Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

well, looks like its finally sorted. AJ/Miller in New York, June 1st or 8th.

Reports/rumors stating that Dillian Whyte turned down 5 million quid for the Wembley fight, absolute madness if that's true.

• Paid Members

A right shame the fight is off because outside of AJ v the other big two, I was looking forward to the Whyte match.

Hearn definitely needs to be careful how he handles this year. You can sense some of the fans are growing tired with the "I want to fight him" talk only for it to not happen and, importantly, Wilder and Fury face off twice in no time without much bother. It's not a good look despite what the truth may be.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Yeah, it’s underwhelming. I’d be fine with AJ vs Big Baby in other circumstances. The novelty of seeing Joshua fight in America, Miller’s size and shit talk etc. It’s got something. But when there’s Fury, Wilder and Whyte knocking about, it just feels like a letdown. 

It’s a risky one as well, because you just never know with heavyweight fighting. The margin for error is so small when you have 18st monsters throwing hands. Joshua is almost certainly beating Miller but there’s always that chance he weaves when he should’ve bobbed and gets cracked, and there goes your Wembley megafight with Fury or whatever, for the foreseeable anyway. It’s all well and good thinking you can keep putting it off and the fight will keep getting bigger. That only works if you all keep winning. All it takes is one of them (AJ, Fury, Wilder) to get knocked out and it could go up in smoke. 

I don’t know what to believe anymore. If Whyte turned down £5mil it sounds barmy but who knows what’s true anymore? 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I don’t know what to believe anymore. If Whyte turned down £5mil it sounds barmy but who knows what’s true anymore? 

maxresdefault.jpg

"Bro, my sources told me Whyte got offered 50 euros and some New Balance sneakers. WHAT ARE YOU DOING, MAN. Whyte should totally take up MMA, I've heard from my sources he's taking down Olympic level wrestlers during his training camp"

"Boxing training camp?"

"Yeah, bro. It's insane. Let him take ALLL the picograms" 

Man, I just watched the Hearn and Whyte video. 

As much as I think Hearn's story with regards to the whole AJ/Wilder carry on is questionable to say the least, he's fighting a losing battle with Whyte. You've got someone here who's effectively making these calls on his own by the sounds of it, which isn't ideal when your strong suit isn't numbers and business. Whyte needs to stick to punching people in the face for a living and leave the career management to others.

He's coming at the whole thing from a boxers bravado viewpoint rather than looking at the actual numbers. I actually felt sorry for Hearn there, because he was unfairly put on the spot to address issues that should be discussed privately between him and his fighter. This wasn't a video of one promoter laying it on thick about another, which we all enjoy as boxing fans, this was a promoter trying to be as honest as he could without having to outright tell his fighter that he's a fucking dolt.