Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I watched it, was an ok scrap. Thurman was caught good in the 7th. Id fancy Crawford and Spence to beat Thurman. Not just on that performance but on previous outings before his injury.

George Groves has hung up the gloves. Fairplay to him. Still only 30, been in some great scraps. Bet Degale is a bit gutted. If he beats Eubank now where does he go? Smith would smash him. 

Aye, Degale will be pissed. I guess Groves gets the last laugh in their rivalry. I remember Elliot Worsell writing a few months back that the Groves vs Degale rivalry isn't played out for the cameras. They legitimately despise one another. 

I always had a soft spot for Groves, despite being a Froch supporter. Even though he played the villain at points in his career, there was always something likeable about him. I always got the impression that he was a nice bloke. The entire rivalry with Froch was one heck of a ride. It played a role in making boxing popular again in this country. I was lucky enough to be at Manchester arena for the first fight. 

A lot of people thought he was done after the losses to Froch and Jack. Yet, he turned his career around with Shane McGuigan and finally won the world title that seemed destined to elude him. I am sure some will say his performance in the first fight against Froch or the Degale win were his finest moments. But for me, it was the win over Eubank. He was a slight underdog going into that fight. Yet, he soundly outboxed Eubank and survived a shoulder injury that occurred late in the fight. 

I will miss watching him fight. But probably the right time for him. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

We've been blessed in this country over the years to have some amazing super middleweight fighters. Calzaghe, Benn, Eubank snr,  Watson, Froch, Groves. 

Groves may not have been the best of them but you can't fault him, he didn't duck anyone, and in beating Degale and Eubank jr he did us the favour of beating a right pair of wankers. 

Like Jim says, it's the right time for him to get out. Nothing left to prove and he doesn't strike me as someone who spunked away all his money, so getting out while he is relatively healthy is a good call. 

• Paid Members

So apparently Eddie Hearn is the “worst promoter in the world” and is “fucking up Anthony Joshua’s career”.

Says Brendan Schaub. 

Joshua is 28 years old, only 22 fights into his career, has 4 world titles and a quick Google search estimates his net worth is somewhere in the region of £30 million. I wish someone would fuck my career up like Eddie has AJ’s. 

I’m not even a fan of Hearn and I don’t doubt he’s got his shady side like any promoter. But Schaub really is an idiot. Just blindly laps up the pro-Wilder side of things and doesn’t even seem interested in exploring the other side of the argument at all. I love him going ‘I don’t have any insider knowledge here but...’ then talking as if he knows the exact number Hearn offered Fury too. Schaub is as useful as a knitted condom. 

And I’m sure none of this is because Hearn shot down Schaub’s argument a few months ago on twitter. Definitely nothing to do with that. Can’t we send Big Nog over to faceplant him again? Once a month, forever? 

• Paid Members

Really good IFL interview with George Groves on his retirement, career etc. 

Definitely agree with what Jim said as well, about the Froch vs Groves rivalry being a big part of the reason Boxing blew up again in the UK. I think after Hatton lost to Mayweather and Pacquiao the sport’s popularity did dip a bit for a while over here. Two things really seemed to reignite the flame for Boxing in the UK. The 2012 London Olympics and Froch vs Groves. Anthony Joshua turning pro coming along behind that continued the wave of momentum, then you had Fury dethroning Klitschko in Germany. I guess it was the perfect storm but, for me, Froch vs Groves played a massive part. We’re in the days now where AJ packing Wembley to the brim is common but the thought of a fight filling Wembley with 80,000 seemed like a bit of a fantasy just a year before Froch-Groves 2. Joshua was on the undercard that night. He’d have always caught on eventually but I definitely think the way that Froch vs Groves thing played out sped up the process and ensured that a huge audience were already well on board as AJ was starting his pro career. 

