Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Big Ed is just Dana White with better hair.

Also saw it mentioned by @Egg Shen in the MMA section that Nathan Gorman is no longer fighting former MMA punching bag Fabio Maldonado. Instead he'll be taking on Kevin Johnson, who provides a tougher test for Gorman in my opinion.

This is the only guy to take Daniel Dubois the full ten I think, and he also went the distance with both Tyson Fury and Dereck Chisora, as well as Kubrat Pulev.

He also went the full 12 with Vitali Klitschko back in the day.

Don't see Gorman losing mind you, but if he gets Johnson out of there early it'll be quite a statement. The only fighter to really blow Johnson out early doors is Joshua.

Edited by David

Gorman has no power, i imagine it will be little more than a sparring session.

I love how hypocritical Hearn is about the TV networks. Banging on about Joshua can fight on any network. A few months back he was saying the 50million offer was a no starter as Warren and BT were involved and Joshua has to fight on Sky. Despite the fights not being made i love the fact that Hearn is getting headfucked by Wilder. Wilder playing a smart game. A few months ago he was getting offered 12 million for the Joshua fight, now hes getting offered 3 or 4 fight deals worth 100 and 120 million! Saying that though, if he gets beat by Brazeale he looks a bit of an idiot.

• Paid Members

He said Joshua had to fight on Sky over here. Over in the states he could fight on any of the networks, that's what he said. You have to want to hear that though. You've decided you don't like Hearn, which is fair enough, I can understand that. Whatever he says you are going to disbelieve. 

I take them all with a pinch of salt. I'm sure there was some truth to what Hearn was saying,  you are getting his version after all. 

• Paid Members

a switch up in the Fury plans, all but confirmed now that he'll be fighting a German bloke called Tom Schwarz in May. It will officially be announced on ESPN's Pulev fight card on Saturday.

"Should Fury have walked away from Wilder & Joshua for this?"

I don't think any of the three top guys have "walked away" from anything, because there's been absolutely nothing concrete on the table, no matter what certain YouTube personalities may say. There's been a lot of posturing on all sides, with all of them claiming that the other is to blame for the fans not getting the big fights.

Fury's making $20 million to fight this guy. He made $3 million base to fight Wilder first time around, plus odds & ends from tickets and a share of the PPV sales. He's hardly walking away from a fortune to make fuck all, is he? He'll be just fine even if he never fights Joshua or Wilder.

What's happened now is that he's managed to negotiate himself into a position similar to Joshua where it doesn't matter who he fights, he's making that $20 million guaranteed for his next five fights.

Edited by David

15 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The maths don't quite work on that David. 5 fight deal for $80 million. $16 million a fight. Still not bad, and certainly much more than Wilder has earned for any fight do far. 

It's £80 million, which is just over $100 million.

• Paid Members

aside from the money here which is great, i fear that Top Rank's idea of building Fury's profile in the States may backfire. Fury's stock is at all time high now, he was a viral superstar after December yet they've decided to slow build him and give him more US exposure, the problem with that is that Fury's more often than not in pretty dull fights. He'll no doubt outclass Schwarz with no issue, but he'll probably labour to a dull points win, if Fury wants to keep pushing his stock in the America especially, he needs to be going in and blowing guys like Schwarz away. I just dont see that happening. Be interesting to see what kind of ticket sales this thing does too. 

• Paid Members

we spoke about the (now off) Gorman/Maldonado fight in the week thats on BT. The better UK fight card is on Sky Sports this evening:

March-23-edwards.jpg

quality little domestic show there topped with Charlie Edwards first World Title defence.