Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

What kind of dough is Bellew getting for this, anyone know? It must be a big payday but considering Usyk isn’t exactly a superstar, or even really well known outside the Boxing bubble, it probably doesn’t do huge numbers on PPV surely. It’s not like there’s a grudge and the undercard isn’t stacked either. 

Before Bellew forced the issue Hearn had made it clear he didn't want him taking the Usyk fight, because it's the most dangerous of all the options and according to Eddie wasn't worth the risk "for a third of what he earned against Haye."

• Paid Members

Yeah that’s what I thought. I guess Bellew set himself up financially with the Haye fights, he’s made his money and now he’s going for the legacy fight on the way out. A way tougher fight for less money but if he wins it’ll be a hell of a way to go out. If he loses, it’s what people expected anyway and either way he goes out fighting the toughest opponent available to him. 

He’ll still be around working for Sky as well after he retires. I know that won’t be anywhere near what he could make fighting but it’s still a steady income topping up his bank balance. Doesn’t sound like he does much outside Boxing either so unless his wife is a crazy spender he should be sorted for life money-wise. It’s all about legacy this fight. You don’t fight someone like Usyk for a payday. There’s easier ways to make some coin. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

He’ll still be around working for Sky as well after he retires. I know that won’t be anywhere near what he could make fighting but it’s still a steady income topping up his bank balance. Doesn’t sound like he does much outside Boxing either so unless his wife is a crazy spender he should be sorted for life money-wise. It’s all about legacy this fight. You don’t fight someone like Usyk for a payday. There’s easier ways to make some coin. 

Hearn has said previously that Bellew has made enough money to keep a few generations of Bellews comfortable. Say anything you like about Hearn but i genuinely think he takes great pride in helping fighters make as much money as they can.

• Paid Members

Yeah Dave Allen’s a good example of that. He’s not set for life or anything but I think he’s said himself recently that he’s playing with ‘house money’ now. That’s life changing dough for an everyday average guy like the White Rhino and it’s great to see it happening for such a nice bloke. 

• Paid Members

If there’s a more likeable boxer at the moment than Dave Allen then I’m yet to see them. Just watched 40 minutes of him talking to Kugan and you can’t help but want to see him do good. 

”I thought I was a millionaire when I got £9,000 for the Ortiz fight. I was eating three steak bakes at a time.”

• Paid Members

Tonight’s the night then. 

What are you expecting from Usyk vs Bellew? How’s it play out? Like I said, I can’t see past Usyk winning. Just depends how he does it. I know Usyk hasn’t been a massive power hitter in the past but I’ve got a feeling he stops Bellew tonight. If not I see a pretty lopsided decision. But I think Bellew is going to go balls out tonight. He has to really. He’s not going to win a pretty boxing match against Usyk so he’s got to make it a dogfight. There’s always a chance that pays off but I think it’ll mean he leaves himself open and Usyk will be too good to not capitalise on something over 12. 

Nearly everyone I know is convinced Bellew is going to pull it off but I don’t see it. I don’t know if it’s Bellew’s self belief and his talk convincing them, or they’re just going heart over head with what they want to happen, or they just don’t know who and how fucking good Usyk is. Probably a combo of the lot. But I really think this is going to be Usyk’s big coming out party. If people don’t know him now, I think they will do tomorrow. 

nV7PKs.jpg

He’s got a weird charisma as well. A likeable nutcase. I can see him catching on pretty big when the wider audience see more and get familiar with him. 

I’m saying Usyk by TKO around the 9th or 10th. Ref, corner or even doctor stoppage. Don’t see a clean knockout but I reckon Usyk will take over and overwhelm him down the stretch and Bellew will be hyping him post-fight as a beast. 

Hopefully Stone Cold Dave Allen opens up a can of whoop ass on the undercard as well. 

Eddie Hearn's sales pitch on IFL a few days ago almost convinced me that Bellew has a chance. But I still can't see it. 

I think Bellew is a bit better than some give him credit for. Yes, Haye was a shell of his former self when Bellew fought him the second time. But his win over Makabu was very impressive. Crusierweight is clearly Bellew's best weightclass as well. He's much better at cruiser than he was at light-heavy. 

But Usyk is a scary man. "A likeable nutcase" sounds about right. Gassiev could get very little going against him and some think he's going to be a force at heavyweight when he eventually moves up. 

I think Bellew will have the odd moment. But ultimately, Usyk will stop him late or win a wide-points decision. 

Edited by jimufctna24