Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Just now, Egg Shen said:

The latest from Wilder is that he's binned off Fury and he's pursuing the AJ fight again.

Wilder is changing his story constantly. It wasn't long ago, a couple of days in fact, that he claimed he was looking to make his mandatory and wanted Fury in the rematch. He was talking to UK media about how he's not the Gypsy King if he isn't man enough to face him and all that jazz.

In a way, he's been left out in the cold a little now, which is crazy considering where he was a few months ago. Fury now has a financial deal that means he doesn't actually need Wilder or Joshua anymore. He's making good dough regardless of who he fights, just like AJ at the moment.

The whole thing is a joke, with boxing continuing as it always has in recent memory, and that's to be run by liars and bullshit merchants who're just in it to make as much money as they can.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, David said:

Fury now has a financial deal that means he doesn't actually need Wilder or Joshua anymore. He's making good dough regardless of who he fights, just like AJ at the moment.

the disappointing thing about that is that Fury kept saying "its not about the money", then signs a deal thats all about money and basically freezes him out of the world title picture.

I think anything can happen in the heavyweight division, i wouldnt rule out either of them 3 fighting each other at the back end of the year. The next fights they have will be gimmes though i believe. Well Joshuas is, i cant imagine Fury fighting anyone to tricky and i see Wilder being able to get through Brazeale. There were rumours of s Fury/Parker fight which would be interesting.

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

the disappointing thing about that is that Fury kept saying "its not about the money", then signs a deal thats all about money and basically freezes him out of the world title picture.

Saying "it's not about the money" isn't exclusive to Fury though, is it? All of the top fighters in any division say that, with the exception of Mayweather. 

Thing is, if he wanted to fight AJ he'd need to jump through so many hoops to make it happen, not to mention the fact that the last thing Hearn wants to do is put his golden goose in there with someone like Fury. He's so wrong for the majority of the division its unreal. Not only does he beat most of them seven or eight times out of ten, but he makes them look terrible.

So in a way I can understand him thinking "everyone else is getting paid for fighting bums, so fuck it, why not me?"

• Paid Members

that'll probably is the thinking, because its incredibly difficult to get these fights made, i also understand that many more people stand to benefit from Fury signing a deal like the one he has from ESPN so it isn't entirely on the fighters head.

33 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i also understand that many more people stand to benefit from Fury signing a deal like the one he has from ESPN so it isn't entirely on the fighters head.

It's not on his head at all really, he's a prize fighter. It's what they do. I have no issue with Joshua doing the same, or even with Eggy Hearn keeping him away from the danger fights until they've wrung as much Sky PPV money out of the plebs as they can, what I take issue with is him constantly banging on about how he's the one guy trying to make the fights that the fans want to see, while everyone else is the villain in the piece.

He's no better than Warren or any of the other promoters out there.

• Paid Members

maybe that is the case, but going from what i read and hear they really are trying to make them happen, you can disagree with that all day, neither of us really know whats going on behind closed doors. I do tend to lean toward the side of Hearn on the heavyweights though. Maybe im just a complete sucker though and ive bought into his sales pitch. As much as i want to see them all fight though, the back and forths over youtube and social media are quite fun to follow, its certainly not dull at the moment.

• Paid Members

#teamhearn

on the opposite side of things, ol' Fish Eyes Warren has this decent little show going on Friday night.

Championship-Boxing-at-the-Royal-Albert-

Went to the Albert Hall recently and can imagine its an amazing place to watch boxing.

Decent card though. Anthony Yarde has bad had one of the most frustratingly slow builds of any fighter i can recall in the last few years, if he wins here they are supposedly gonna push for the Kovalev fight.

Dubois has a decent test. Its gonna be about bettering how Nathan Gorman beat Cojanu here. I aint sold on Dubois just yet.

Solid little friday night this.

• Paid Members

i dont think so, i know Fury promised Shannon Briggs a spot on his undercard, theres no way they'll end up fighting.

I dont think Warren is actually involved with Boxnation as much these days, his shows are exclusive to BT. Boxnation just broadcasts the overseas shows and the odd small UK show maybe. You still get Boxnation as part of BT's sports package though so it isnt so bad.