Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yep, Williams is a bit of a machine. If you like guys who continuously come forward you'll enjoy watching him fight, very fan friendly style and he can punch too.

I was surprised at the even odds because i expected Williams to be a underdog mainly down to experience and i was gonna drop a few bucks on him.

Excellent fight.

Think these are the only two times as far as i know. I remember Paul Smith as a pundit absoloutly slating Rocky Feilding once when he didnt make weight, then he come in a ridicolous amount over for the Ward fight. He was due to be fined a huge amount of money for it, but Ward being the class act he is told the sanctioning bodies not to fine him and let him keep the money, which they did. 

Williams looks bigger than Smith as well.  Looking forward to this one.

A good scrap between the Liams lastnight. Although all the judges had Williams 1 up, i thought he was alot more ahead when he got pulled out, although Smith was getting back into it. A rematch would be good. Was Williams cut caused by a butt or a punch? It wasnt totally clear frm what i saw.

• Paid Members

I couldn't tell either. From some angles it looked like he was cut from a punch and then other angles it looked like the head did the damage. Shame it ended like that because it was a good fight that was really heating up nicely. I'd love to see a rematch. I think Williams deserves it, I had him ahead by a few rounds as well. 

That heavyweight fight was a bit of a farce. Daniel Dubois (is that the right spelling?) looks to have bags of potential, he's got the physical gifts, he's only 19 and there was all the talk of him doing "EXCEPTIONALLY WELL", to quote Bunce, in sparring against Joshua. It was his pro debut so to be fair he was always going to get matched up with a bum but seriously that fat bloke. Just the visual of this big chiseled black bloke vs some little fat bloke, it looked comical. Surely they could've found a jobber who at least looked like he could fight. 

• Paid Members

I didnt get Bunce's comments, i sat there for a few mins trying to figure out if there was a pun or a joke in there. Shed any light wand?

The actual fight was a joke though, no fault of Dubois but it was always baffles me to the states of some of these journeyman boxers, what a strange way to earn a few quid.

Liam's fight was predictabally good, foul filled though, both men could be accused to laying some shit in. I had Williams ahead by a couple at the end but i did seem like Smith was getting to him...an unfortunate ending but it has to lead to a rematch. I have the feeling Smith wants to move on but considering he was behind i think he owes it to Williams.

• Paid Members

I watched it pissed in the pub, i cant remember specifics but i just recall Burns have pretty much zero success. Indongo had Burns' number from the bell and Ricky simply didn't have the plan b. or punching power to change anything. I read a few things going in that it was a real tough night for Burns and wish i'd gone with Indongo on my betslip as he was the underdog.

• Paid Members
On 13 April 2017 at 1:07 AM, Egg Shen said:

I didnt get Bunce's comments, i sat there for a few mins trying to figure out if there was a pun or a joke in there. Shed any light wand?

I don't think there was a pun or anything in there, Egg. I just took it as the talk being that Dubois handled himself very well sparring Joshua. It's all pinch of salt stuff but I don't think there's anything more to read into it than that. 

Edit - 

Joshua vs Klitschko 'Gloves Are Off';

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I don't know how anyone gave Burns 4 rounds. That was a pretty one sided drubbing. Hearn said on IFL that they have a rematch clause, or a promotional option on Indigo's next fight. I can't see a rematch been met with any enthusiasm. 

It was an enjoyable card overall on Saturday. Scotty Cardle v Robbie Barrett was a cracking little fight. 

Burns always struggles against anyone who doesn't just walk forward onto him. Indongo was impressive because of his height & reach at that weight. If he can stay at 140lbs and maintain his power, he and Terrence Crawford should have a good fight. Burns is lucky that the light welterweight division is in a terrible state. That's basically the reason he became a champion at 140lbs. Burns should probably try and set up domestic fights with Crolla or Flanagan next and then call it a day. There can't be many more miles he can get out of that chin.

Glad to see Scott Cardle lose. He's been clinging onto that British title for nearly 2 years. He clearly isn't good enough to step up and has had some dodgy decisions go his way against Sean Dodd.

I was at the Burns fight. Dissapointing, Burns had been finished for a while and I was hoping he could turn back the clock. I'm surprised Indongo was the underdog, although he was the best shot Burns would ever get of unifying. I think he will get used as a gatekeeper by Matchroom from now on. The atmosphere was fantastic but I was pretty disappointed when a fight broke out just in front of me in the crowd. I almost took my mother to the fight but am glad I never after that. The couple next to me left the arena shortly after, before the end of he main event.

I dont know why Murray has a rep as an exciting brawler, as other than the Groves fight, as soon as he meets anyone decent he just covers up and walks forward and loses. I really like him as a person, despite his background he seems a really humble decent person, hopefully tonight will be that career defing brawl people crave for him.

Berto v Porto is a US domestic fight really, you would have to fancy Porter really but both are just below Thurman, Brook, Pacman....

Found a load of my dads old boxing magazines, he sold most which were dating back to the early 50's (we got central heating from it as a kid). But flicking through some of the 90's ones were interesting. The build up to the Tyson Holyfield fight was great. Boxing monthly genunially feared for Evanders well being. He had a few shite performances in the build up and was a genuine 25-1, then i think 16 or so to 1 underdog. Just watched it on yt on its great. Probably the first time i watched it in whole since. Interestingly enough, Tyson was the favourite going into the second fight as well.

lewis, Tyson, Bowe, Holyfield, Moorer, Foreman, Golota, Ruddock and even big Frank, Hasbeen Rahman, Mccall...... Thats a stacked division. 

In the build up Tyson said he was gonna take his time and enjoy himself destroying Holyfield. 

Holyfields people also said in 92 or so they didnt want to defend the title , as they were champ at the time against a rapist. 

Tyson was champ heading in. 5'11 against Holyfield 6'2. Both between 15/16 stone. 

Its hard comparing different era's. But i think Tyson would struggle in the moden era against giants but Holyfield wouldnt. Who knows....

some Tyson fanboy commentating as well.... horrible commentator.

Edited by Porkchopcash