Froch came off as a bit of a twat when Groves’ retirement was announced. To the point Andre Ward even slapped him down on twitter over it. Don’t get why Froch is bitter about Groves. He won the feud, knocked Groves spark out, at Wembley and made him fall on his own leg, and got paid enough coin to never have to fight again. Yet still feels the need to have a dig. I was 100% rooting for Froch back when he fought Groves and was over the moon when he KO’d him. But I’ve done a bit of a 180 the last few years on both. I turned the corner on Groves a while ago. He’s matured and seems a good guy. And I can’t really find it in my heart to dislike anyone who’s a rival of James DeGale. My enemy’s enemy is my friend and all that. Plus he humbled Eubank Jr. Well, momentarily. That plus some really good fights since the Froch thing, meant Groves won me round. Whereas Froch, great fighter. One of my favourites ever to watch. But he’s come off as a right sour-faced joyless knob since retiring. Never stops shoehorning that he ‘fought in front of 80,000 at Wembley’ into every interview and keeps having childish snarky digs at Groves and Ward especially. Bit sad considering he’s someone who, from the outside looking in, appears to have the dream life. Beautiful family, a ton of money, retired on a massive win with his belts and the respect of his peers, a cushty commentary gig with Sky etc etc. But he always seems negative to me, rarely smiles and is slowly morphing into Jim Watt on commentary. It’s like the moment Froch landed that KO punch and Groves fell on his own leg, they did a Bret Hart-Steve Austin double turn. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Froch is an odd one these days. I think the constant references to fighting in front of 80k people is an inside joke. It's part of his humour. But it understandably goes over some people's heads. Hearn once told a story about Froch and a fan. The fan asked Froch for an autograph. Froch said no and walked away. Seconds later, Froch returned ready to give the fan an autograph. But the fan had already departed. It was understandably not clear to the fan that Froch was mucking about. 

But he's a crap commentator. No excuses there. And he does occasionally comes across as a right knob on Twitter and in interviews. Joe Calzaghe is another that he occasionally has a sneer at. 

• Paid Members
On 1/28/2019 at 7:50 PM, wandshogun09 said:

So apparently Eddie Hearn is the “worst promoter in the world” and is “fucking up Anthony Joshua’s career”.

Says Brendan Schaub. 

i think Schaub echoes the general feeling from across the pond. They really do view things from a different perspective over there.

Schaub's an embarrasment when anaysing fights though. I like his interviews but he wings his way through analysis without knowing much of what hes talking about. His boxing knowledge is incredibly limited.

I think Eddie Hearn fucked himself over when he started with all this Shirley Winkle  immature stupid shit. I imagine the American promoters and fans didnt like this, it was embarrassing.  And he did lowball Wilder with an offer as well and tried to say “well it’s 4 times more than he’s ever earned before” Thats not the point, it’s how much the fight is worth. As far as i’m aware, big fights are normally done on percentages.

Joshua still has an very decent resume but the fact is he needs a fight with Fury or Wilder or the backlash will continue.

Joshua needs to throw Whyte a few more quid and get the fight on.

The Miller fight will do shite in the US i imagine and a considerably lower number of ppv buys in the UK than what Joshua is used to. 

• Paid Members

it's all abit of a mess and no one seems willing to budge. It does look like Wilder/Fury II will happen though which is the fight i wanted. At this point i wouldn't see against Joshua/Miller if it means it led to the winner of Fury/Wilder later in the year.

Brendan has learnt from the master, hasn’t he?

He has that same casual, chatty, ‘it’s just my opinion, folks’ style that people love - whilst on all big points, his opinion perfectly marries up with the people writing his cheques.

The Wilder deal was fine until Fury came into the picture - before that, Wilder was struggling to sell tickets in his hometown (never mind in the big cities), wasn’t doing great numbers and was generally considered a ‘just there’ champion. The deal was to bring an American B-Leveller and put him in front of 90,000 people in the UK. That made sense.

But the minute he entered Fury’s orbit, his name got bigger and the deal began to look retrospectively ridiculous. A bit unfair on Matchroom perhaps, as they couldn’t have known, but I think the big mistake made was doubling down on it and still trying to defend it, or ridicule the Fury/Wilder fight. That’s what caused the real animosity to start, and probably makes future negotiations really tricky.

I don’t think AJ’s next fight matters really. Even if he took an Ortiz, who people have labeled as some heavyweight boogeyman, he’d still be accused of ducking. It’s what comes next that matters - if they can’t make AJ versus the winner of Fury/Wilder, that’s when the real trouble starts.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Josh Taylors WBSS opponent has withdrawn from the tournament, according to reports, he's the first of many. The wheels are falling off.

edit* Kalle has just posted that the fight is happening in May. What's going on!?

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Matchroom card from the o2 this Saturday. Ted Cheeseman/Sergio Garcia main event.

480x281-9277e771dd.jpg

Looks more like a nxtgen rather than an o2 show but its a big platform for Cheeseman who challenges for the European title. Could be a bit of a darkhorse breakout year for him. Not a lot of flash but he brings it and will break people who cant match his pace.

What more notable than the actual fight itself is that absolute classic fight promo from Sky...

so bad, its brilliant.

Got the Alvarez/Kovalev rematch this weekend too on Boxnation. I didnt even watch the first fight because i thought it was a standard blowout for Kovalev. People thinks he finished though and he loses again here, add in all the legal trouble he has outside the ring and they could be right.

unnamed-6.jpg