Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yikes!

Saturdays WBSS card from Glasgow will be streamed live on Facebook and Youtube, Kalle said they had TV offers but have chosen to stream it. Im happy with that, at least ITV Box Office is off the table.

Dq2rijXWoAA-4Ot.jpg

• Paid Members

Why have I got a bad feeling this one will be the shitfest we expected the first fight to be? I hope not but they’ve both been almost too enjoyable to watch recently. Whyte with the Browne KO and Parker fight and Chisora with the comeback KO in a FOTY contender vs Takam. Chisora has never been particularly consistent and I just can’t help feeling we’re about due another dud from him. 

Can't see past two wins for the UK fighters tonight.

If I was a betting man, I would probably put Burnett down to stop Donaire tonight. Burnett's not a big puncher but Donaire is 35 now and he's dropping down two weight divisions to be in the tournament. If Burnett starts to break down the body, Donaire will run out of gas.

Never heard of Ryan Martin but I don't think he will be too much trouble for Josh Taylor.

• Paid Members

yeh and an odd stoppage but the complete lack of complain from Martin probably tells you that he was looking for a way out, Taylor just schooled him. A Taylor/Prograis final will be pretty special.

The Burnett injury was strange, not sure if it was his hip or his back but seeing him stretchered out with oxygen was pretty scary, hopefully not as serious as it appeared. As for the fight, i thought Donaire was looking sharp and i think took Burnett by surprise, i had him 3-1 up at the time of the stoppage.

And that's why I don't bet! Really unlucky for Burnett. He was looking class with his footwork and movement around the ring. In such instances do you think it's fair the champion should lose their title if the injuries corroborated by a doctor?

Josh Taylor looked great, Ryan Martin, poor sod never got going. Stoppage was too soon and Martin was clearly coherent but probably didn't want anymore but that's not the referee's job to decide. Also a definite conflict of interests to have a Scottish fighter in a Scottish City with a Scottish referee.

Miguel Berchelt v Mickey Roman was a big old Mexican war. Definitely one to catch. Roman's 73rd fight and his 3rd attempt at a world title. Berchelt, the young gun who's knocking everyone out in his path. Tactics went out the window and both swung for the fences. Roman would never give in, he must have been punch drunk 10 times but kept coming forward.

I was at the SSE Hydro through my work last night. Thought Burnett looked like he was struggling in the first and second round with body shots causing plenty of damage. That said, I probably had him take the third round. However, as soon as he went down you knew it was all over. He struggled in the corner and Donnaire did what was needed. A shame for Burnett. I had a suspicion that Donnaire would win (didn't think it would be in that fashion). Donnaire was lovely afterwards and said all the right things and wished Burnett well. 

As for Taylor, it was one-sided but a strange stoppage. It also looked a wee bit like a behind the head shot from where I was sitting. Martin was coherent but it was so one-way that it looked like being a matter of time. I think Taylor was probably a little surprised at how straight-forward it was as well. It sounds like the plan is for the semi-final to be back in Glasgow as well so I'll be heading back again.