Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

AJ's gonna go after whoever has that WBC belt.

Eddie Hearn mentioned in an interview that theres a rumor that theres a 2 way rematch claus on the Wilder/Fury fight so even if Wilder wins, him and Fury will have to fight again straight away regardless. Eddie thinksĀ thats utter madness. Apparently Fury's coach let slip about it but theres some kind of confidentiallity agreement on the contract so one can find out for sure.

• Paid Members

Fury v Wilder is a big fight David, but the name of the game at the top level is to make money. Fury and Wilder won't make between them what Joshua made for the Povetkin fight. They probably wont make what Povetkin was paid. I think i read that Wilder's biggest payday so far was $1.5 million. The way to make the biggest money for either Fury or Wilder is for them is to fight Joshua. Money will win out in the end.Ā 

13 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Fury v Wilder is a big fight David, but the name of the game at the top level is to make money. Fury and Wilder won't make between them what Joshua made for the Povetkin fight. They probably wont make what Povetkin was paid. I think i read that Wilder's biggest payday so far was $1.5 million. The way to make the biggest money for either Fury or Wilder is for them is to fight Joshua. Money will win out in the end.Ā 

Yeah, I'm talking about from the perspective of a fan though. As a fan I don't really care how much money Joshua makes. He could fight complete cans for the next three years and still sell out arenas, couldn't he?

I'm talking about belts. And big fights. That's what interests me, and from the perspective of the titles and the big fights he's on the outside looking in, which is insane considering where things looked to be going a year ago or so.

Who would have seriously believed we'd be heading to the end of 2018 with Fury facing Wilder in the US to determine the lineal and WBC champion, while AJ is looking as though another fight with Dillian Whyte could be in the offing? Does anyone actually believe that fight would be a real test for him? He'd smash Whyte inside six.

• Paid Members

I still feel AJ is the main man at heavyweight. He holds 3 of the major belts has by far the best resume, he's selling out stadiums and is banking way more money than Fury or Wilder.

If you follow the story from the side of Frank Warren you'd think Fury/Wilder is the biggest fight in the sport but that's bollocks really, Fury/Wilder when you break it down is no bigger than AJ/Povetkin in terms of relevance. Fury may be the "lineal" Champion, but that doesn't mean squat, he won the belts 3 years ago, never defended them and has beaten 2 scrubs since. The only reason anyone would believe its the biggest heavyweight fight in the sport is because the people promoting it are telling you that.

The biggest fight to be made as we stand is AJ/Wilder, fact.

Edited by Egg Shen

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

I still feel AJ is the main man at heavyweight. He holds 3 of the major belts has by far the best resume, he's selling out stadiums and is banking way more money than Fury or Wilder.

You may think he's the main man, but he's not the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, is he? Until then, he's one of two champions, alongside a lineal champion who's never lost.

Three undefeated fighters with claims to the throne. Who'd have seen this coming a few years back? It's great.

Again, this isn't pro wrestling, you're not ranked in order of how many seats you fill or PPV's you sell. Does that shit matter? Of course it does, to those who have an active stake in it. Promoters, fighters, TV companies all stand to earn coin from it. Fans don't, so I don't see why that should come into play for us.

For fans it's about who has titles and who's fighting who.Ā 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

If you follow the story from the side of Frank Warren you'd think Fury/Wilder is the biggest fight in the sport but that's bollocks really, Fury/Wilder when you break it down is no bigger than AJ/Povetkin in terms of relevance.

Now you're just being silly. AJ/Povetkin was one of the champions facing a guy ranked number 3 or 4 at best, and who was fighting David Price last time out.

Fury vs Wilder is two undefeated champions, one of them the lineal title holder who beat "the man" on his own patch and never lost the titles in the ring, against a dude with the WBC belt, 40 wins and 39 knock outs to his name.

That right there is the biggest fight in heavyweight boxing, possibly boxing in general.

It will be surpassed however when the winner goes on to fight AJ, and not because he has Sky and the media to help him sell a shitload of tickets, or because he's on Sky Box Office, but because that fight would be the lineal champion, and undefeated WBC title holder facing the undefeated guy who holds the other titles.

The winner of that fight would be "the man."

I just hope that if Fury wins against Wilder the fight gets made. If we see Wilder lose, then go on to face AJ anyway then the whole thing is fucked, basically.

• Paid Members

It isnt silly Dave. Tyson Fury waved any right to claim to be an undefeated heavyweight champion when he piled on 6 stone, got depressed and fucked off. On paper he's undefeated and he legitimately won his world titles, but you cant win the belts, never defend them come back after 3 years and still claim to be the champion, its nonsence. If Fury had defeated Klitschko and this fight was happeningĀ 6 months after the fact you'd have a point. Fury isnt the man anymore thoughĀ until he proves otherwise.

