Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

According to Eubank Snr it was DeGale's mother who tried to get Groves removed from the broadcast. Snr isn't the most credible of sources, but he might be right on this occasion. It's not just Groves and DeGale who legitimately dislike each other. The families of both fighters dislike one another as well. I've never really had much of an issue with DeGale. But aye. I'm glad it was Groves who had the last laugh. 

BJS vs Eubank Jnr 2 makes sense for late summer. Whether they can make it happen is another matter. 

• Paid Members

Saunders is wank. Decent boxer, but, for me, overrated and has been living off the fumes of that Lemieux win forever now. Talks a ton of shit yet pulls out of fights constantly. Failed a drug test. Is now ducking Andrade. Subhuman cunt as a person. 

Top CV! 

• Paid Members

I agree with most in here. I think Jr handled his business very well and, in the end, was pretty comfortable. Fuck paying for that, though. The spinebuster was apt because. christ, there was a lot of grappling involved in there, proper stopped the fight flowing into anything good.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Saunders is wank. Decent boxer, but, for me, overrated and has been living off the fumes of that Lemieux win forever now. Talks a ton of shit yet pulls out of fights constantly. Failed a drug test. Is now ducking Andrade. Subhuman cunt as a person. 

Top CV! 

yeh, the Lemieux win put Saunders on abit of a pedestal, he failed miserably in taking advantage of it though. Now he'd moved away from a big fight with Andrade to fight at Super Middle. I dont know if its cause he cant be fucked to make Middleweight anymore or if hes getting some strange advice. 

20 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Say what you want about BJS, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who ducks anyone. If the money and circumstances are right I think he'd fight AJ, personally. 

Edited by David

• Paid Members

I somewhat agree. I think a fit Billy Joe Saunders will fight anyone, i have no doubts that he's pulled out of fights claming injury when its more likely that he just wasn't going to be ready to fight. Saunders has pulled out of loads of fights in the last couple of years. The move to Super Middle now is curious too because Saunders claimed to still be chasing GGG/Canelo yet he's moved out of the division when he had a Middleweight title fight with Andrade on tap. A Saunders/Eubank rematch in a unification fight of sorts seems to most likely path now, maybe later in the year.

And ive been watchings bits and pieces about this Fury/ESPN deal. Thats muddied the waters at heavyweight. In the press conference Warren was saying "its the Tyson Fury show now, the others have to come to us", but why would they when Tyson has no belt to barter with? i dont get it. Fury's sitting pretty on a huge money deal but neither Wilder or AJ are gonna give up the promotional rights or the majority of the money to fight Fury. The general feeling too was that they are gonna keep Fury ticking over with fights every three months, so im expecting a pretty frustrating year as far as matchmaking goes.

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The move to Super Middle now is curious too because Saunders claimed to still be chasing GGG/Canelo yet he's moved out of the division when he had a Middleweight title fight with Andrade on tap.

Did he really though? I've heard that Golovkin was always going to be the #1 contender to Andrade, and that's the fight Andrade wants. He's been campaigning hard for that.

BJS said recently that he doesn't believe either Canelo or Golovkin will ever fight him, and that moving up is just to give him some more options. He can always move back down as well, although DAZN pretty much has the entire business end of the middleweight division sown up, don't they? They have Andrade, Jacobs, Canelo, plus Golovkin is close to signing as well it seems.

It's just the way the landscape is at the moment.

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

And ive been watchings bits and pieces about this Fury/ESPN deal. Thats muddied the waters at heavyweight. In the press conference Warren was saying "its the Tyson Fury show now, the others have to come to us", but why would they when Tyson has no belt to barter with? i dont get it. Fury's sitting pretty on a huge money deal but neither Wilder or AJ are gonna give up the promotional rights or the majority of the money to fight Fury. The general feeling too was that they are gonna keep Fury ticking over with fights every three months, so im expecting a pretty frustrating year as far as matchmaking goes.

