I agree with Chest, I'm a fairly engaged voter and I've been turned off voting this year (though I will still do it). When I talk to friends, many are feeling similarly disaffected and most are more politically tuned in than me

• Paid Members

I'm sure there's some hope among the Tories that all the students who want to vote will be in the wrong place - they won't have had the foresight to change their constituency etc. etc.

I need to get onto my local Green Party candidate to see his views on issues I care about - the Green Party is a bit hit and miss on trans issues, for example. 

• Paid Members

How do you define normal turnout now. General and local elections are normally in May. The last General Election was in December. The Brexit Referendum was at the end of June, this one is at the beginning of July. In this bubble on here voting enthusiasm is a bit down, but if this place was truly indicative of voting intention we would still be in the EU. Voting intention may be down, but I am aware that I tend to exist in an echo chamber of my own views, and that would have lead to a very different world. 

• Paid Members

A lot gets made of getting the youth to vote, and Student engagement with support for Palestine has been pretty high over the last few months.

Will this enthusiasm draw more engagement? 

• Paid Members
Just now, BigJag said:

A lot gets made of getting the youth to vote, and Student engagement with support for Palestine has been pretty high over the last few months.

Will this enthusiasm draw more engagement? 

No. Young Brits don't vote.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I'm sure there's some hope among the Tories that all the students who want to vote will be in the wrong place - they won't have had the foresight to change their constituency etc. etc.

I need to get onto my local Green Party candidate to see his views on issues I care about - the Green Party is a bit hit and miss on trans issues, for example. 

A student can register in two constituencies, but only vote in one. 

I think turnout will be reasonable, 2019 did go down from 2017. December would be better for the conservatives as the racists will still turn out at Christmas. July should be fine for voters, I'm thinking 67%.

Edited by westlondonmist

Keir Starmer is realising the wilder fantasies of Blair, because he hasn't got a Gordon Brown - an equally powerful figure, perhaps moreso within the party - who could regulate Blair's more radical instincts to rebuild the Labour party in definition against the left wing.

It both creates a space for a new left wing party to form, but also the threat that it's dead on arrival if it's proven the electorate don't really care and deliver Starmer a whacking majority anyway.

It's a dead election, in many ways, as I don't think either choice changes anything; they're both falling over themselves to commit to no tax rises, which given the lack of headroom, pretty much means nothing of note can or will happen. The most interesting thing that's happening - and no one is talking about - is the Boris-ification of the Lib Dems and Ed Davey. It's politics by goofy PR stunt after goofy PR stunt.

2 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The most interesting thing that's happening - and no one is talking about - is the Boris-ification of the Lib Dems and Ed Davey. It's politics by goofy PR stunt after goofy PR stunt.

• Paid Members

I understand the Isreal/Palestine conflict is a hot topic at the minute but I’m skeptical of the long term results for people running with it as their primary subject because when it isn’t the hot topic anymore, what else are they offering?

Not to sound heartless but everyone will have a list of priorities with what they want from a possible new government and as much as I understand it’s a huge issue right now, getting involved in conflicts in the Middle East isn’t as high on my list as other issues, though I can appreciate it will be number one for other people.

I’m looking forward to when manifestos start coming out and I can weigh up my options on something more substantial than just name dropping Palestine or taxes or pensions. It’s interesting to see so many independents and parties other than Labour or the Tories start to pop up out the woodwork as well. I felt like during the local elections it was one or the other, our Green candidate didn’t even bother running.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, FLips said:

I understand the Isreal/Palestine conflict is a hot topic at the minute but I’m skeptical of the long term results for people running with it as their primary subject because when it isn’t the hot topic anymore, what else are they offering?

Not to sound heartless but everyone will have a list of priorities with what they want from a possible new government and as much as I understand it’s a huge issue right now, getting involved in conflicts in the Middle East isn’t as high on my list as other issues, though I can appreciate it will be number one for other people.

It's not heartless at all. It's very easy to get caught up in echo chambers (especially on social media) which leave you thinking that issues you see being heavily discussed are priorities outside of that bubble. I'm aware this is completely anecdotal but I was told that there's not been a single mention of Israel/Palestine on the doorstep round here. However, if you asked the same question somewhere with a larger Jewish/Muslim community you'd probably get a very different response. 

• Paid Members

Some of the other issues I would say that voters need to be cogniscent of are

NHS-privitisation- Wes Streeeting doesn't seem to be making himself too many fans on that issue.

Taxation of private school fees. Mainly a Labour suggestion.

Regulation of service industries- Water,Gas, Electricity, Rail.

I'm sure there's loads of local issues I'm a bit blind to. Not good when I work for the local City council. Energy is a big concern for us. We've been working hard at reducing our street lighting bill.

49 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

It's not heartless at all. It's very easy to get caught up in echo chambers (especially on social media) which leave you thinking that issues you see being heavily discussed are priorities outside of that bubble. I'm aware this is completely anecdotal but I was told that there's not been a single mention of Israel/Palestine on the doorstep round here. However, if you asked the same question somewhere with a larger Jewish/Muslim community you'd probably get a very different response. 

“Potholes and Dogshit”, and one more I can’t remember!  That’s what most people care about. 

• Paid Members

South Ribble makes me feel like I’m playing Two Point Hospital or something. What a stupid name for a place.