Anthony Joshua on the other hand won his world titles in 3 seperate fights, hes unified belts, defeated mandatory challengers and has stopped all but one opponent.Ā The biggest fight in boxing is AJ/Wilder, there is absolutely no disputing it.

5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Tyson Fury waved any right to claim to be an undefeated heavyweight champion when he piled on 6 stone, got depressed and fucked off.

You make it sound as though it's something he made an active decision to do, Ebb.Ā 

"Well, that's me won the undisputed heavyweight title. What can I do now? Fight some more and make a ton of dough? Nah, fuck it, I'm gonna get depressed, get fat and fuck off."

The guy suffers from a mental fucking illness, it's not like he threw a strop. He was ill. He still is ill. The second he stepped back into the boxing ring in the shape he was in was a more incredible accomplishment than anything else he'd done up to that point.

10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

On paper he's undefeated and he legitimately won his world titles, but you cant win the belts, never defend them come back after 3 years and still claim to be the champion, its nonsence.

"On paper" he's undefeated? He's undefeated in every other way as well, is he not? As in, he's never been beaten in a boxing ring.

He's the lineal heavyweight champion of the world. In the sport of boxing, that means something.Ā 

And what do you expect him to do? Not claim to be the champion? I thought this was all about money? Selling tickets? Putting cash in the bank? If that's true, then he's surely got to sell himself with what he has? Undefeated, lineal champion? Am I right?

13 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

If Fury had defeated Klitschko and this fight was happeningĀ 6 months after the fact you'd have a point. Fury isnt the man anymore thoughĀ until he proves otherwise.

I never said Fury was "the man," did I? I said that AJ wasn't "the man."

There is no "man," there's two undefeated fighters who hold different versions of the heavyweight title, and another undefeated fighter who is the lineal champion and was the man who beat the last "undisputed" champion.

"The man" will be decided when the winner of Fury/Wilder faces Joshua.Ā 

15 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Anthony Joshua on the other hand won his world titles in 3 seperate fights, hes unified belts, defeated mandatory challengers and has stopped all but one opponent.Ā The biggest fight in boxing is AJ/Wilder, there is absolutely no disputing it.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. The biggest fight in boxing right now isn't AJ/Wilder because that fight isn't happening, is it? It's not booked to happen. God knows it may never fucking happen!

The biggest fight in heavyweight boxing right now is Fury/Wilder. It's booked, it's happening, there's a date and a venue. That's the biggest fight in heavyweight boxing. It takes two of three undefeated fighters I mentioned and knocks one of them out of the equation. That's the biggest fight right now.

If AJ faces the winner of that fight, then that will be the biggest fight in boxing.

• Paid Members

Well of course thats the biggest fight happening now. It still isnt as big as what an AJ/Wilder fight would have been if that was happening next though. Wilder and AJ hold all the belts between them, the fact that Fury held a few of them previously is a nice sidebar but thats about it.

And im not having a dig at Fury for suffering from mental illness, im just saying the guys accomplishment from 3 years agoĀ is kind of irrelevant in the current climate, like i said, he may have beaten "the man" but he didnt follow up on it, the lineal thing is bollocks. Its not like he had a contract dispute and was forced out of the game, he was ill and he lost his way. Saying that, it is a hell of a story.

And im not having a dig at Fury for suffering from mental illness, im just saying the guys accomplishment from 3 years agoĀ is kind of irrelevant in the current climate

So why even mention it then? Ā Mind you, aren't you the guy who called Joshua's detractors on his sexism regarding his niece "Feminist snowflakes" or some other bullshit?

44 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Tyson Fury waved any right to claim to be an undefeated heavyweight champion when he piled on 6 stone, got depressed and fucked off.

Ā 

Dave brought the mental illness thing up, not me.

Ā 

Was it mentioned before here? Must have skim read it.

• Paid Members

In fairness, as coldly worded as Egg's point is, it is a big reason he decided to sack boxing for 3 years. It's not like we'reĀ discussing the number 7 bus in here. He did/does suffer from terrible depression and as a result fucked boxing off.

Anyway, this is why we have these fights, to see who the man truly is. I do agree with Ebb that there are too many questions Fury needs to answer before he can attain his status as the man. I mean even this Wilder fight, people are rightly questioning if this is too early in his comeback to be slugging it out with a champion like Wilder.

No doubt the Fury that became world champion is tremendous and is maybe better than AJ/Wilder, but that was three years ago.

Edited by ColinBollocks