Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Buatsi should blow through Conroy but its his first British Title fight so its passable, Buatsti looks way above that level already though.

Ritson isn't fighting Townend, hes fighting some Argentine for the WBA Intercontinetal title, hes moved up i weight too.

13 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

aside from the money here which is great, i fear that Top Rank's idea of building Fury's profile in the States may backfire. Fury's stock is at all time high now, he was a viral superstar after December yet they've decided to slow build him and give him more US exposure, the problem with that is that Fury's more often than not in pretty dull fights. He'll no doubt outclass Schwarz with no issue, but he'll probably labour to a dull points win, if Fury wants to keep pushing his stock in the America especially, he needs to be going in and blowing guys like Schwarz away. I just dont see that happening. Be interesting to see what kind of ticket sales this thing does too. 

Bear in mind that the Wilder fight came very early into Fury's comeback though. Remember how everyone thought he was insane for taking that fight after only two relatively easy comeback fights? Fury himself admitted that the Wilder fight came way earlier than he'd hoped, but that he really had no option but to take it.

I think this is him back on the comeback trail now, and Schwarz is no Wilder or Joshua (but who is, really?) but he's a step up from Piantetta, isn't he?

• Paid Members

not really sure, i dont know alot about Schwarz other than hes never fought outside of Germany and that he had a wild fight with the bloke Derek Chisora is fighting next and won by DQ.

A showcase this fight may be, and Fury has to fight someone but its a showcase on a massive stage, he has to go in and blow the guy out, thats what the American audience and his broadcaster will expect, nothing else will be good enough really.

5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

A showcase this fight may be, and Fury has to fight someone but its a showcase on a massive stage, he has to go in and blow the guy out, thats what the American audience and his broadcaster will expect, nothing else will be good enough really.

Do you think that ESPN made him the offer they did not knowing how he fights? They'll have covered all of the angles before offering him the deal he was offered, so I wouldn't worry about that. They'll have something planned promotion-wise at some point no doubt.

As for Fury? He just has to fight the guys they put in front of him really. If he worries about how the Yanks will take to his style, or tries to blow guys out he could run into trouble. He'll just stick to what he does best I'd imagine.

• Paid Members

Yeh, we'll see how it goes. Considering he's headlining a big American arena against a German though he's gonna need to deliver. The American audiece will quickly lose patience and interest if the heavyweights dont bring the action.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh, we'll see how it goes. Considering he's headlining a big American arena against a German though he's gonna need to deliver. The American audiece will quickly lose patience and interest if the heavyweights dont bring the action.

They may lose interest, they may not. I think you're underestimating the appeal of a big, white heavyweight who claims Irish heritage, Ebb. If he wins a couple of fights, claims America is the best place in the world and smiles at the right time they'll quickly adopt him as "one of their own."

And if it doesn't work out as expected he's still made $100 million, which would have sounded insane if someone had suggested such a thing would have happened nine months after he stepped between the ropes to face Seferi in June last year.

With everything that's gone on, it's easy to forget that he only got his licence to box 14 months ago. Since then he's fought three times, including the Wilder fight.

• Paid Members

It is a shame for the fans the boxing HW economy has grown in such a manner as to pay such massive fees to the big 3 just for turning up. Fair play to the fighters and promoters. They're all getting silly money, but it hasn't half killed things for the fans. We'll just get promised the big fights for ages, but I think Hearn summed up what a contractual headache this all is the other day, pointing out all the different and huge distribution contracts all three are on.

• Paid Members

Look at this for an old school picture. A young Frank Warren with Lenny McLean (who was Fish Eyes’ second cousin) and Paul Sykes. Don’t recognise the two men on the right. This would’ve likely been taken sometime in 1979 as McLean and Sykes were supposed to fight that year but it never ended up happening. 

8549AC22-0F9A-4D84-8D9E-67AB6E766E86.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

anyone catch an IFL interview last week with Eddie Hearn where Kugan grilled Eddie about how much money he had in the bank. That spiralled into a conversation about what happened to Howard from the Halifax adverts, Eddie said if anyone could find Howard he'd get 2 free tickets to the Copperbox, well Saturday...

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Look at this for an old school picture. A young Frank Warren with Lenny McLean (who was Fish Eyes’ second cousin) and Paul Sykes. Don’t recognise the two men on the right. This would’ve likely been taken sometime in 1979 as McLean and Sykes were supposed to fight that year but it never ended up happening. 

8549AC22-0F9A-4D84-8D9E-67AB6E766E86.jpeg

did Warren and Lenny have a falling out? Warren talked about him quite negatively in an interview i saw a while back.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I’ve seen interviews where Warren’s calling Lenny a bully and stuff. To be honest, it’s probably a shorter list of people who haven’t fallen out with Fish Eyes over the years. And probably Lenny too actually.