Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Adam Smith was on fine form last night. 

Why did he feel the need to tell us that Bellew's "Bomber" moniker is not a reference to the 2017 Manchester Arena bombing? Nobody in their right mind would have drawn that comparison until Smith mentioned it himself. 

Edited by jimufctna24

5 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

It surprises me that someone as astute as you David felt the need to articulate this. Everyone who posts in here knows how the boxing game is played. 

Then why am I seeing people comment on how remarkable it was that casual fans who post on social media thought he would win? it's not remarkable at all, it's good promotion.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Adam Smith was on fine form last night. 

Why did he feel the need to tell us that Bellew's "Bomber" moniker is not a reference to the 2017 Manchester Arena bombing? Nobody in their right mind would have drawn that comparison until Smith mentioned it himself. 

That was pure Partridge. I like Adam Smith more that a lot of people, but fucking hell. 

• Paid Members

Even though the Sky broadcast team were very biased and got abit carried away (with Paulie being the voice of reason) the official scorecards had Bellew 5-2 up at the time of the stoppage, i had it 4-3 Usyk. If Bellew hadnt have been stopped that fight was gonna be close on the cards even if Usyk won the last 4 rounds.

• Paid Members

Amir Khan, with a curly moustache, telling Barry Hearn ‘lets get the Brook fight on’;

It’s the most positive I’ve ever seen Khan on the Brook fight but I’m still not believing him. ‘Let’s make the fight’...after Brook cuts his arms, legs and bollocks off to meet my weird demands. 

Had to chuckle at this bit of wishful thinking from Khan as well; 

Let’s just hope Kell wins his fight on December 8th. God forbid he gets a cut, he gets injured or he gets beat and the fight’s off.”

Edited by wandshogun09

5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Even though the Sky broadcast team were very biased and got abit carried away (with Paulie being the voice of reason) the official scorecards had Bellew 5-2 up at the time of the stoppage, i had it 4-3 Usyk. If Bellew hadnt have been stopped that fight was gonna be close on the cards even if Usyk won the last 4 rounds.

That was one scorecard, I think it was the Mexican's. The other card was level and the other had Bellew ahead by a point. If he finished that round, Usyk would have been up on 2 of the cards. That's all a formality now though. Bellew got walloped, hopefully he's alright and has stopped kissing everyone on the forehead. Good luck to the guy, he's pretty good on post fight analysis for Sky.

Carl Froch is hopeless on commentary. I can't see how someone who's been in lots of big fights, can't read a fight and see what's happening in front of his eyes. It's as if Bellew was winning everything and then all of a sudden, he was gassed, wasn't throwing anything and was in serious danger. Also the DAZN stream had bloody Nick Halling as the announcer. You can't get away from them.

It was refreshing to hear Matt Macklin give a direct assessment of Scott Cardle's ability. "He's a couple of levels below domestic level." He got wiped out by Ricky Burns in 3 rounds. One eye had a bad cut, the other was swollen. Big right hand and Cardle froze, bounced back and then flatlined on the canvas. Ricky's still got a few miles to go on the clock and this was an easy tuneup for him.

• Paid Members

Khan was heavily booed when shown on the big screen too 😄

any thoughts on the undercard?

Crolla/Yordan was a bit of a mood killer, which was weird as it was in Crollas backyard, but it was just 12 rounds of sameness, no sways in the action, no one hurt and a dead crowd, they really are the worst type of fights despite there technically being nothing wrong with it, completely forgettable. Undercards on these main cards can be a slog sometimes because its all about the main event sometimes.

Ricky Burns destroyed Scott Cardle. Ive been watching Burns fight top guys for so long that its easy to forget that hes a levels above domestic. Scott Cardle had promise early in his career but its likely time to hang them up, hes been killed anytime hes tried to step up. Worrying to hear the sky team saying Cardle sounded punchy before the fight too.

The Dave Allen-train rolls on but fuck me he made hard work of it. It was entertaining in a fucked up kind of way but Allens post-fight interview just re-affirmed why hes so loved, hes the most honest man in the game. That Argentinian was tough as shit though, i hope Eddie brings him back.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I love Allen but it’s worrying listening to him. He was telling Kugan that he was up for taking some digs in the head to let the guy punch himself out as if it was a smart tactic. And as much as I like him, he needs to start taking his career seriously if he’s ever going to become anything more than Nice Dave the undercard novelty act. He was saying again post-fight that he underestimated this guy and didn’t train properly but that next time he’ll graft his bollocks off in camp and that it’s time to get serious. We seem to hear that after every fight though. I’d love to see him make the most of whatever it is his potential is but I fear he’s just going to keep plodding along the road to scrambled brain cells and being skint that so many boxers do. 

I read somewhere, forget where, that Allen might be better off doing what Brendan Schaub did and look into other avenues within the sport that he can get into. Podcasting or whatever. I think he could be great at that if there’s any chance for it because let’s face it, it’s his personality everyone really loves anyway. I always root for him in his fights but I honestly get way more enjoyment out of his interviews with IFL, Behind The Gloves etc than I do his fights. For the money he’s making fighting on undercards, I’m sure he could make similar or better if he could make a podcast take off. I mean, are there many big popular boxing podcasts out there? I’m sure there are some but it doesn’t seem like it’s as prevalent in boxing as it is in MMA or pro wrestling. Maybe there’s a gap in the market that someone like Allen could exploit. Get guests on, crack open the Irn Bru and chat shit. I’d listen. I’d rather that than watch him half arsedly win a few fights before inevitably getting stepped up and battered every 3 or 4 fights until he’s cabbaged. 

• Paid Members

My mate said hes the real life equivalent of Homer Simpsons boxing career.

Your right though wand. he does keep saying the same stuff about taking it seriously. His last two wins probably did more harm than good because he won without breaking a sweat, he clearly thought this would be the same but he paid a heavy price for that way of thinking though.

Id love to see him get into a proper camp and dedicate himself to the sport and give it a real go next year. He said himself hes been given some god given gifts and to not capitalise on it is a bit of a travesty.

• Paid Members

Conor Benn tweeted this picture of him and his old man. And fuck me Conor has barely changed. 

F1A36EC6-2941-4C84-A346-4ABD342A08FD.jpeg

Actually, what’s going on with Conor? He beat Peynaud in the rematch in July and I’ve heard nothing since. Any rumours what’s next? 

Edited by wandshogun09