Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

sorry to drag it back up, but on Eddie Hearns latest IFL interview hes claiming Saunders was offered Andrade for big money with the winner getting the winner of Canelo/Jacobs but turned it down to move to Super Middle which if true doesn't make much sense.

A lot of what fast Ed has been saying of late doesn't make sense though. If he's to be believed there's various fighters out there who are all walking away from big paydays. 

• Paid Members

I have no doubt both sides are at it, but Espinoza came off bad in that twitter exchange. In fairness to Hearn, he's always told them to show the supposed contract. Espinoza claiming it was Wilder's personal email that sent over this supposed 3 page contract etc. Weird.

Rubbish news this week about Fury. Sadly, after a thrilling couple of years that's boomed the sport due to promoters giving the fans big fights, they all seem to want to milk it all now.

Edited by ColinBollocks

10 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Rubbish news this week about Fury. Sadly, after a thrilling couple of years that's boomed the sport due to promoters giving the fans big fights, they all seem to want to milk it all now.

Thing is, if Fury didn't take the deal it wouldn't have made much difference really. Previously he could face Wilder in a rematch, but would get nowhere near AJ. Now he can still face Wilder in a rematch, and won't get near AJ.

• Paid Members

if Fury ends up fighting Wilder and beats him, i think it'll be about Fury/AJ from that point. I know you David keeps saying that Hearn said they'd still go after Wilder but that was before Fury exploded in the States. I 100% believe the goal is to unify the belts for AJ/Hearn. I also have no doubt that Eddie Hearn is telling the truth about the contract thing with Espinoza, if not he's a convincing liar because he seems just as frustrated with it as anyone, watch from 10 mins on...

Edited by Egg Shen

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/boxing/47423622

RIP Eusabio Pedroza. 

The Mcguigan fight has a lot of similarities  to the Hatton Tszyu fight. 

Theres an article in The Mirror from Mcguigan which says it’s the most watched live fight ever in the UK on tv and also the bbc’s first ever live broadcast of boxing. For us oldies who remember it as it happened it was a great spectacle. Here it is in full.

This is also a great watch. Havent seen it in a few years but will watch later. Although Mcguigan isnt everyones cup of tea he was a genuine Superstar back in the day and managed to avoid all the political nonsense going on which was a credit to him.

Edited by Porkchopcash

On 2/28/2019 at 10:27 AM, Egg Shen said:

I know you David keeps saying that Hearn said they'd still go after Wilder but that was before Fury exploded in the States. I 100% believe the goal is to unify the belts for AJ/Hearn.

The goal is to earn both AJ and himself as much money as possible mate. Keeping AJ on top for as long as possible, while balancing that with selling the fights he's in as credible threats to him is the name of the game. It's promotion 101, and something we've seen in boxing for decades now.

Truth is, as long as the fans are happy to pay top dollar for tickets and PPV to see AJ fight guys like Whyte, Miller and Takam then that's what they'll be given. 

On the subject of Wilder, Hearn just recently offered him $15 million to fight against....

Dominic Breazeale or Dillian Whyte. Anyone but Joshua really.

It's all about the money for these guys. All of them. And they'll stay away from each other as long as possible, because why fight a legitimate threat for x-amount, when you can make close to the same for beating on a chump?

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, David said:

On the subject of Wilder, Hearn just recently offered him $15 million to fight against....

Dominic Breazeale or Dillian Whyte. Anyone but Joshua 

yeh, with him also signing a two fight deal with Joshua after that voluntary defence as part of the deal, why did you leave that part out?

Edited by Egg Shen

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh, with him also signing a two fight deal with Joshua after that voluntary defence as part of the deal, why did you leave that part out?

Why not just offer him the fucking AJ fight? It's these dumb little conditions such as "well, if you can beat so & so then you get Joshua" that's causing a lot of the issues.

Either make the fight, or don't. It's becoming embarrassing now.

As much as i think Hearn is a lying salesman, i sorta believe him on the Wilder situation. 

However i saw an interview with Hearn on IFL offering the 15 million dollars and saying, why dont Deonty take that 15million dollars and go and buy a coupla streets in Alabama . It came across as so derogatory, ever Cougan was a bit taken back by it. 

I can see why the yanks dont want to deal with him. Imagine if he just was a bit more humble and likeable how much that would benefit his fighters. The fact is, he is just a bit of a bellend and it rubs other promoters up the wrong way. He can say all the shit he likes but its his fault his fighters are not getting the fights they want. He loves the attention and long term  that is at the expense of his fighters.

Hearn is no better (or worse) than most other boxing promoters. His primary concern is making sure his clients earn themselves, and him, as much dough as possible. Just like every other promoter out there.

What they all have to do though is try to keep the fans sweet by making out as though it's not them, it's other promoters who are depriving them of the big fights. It's all bullshit, with ordinary mugs like us discussing and arguing about it online while those pricks are laughing all the way to the bank.

Fuck 'em.

• Paid Members

Yeah. You're being played if you don't think they're all at it. This is what boxing is. It's all business over bodies. 

If you're Hearn you can understand why you do it. AJ makes silly money against almost anyone it seems. Why risk that when you can play it out?

2 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

If you're Hearn you can understand why you do it. AJ makes silly money against almost anyone it seems. Why risk that when you can play it out?

Exactly, and for all his chat about wanting the big fights and not being fussed about the money we've seen Fury not hesitate to sign his own big deal as well. Can't blame him, you make what you can. Sucks for the fans, but that's how it is. We'll see the big fights if it makes financial sense to those involved.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

Why not just offer him the fucking AJ fight? It's these dumb little conditions such as "well, if you can beat so & so then you get Joshua" that's causing a lot of the issues.

Either make the fight, or don't. It's becoming embarrassing now.

it isn't a dumb little condition, Wilder has to make a defence of his title by May or he'll get stripped of his title. Joshua's already locked in to fight Miller so they are offering Wilder a deal now tie into a Joshua fight later in the year.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

it isn't a dumb little condition, Wilder has to make a defence of his title by May or he'll get stripped of his title. Joshua's already locked in to fight Miller so they are offering Wilder a deal now tie into a Joshua fight later in the year.

Listen Eggy Hearn, they made Wilder the same offer before he fought Fury. Come in, fight Dillian Whyte, then if you beat him you can have a crack at the supreme being. It was shit then, and it's shit now.

Wilder is looking to do what's best for him, which is probably face his mandatory then see if he can push for the Fury rematch later in the year, possibly using the Fury fight as a bargaining chip to drive Hearn's offer up a bit and vice versa. Either way, he'll be looking to make as much dough as he can, like the rest.