Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you woke up tomorrow and it was 1st January 2016, because you were being forced to relive the year until it wasn't such a smear on human history, how would you personally go about trying to put it right?

Or would you just place some unlikely sounding bets and enjoy your time over and over again?

• Paid Members

Guys, I got my girl the record player for Christmas. Bought a preamp and all. But for some reason it still doesn't work. Like I can hear this quiet, tinny music coming from the player itself but nothing to the speakers. I'm using those red and white connectors to audio in cables through the preamp. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? Thanks.

Guys, I got my girl the record player for Christmas. Bought a preamp and all. But for some reason it still doesn't work. Like I can hear this quiet, tinny music coming from the player itself but nothing to the speakers. I'm using those red and white connectors to audio in cables through the preamp. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? Thanks.

Is it a USB turntable? If so it might have an issue with the audio connectors. The sound you're hearing is the stylus hitting the grooves so the needle on the stylus can be ruled out. Also are the RCA (red and white) cables plugged into an input port, since you'll need to input them to output sound through the speakers. Also have you tried the setup taking the preamp out of the equation, i.e. Plugging it straight into the speakers?. I'm guessing there's an issue between record player and the preamp or the connections aren't correct. Again if it's a USB turntable then they are setup differently to a traditional one. The sound is also outputted through the USB cable, so if you've set it up through a PC, get something like Audacity and click the input recording option and it'll have like a different option than usual, sometimes the turntables name. Then hit record and if a wave form pops up it's working.

Maybe take a pic of the back of the turntable, the preamp and the speakers and it might be easier to see how you've set it all up and to find a solution.

I've just watched Everest, the film from last year based on the 1996 disaster, and at the end it says the bodies are left on the mountain. I just wondered if anyone knows if that is done as a gesture in a similar vein to scattering someones ashes in/on/at a place that means a lot to them, as i assume logistically it wouldn't be impossible to get someone down if they wanted to?

I've just watched Everest, the film from last year based on the 1996 disaster, and at the end it says the bodies are left on the mountain. I just wondered if anyone knows if that is done as a gesture in a similar vein to scattering someones ashes in/on/at a place that means a lot to them, as i assume logistically it wouldn't be impossible to get someone down if they wanted to?

Yeah I think it's because it is far too risky to retrieve them. Certainly in the case of those who fell to their death.

Ye I guess, I was thinking more about the Rob guy who perished who it said was still up there and he seemed to be laid in a fairly easy to get to spot (as they would have rescued him if the weather hadn't being so bad) but I guess he might not have still been in that place by the time they got up..

Trying to finally make a start working my way through a folder with like 100gb worth of assorted files/documentaries/tv shows so I know which stuff deserves a place on my external hard drive but I usually end up reverting to stuff i've seen before when I sit down to eat tea or whatever so using today and tomorrow to try get through some stuff. Watched Everest, Neighbors, We Were Soldiers and the first couple of episodes of Wentworth so far today so not doing too bad.

Does anyone know if Burn Notice, Terriers and Peaky Blinders are worth watching?

It would be too dangerous to bring him back down too. They couldn't exactly stretcher the poor fucker down with them. Pretty grim reminder of how perilous it is to climb it, passing those who didn't make it.

Archived