Mental health

11 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

I’ve had money on Ralphy since you first started posting. 

I've seen this theory bounded about a few times but I don't understand what they've said or done to make people think it's him.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Hi. I've been trying to help a good friend with his alcoholism for a while now. It's way out of control and is affecting his health. He lives with his mum and she exhibits mental health issues of her own. Which have been exacerbated recently by an adjustment to her medication.

Two problems currently. Her mental health is suffering and deteriorating. He doesn't seem to be acknowledging that contact needs to be made with her GP for an urgent review of the situation.

Are there any other options he should be exploring? Are there particular mental health organisations that may be able to help?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by BigJag

3 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Hi. I've been trying to help a good friend with his alcoholism for a while now. It's way out of control and is affecting his health. He lives with his mum and she exhibits mental health issues of her own. Which have been exacerbated recently by an adjustment to her medication.

Two problems currently. Her mental health is suffering and deteriorating. He doesn't seem to be acknowledging that contact needs to be made with her GP for an urgent review of the situation.

Are there any other options he should be exploring? Are there particular mental health organisations that may be able to help?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Recovering alcoholic here. Sadly for everyone else who is being affected, you can’t really do anything if he doesn’t want the help or even acknowledges the problem. The old cliche about hitting rock bottom before you can rise is true. All you can really do is try and explain (constantly if necessary) the damage he is doing. It won’t be nice and could damage your friendship (hopefully temporarily) but until he admits the problem and critically, wants help with the problem, you can’t help him. 

For what it’s worth, you wanting to help shows you’re a good friend. And I’m sure in time he will see that. 

Honestly? My mental health is an absolute casserole of nonsense. A while ago I reported someone for posting illegal content on a forum dedicated to fan art to the IWF and said forum mods, but somehow the anxiety daemons are 100% convinced I'm still somehow in trouble, I struggle to leave my home some days which, when I *do* go outside, I worry about money, I worry about my family, I struggle to sleep, I worry I'm not doing enough with my life, I worry about letting friends and family down in social situations, I worry about saying no to people, but some days you wouldn't think there was a thing in the world wrong with me. I like those days.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Recovering alcoholic here. Sadly for everyone else who is being affected, you can’t really do anything if he doesn’t want the help or even acknowledges the problem. The old cliche about hitting rock bottom before you can rise is true. All you can really do is try and explain (constantly if necessary) the damage he is doing. It won’t be nice and could damage your friendship (hopefully temporarily) but until he admits the problem and critically, wants help with the problem, you can’t help him. 

For what it’s worth, you wanting to help shows you’re a good friend. And I’m sure in time he will see that. 

Yep. Extremely frustrating when he refuses to do the simple things. Despite acknowledging that he needs help.

The current situation with his mum requires medical intervention. Sadly both individuals are making that difficult.

You can lead a horse to water. You can't make them drink.

21 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

I’ve had money on Ralphy since you first started posting. 

Nah, Ralphy has a very obvious posting style, fairly sure he would have just been Ralphy V3.8 or so as well. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

Honestly? My mental health is an absolute casserole of nonsense. A while ago I reported someone for posting illegal content on a forum dedicated to fan art to the IWF and said forum mods, but somehow the anxiety daemons are 100% convinced I'm still somehow in trouble, I struggle to leave my home some days which, when I *do* go outside, I worry about money, I worry about my family, I struggle to sleep, I worry I'm not doing enough with my life, I worry about letting friends and family down in social situations, I worry about saying no to people, but some days you wouldn't think there was a thing in the world wrong with me. I like those days.

I 100% suggest contacting your GP, or other avenues in the interim. Anxiety is a bastard but even a few coping mechanisms or, if necessary, medication can be a massive help. Definitely reach out, it'll 100% not make anything worse as a minimum, and likely make things better long term. Good luck man, wishing you the best!

Just now, mim731 said:

I 100% suggest contacting your GP, or other avenues in the interim. Anxiety is a bastard but even a few coping mechanisms or, if necessary, medication can be a massive help. Definitely reach out, it'll 100% not make anything worse as a minimum, and likely make things better long term. Good luck man, wishing you the best!

Cheers. I'm already under the care of the CPN and my GP (for all that's worth, he's a cunt) and taking meds. It's becoming more and more a case of KBO, I'm afraid.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

Cheers. I'm already under the care of the CPN and my GP (for all that's worth, he's a cunt) and taking meds. It's becoming more and more a case of KBO, I'm afraid.

I don't know what KBO is but I wish you well. Hang it in there, things do get better I promise (and then maybe worse and better and worse and better etc but such is the human experience). Take care sir!

Edited by mim731