• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I don't know this Flips?

In Theme Hospital and it’s spiritual successor Two Point Hospital, the hospitals you run all have goofy sound names or anatomy/illness named puns like Frimpton-on-Sea, Largechester, Simpleton or Flottering, Tumble and Flemington.

South Ribble just sounds like it would fit in with them and I’d be running a hospital there listening to radio ads for the fake snack Cheesy Gubbins.

1 minute ago, FLips said:

In Theme Hospital and it’s spiritual successor Two Point Hospital, the hospitals you run all have goofy sound names or anatomy/illness named puns like Frimpton-on-Sea, Largechester, Simpleton or Flottering, Tumble and Flemington.

The MP is of course Sir Nigel Bicklesworth. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, FLips said:

These just sound like genuine place names in Buckinghamshire to me.

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

To me as well. Just normal place names. I live within driving distance of Mavis Enderby, Thompson's Bottom and Holton Cum Beckering so South Ribble sounds perfectly normal. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Buckinghamshire's a bit less small villagey and more outright posho, though - see: Chalfont St. Giles, Chalfont St. Peter, Latimer, etc.

• Paid Members

Yeah in fairness I live close by such normal sounding places as Dragonville (no dragons there), Sexhow and Thornton-le-Beans so maybe the hospital names are fine.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

To me as well. Just normal place names. I live within driving distance of Mavis Enderby, Thompson's Bottom and Holton Cum Beckering so South Ribble sounds perfectly normal. 

If you zoom into the map of England you're guaranteed to find stupid as fuck names instantly. I just zoomed in around Worcester and found:

Upton Snodbury

Throckmorton

Sheriffs Lench

Peopleton

Littleworth

They all sound made up by an American sitcom to take the piss

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

It’s starting to look like the Outstanding Names thread now. I’m sure some of these were off-season signings.

• Paid Members

There's also the infamous Pratt's Bottom, which includes a division into Lower Pratt's Bottom and Upper Pratt's Bottom.

Plus we have Westward Ho! in which the exclamation mark is part of the official spelling.

We have so many funny names places where I live -, Lickey Hills, Twatling Road, Bumblehole Lane (locally referred to as Bumhole Lane) the list goes on. I can't wait till the kids can read. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

We had 'Butt Hole Road' where I live but the fun police got involved and now it's called Archers Way. 

Edited by Nick James

46 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Iain Dale giving up his bid to be MP of Tunbridge Wells because of an old video where he said how much he couldn't stand Tunbridge Wells is very funny.

I’m in TK Maxx and read your post. I’ve been laughing out loud for a good minute at least!