Promotion Names

Vamp

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chili said:

WAR, which is a brilliant name, but it's actual two definitions, Wrestle Association R and more specifically Wrestle and Romance are wonderfully bizarre and I'm guessing lost in some sort of translation. Unless Tenryu had some curious ideas he never got round to beyond random 6 man tag teams.

I think WAR is using a fairly old-fashioned definition of the word "Romance", to basically mean something closer to what we'd call something like a historical epic; think "Romance of the Three Kingdoms".

It might be my residual CHIKARA nerdery, or my love for Michinoku Pro, but I do prefer names that are "X Pro Wrestling" or "Pro Wrestling X" over the usual alphabet soup of acronyms.

Though I could do without a hundred variations on the theme of Anarchy, Rebellion, Revolution, Hardcore, Extreme, or anything else that feels like it was taken from a 2001 nu-metal album or skateboarding video.

7 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

I remember working for TAP which stands for Tri-County Association Pro, which I admit would be a decent name now, but at the time all I could think about was a faucet. 

Reminded me of JTO - Just Tap Out

There's also H2O - Hardcore Hustle Organization

• Paid Members

Yeh, there was a bit of an indie wrestling "scene" in the Midlands back in the early 2000s, I remember: you had Midlands Pro Wrestling (run by the estimable @Majik I think), WAR, TAP, LPW (Leicester Pro Wrestling, not the Bowler debacle), Gerry Norton Promotions (I'm fairly sure they were in the Midlands), K-STAR (run by Kevin O'Neill?), then a little later the aforementioned AMP, which was the family-friendly branch of the two promotions run by Jeckyl and Blokbusta, the other being the popular (on here) Triple X Wrestling.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Gerry Norton Promotions

Gerry Norton was a true wrestling promoter. He would lie to your face in front of other people, he would then turn to those people and lie to them with a lie that directly contradicted everything he had said to you. There were a couple of separate bits to his promotional activity. Gerry Norton Promotions that were usually around the Worksop/Sheffield area and were usually promoted by the Wrestler Rainz. Then there was Norton British Wrestling that ran Nottingham to Boston and all points between, occasionally getting as far south as Stamford. Gerry was what you would call a 'Character" faking heart attacks, hitting police officers, getting done for running a business from a council house, appearing on Jeremy Kyle for a DNA test were all part of the daily scheduled along with the wrestling.

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Piss poor spelling.

• Paid Members

Ah, that was it - Norton British Wrestling was the Midlands one. Think that got taken over by Stixx and became Southside?

• Paid Members

The only other promotions I know with that were Dale Martin Promotions and Jim Crockett Promotions. I'm guessing there were quite a few.

3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The only other promotions I know with that were Dale Martin Promotions and Jim Crockett Promotions. I'm guessing there were quite a few.

APB Wrestling was named after the promoter. I’m sure said promoter is a famous as those two. Well, on here at least. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Ah, that was it - Norton British Wrestling was the Midlands one. Think that got taken over by Stixx and became Southside?

Nope. The wrestling school that was eventually run by Stixx, and I think still is became House Of Pain after there was some sort of fall out that I'm not aware of. I think they still promote now, mainly in Nottingham. There was also HOPE wrestling that was promoted by Harvey Dale who I think has been outed as a wrong un. They promoted very similar areas to HOP, again I believe there was some sort of fallout. Southside promoted Nottingham, Stevenage, St Neots and possibly other places. Ben who ran that used to post here. They weren't related to the other two apart from sharing some talent. Ben also had a proper job, I think working for Barclays, he was a nice bloke and he booked who he liked including a fair amount of overseas talent. I'm pretty sure he booked Fit Finlay v Sami Callighan (sp?) On a show I saw. He did run long shows though. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Kensuke Office would be another, even if just using his first name. Onita Pro, too.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Nottingham and its surrounding suburbs became somewhat of a britwres battleground for a while there. I don't know if it still is. As well as all the ones I've already mentioned I seem to remember MPW running Beeston, they were shite. Real Deal Wrestling also ran Long Eaton, but mainly ran on the east coast/Humberside area. I know for at least two years they ran the Suncastle at Skegness every week during the summer. 

• Paid Members

I remember Real Deal! Also, the infamous Sliced Bread Wrestling with their Golden Toaster instead of a championship belt - I think they were based around there.