host of different characters all totally over. The first TLC, which of course is tremendous, yes, fun. The main event could so easily have fallen apart but is worth watching purely for how well King amongst men Triple H holds it all together (if you're into that sort of thing). The match doesn't suffer at all for the unfortunate incident and still ends with a great angle and anticipation for what comes next.

SummerSlam 2002 It's ten years ago and it's Brocks other big SummerSlam, so yeah watch this for that. But also, because it's one of WWEs best ever PPVs top to bottom, with only one real dud. The opposite of 2000 in this doesn't accurately represent 2002 at all because it's the exception in that it's utterly fucking excellent all over the shop. A super-faced paced, exciting, explosive opener, a perfect opener, sets the tone beautifully. Shawn returns and blows everyone away with his shocking performance, working everyone marvelously. A fun tag title match, a good IC title match and i adore the main event. The true arrival of Brock Lesnar and a match that may well be a once ever between two true bona-fide larger than life stars. It's cracking. And Brocks reaction to winning is just tremendous. The roster of talent they had at their disposal here is incredible.

I would go for ...

Summer Slam 1994 - despite the shitfest that was Taker v Taker the rest is fairly strong... Particularly hart v hart cage match and the women's title match... All in all it was fairly solid and good nostalgia!

Summer Slam 2001 - forgotten compared to 2002 but RVD vs hardy was fun, Austin v angle was a good brawling encounter and the general mixed promotion matches made this one for me!

Summer Slam 2006 - iirc this featured Cena vs Edge, Flair v

Foley and Sabu v Show

None of the shows were hideous but nothing that stood out either... I also loved Hart vs Taker (97) and a few of the older and newer shows.... You will hear a lot of 02, 98 and some maybe 88 but I gave some not so looked at slams!

• Paid Members

Top 3:

SummerSlam 89 - An excellent opener with the Harts vs The Brain Busters, an awesome six man featuring Martel, Jacques and Raymond vs The Rockers and Tito, another entertaining 3 on 3 bout with Boss Man, Akeem and Andre vs The Demolition and Hacksaw Duggan, a superb Warrior vs Rude match and an electric main event. The fans don't seem to stop screaming throughout the night. I'm actually halfway through reviewing this for the Old School thread.

SummerSlam 91 - It has the match made in heaven and the match made in hell. Which are both great to watch back for different reasons. Other than that there's the LOD and the Nasties smacking the shite out of each other and a miracle of a match between Virgil and Ted DiBiase. Oh and it has the match of the year between Bret and Perfect as well.

SummerSlam 2002 - Best match of 2002 (and arguably the decade) from Michaels vs HHH, a good Brock vs Rock main event, a match between B*no*t and RVD that is so physical RVD's usually plastered down ponytail comes loose for the first time ever. Good matches scattered all over the card actually.

Archived