Let's be realistic here, the Fury vs AJ fight was never going to happen. Hearn made it clear that AJ was only ever interested in Wilder, even saying before Wilder fought Fury that he'd still want to make AJ vs Wilder even if Wilder had lost!

So, Fury has basically come back from the boxing dead to signing a huge deal within a year of his return. In all honesty, every other fucker in the division is playing promotional games and looking to wring as much dough out of their careers as possible, so why not join in? Make some big money, fight who you can, and retire with decent bank.

• Paid Members

well, Andrade/Saunders was all made once and according to Hearn that was always the plan once Saunders came back. You never know though?

edit* just read that Saunders turned down the terms offered for the Andrade fight and opted to move up instead. 

The Fury situation is a strange one, im not really sure how it can go now. Each of the top 3 now will fight other guys next so after June we have a better idea of whats gonna happen, but right now its all up in the air. As a fan it's intriguing but disappointing at the same time. It sounds like all 3 will sit on top of their broadcast throne and goad each other whilst nothing really happens. 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Well Wilder’s claiming he’s free to fight anywhere now so maybe he’s done with Showtime. If DAZN get him that should make the AJ fight easier. And of course, ESPN will no doubt be making him offers, if he is indeed free to negotiate, to get that Fury rematch on. 

Stephen Espinoza and Eddie Hearn had a little exchange on Twitter earlier as well, with Espinoza claiming they did send Hearn/Matchroom/Sky a contract for AJ vs Wilder. 

Hearn’s response;

Fuck knows at this point. One of them is flat-out lying their arse off though. Either the contract was sent or it wasn’t, someone’s a porky pie telling cunt. Fight promoters have to be right up there with politicians don’t they, for being massive snakey bullshit merchants.  

16 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

well, Andrade/Saunders was all made once and according to Hearn that was always the plan once Saunders came back. You never know though?

edit* just read that Saunders turned down the terms offered for the Andrade fight and opted to move up instead.

Like everything else in boxing these days, there's all manner of shit going on in the background we don't know about most likely. I'd also heard that DAZN were using the fight with Andrade as part of the deal to tempt Golovkin into the fold, as he wants that fight as well. 

And Andrade wanted the Golovkin fight, which makes sense as he's more of an attraction than Saunders is, isn't he?

16 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The Fury situation is a strange one, im not really sure how it can go now. Each of the top 3 now will fight other guys next so after June we have a better idea of whats gonna happen, but right now its all up in the air. As a fan it's intriguing but disappointing at the same time. It sounds like all 3 will sit on top of their broadcast throne and goad each other whilst nothing really happens.

And they'll all make a fortune while doing so. What looked like it could be the best era in heavyweight boxing for a while now looks like it may be the worst, as the only thing worse than having a shit division is a division with good fighters who won't fight each other.

15 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Stephen Espinoza and Eddie Hearn had a little exchange on Twitter earlier as well, with Espinoza claiming they did send Hearn/Matchroom/Sky a contract for AJ vs Wilder. 

The more this situation rumbles on the more I doubt Hearns version. Unless, of course, there's four or five other boxing guys lying and he's the only one telling the truth.

• Paid Members
On 2/26/2019 at 11:53 AM, David said:

Like everything else in boxing these days, there's all manner of shit going on in the background we don't know about most likely. I'd also heard that DAZN were using the fight with Andrade as part of the deal to tempt Golovkin into the fold, as he wants that fight as well. 

And Andrade wanted the Golovkin fight, which makes sense as he's more of an attraction than Saunders is, isn't he?

sorry to drag it back up, but on Eddie Hearns latest IFL interview hes claiming Saunders was offered Andrade for big money with the winner getting the winner of Canelo/Jacobs but turned it down to move to Super Middle which if true doesn't make much sense. Apparently Gilberto Ramirez is refusing to give up his WBO Super Middleweight title so Saunders next fight not even be for a title.