Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Ah ok, I just assumed if they can get gas cannisters/rucksacks etc. up there they could potentially get a body down if they wanted to assuming if it was accessible, which is why I was thinking perhaps they leave them there as a mark of respect or whatever. But ye, I'd definitely like to take one of the plane rides by it someday to see if for myself but I think that's about as close as I need to get

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a website dedicated to those perished on Everest, who is used as a marker and so on, links may even be in the doco thread. Definitely from here that was linked to it.

Called the Death Zone. I think some Sherpas tried to clean or tag or move some of the bodies in the last few years, but it wasnt a huge success due to the problems involved

Cheers, just read about it and it mentions, as you said, the risks and huge effort required of retrieving bodies in that zone, even if they are in relatively accessible places, so that clears my assumptions up about climbers wishing to be left there should the worst happen..

Trying to finally make a start working my way through a folder with like 100gb worth of assorted files/documentaries/tv shows so I know which stuff deserves a place on my external hard drive but I usually end up reverting to stuff i've seen before when I sit down to eat tea or whatever so using today and tomorrow to try get through some stuff. Watched Everest, Neighbors, We Were Soldiers and the first couple of episodes of Wentworth so far today so not doing too bad.

It may please you to know it was commissioned for a full series. Set aside a weekend sometime. :)

• Paid Members

Guys, I got my girl the record player for Christmas. Bought a preamp and all. But for some reason it still doesn't work. Like I can hear this quiet, tinny music coming from the player itself but nothing to the speakers. I'm using those red and white connectors to audio in cables through the preamp. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? Thanks.

Is it a USB turntable? If so it might have an issue with the audio connectors. The sound you're hearing is the stylus hitting the grooves so the needle on the stylus can be ruled out. Also are the RCA (red and white) cables plugged into an input port, since you'll need to input them to output sound through the speakers. Also have you tried the setup taking the preamp out of the equation, i.e. Plugging it straight into the speakers?. I'm guessing there's an issue between record player and the preamp or the connections aren't correct. Again if it's a USB turntable then they are setup differently to a traditional one. The sound is also outputted through the USB cable, so if you've set it up through a PC, get something like Audacity and click the input recording option and it'll have like a different option than usual, sometimes the turntables name. Then hit record and if a wave form pops up it's working.

Maybe take a pic of the back of the turntable, the preamp and the speakers and it might be easier to see how you've set it all up and to find a solution.

Thanks for the advice. It's not a USB one. It has the two RCA cables coming directly from the turntable which I have connected to a pre-amp. I then bought a RCA to audio in cable for the other side of the preamp. There are no RCA inputs on the stereo speakers so can't do that. Pics: https://twitter.com/tweetsbehere/status/815978403547480064

• Paid Members

The Chinese women who died in the 1996 disaster got brought down. Her husband paid for it. She was high up between the last camp and the summit. 

Some off the landmark bodies that have been there 15+ years have disappeared recently. Most likely weather conditions. 

No worries Spurs. From your pic it looks like you have your output and input in the wrong order. You'll need to connect the turntable into the preamp as input, RCA to audio lead needs to be the output, since you'll be outputting sound. Otherwise I'd try and find a way to test if it's either the turntable, cables or preamp at fault. If you have a way to do a direct turntable to RCA setup (some pcs have rca ports on the back) and that'll rule out the turntable and one set of the cables. I also found this which might help

https://www.turntablelab.com/pages/beginners-guide-to-turntables

Also some turntables have a preamp included so that could be the source of your problem since the other one isn't really required. Have you checked the instructions for the table and preamp, as there might be something specific you need to do. there might be a setting for output on the preamp too since your not going thru a traditional RCA cable output but a conversion one. Also one way to test is to set it up as is now and plug the RCA to stereo cable into your PC/laptop line in (sometimes it has to be in the mic port) and try and record something via audacity. I'd use this since you can change the input sources. If it's silent or is distorted then swap the cables around as I've said then try recording again. If it all works unplug it and try it with speakers. For them are you plugging into a line in?. You'll need to input sound to output it so you'll need to see if the speakers can accept that type of connection. Also if you have a stereo/hifi to try it on it would be better since it would in general have the correct ports you need. I'd also double check everything is plugged in and powered correctly that any volume etc settings are turned up.

• Paid Members

I'll try all that out. Cheers. One thing I just noticed is that the RCA to aux cable I bought, the insides are white and white (one has a black head and the other a red). Is it also possible I've actually bought the incorrect cable?

These days most turntables/amps have a built-in preamp, I was using one for years before finding out it wasn't necessary. It still worked perfectly fine but just wasn't needed. You are putting the leads into the phono plug in the back of the amp aren't you (highly unlikely you're putting them in the wrong holes but you have to rule all the easy stuff out first)

I'll try all that out. Cheers. One thing I just noticed is that the RCA to aux cable I bought, the insides are white and white (one has a black head and the other a red). Is it also possible I've actually bought the incorrect cable?

Cable should be fine. Usually they are red and white but as long as its RCA to stereo jack it should be alright. I'd also like Garry says check the small things like everything is correctly plugged in as there might be a loose connection. If wires are taught then they'll be a signal loss, which would result in no sound. Again I'd try a direct connection from turntable to PC, RCA from it to audio input on PC. Then it'll be a thumbs up for both the turntable and the RCA to stereo cable working. Then you just do a direct connection to the speakers.

• Paid Members

BLOGS

How should I go about setting one up? Advice in general appreciated.

I used to write a fair amount of opinion-editorial stuff in student newspapers and I now have a job where I'm expected to write the odd blog post. Consequently, I have the taste for it again and would like to set up my own for the mostly political/philosophical/historical wankery that I spout. 

EDIT: Houchen to the rescue.

• Paid Members

Totally on a different trend. Could some kind soul possibly photoshop this picture of Fred Dibnah so that he's covered in blood ala Patrick Bateman in American Psycho for me? It's in honour of our'Fred's expected murder spree at the Royal Rumble. I'd like to use it as a sig.

P7FredDibnah.jpg

Archived