Progress nearly half million in debt

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

Are there any UK feds not run by the various flavours of sociopath we usually get at this point? North look pretty good but it's a helluva trek for me to get to their shows.

Rev Pro have always seemed to come across relatively problem free, but maybe I’m missing something.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Cannibal Man said:

Still havent brought half/most of the NJPW roster back to Altrincham

No reason to go back since Kingfisher Fish & Chips closed.

12 hours ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

Are there any UK feds not run by the various flavours of sociopath we usually get at this point? North look pretty good but it's a helluva trek for me to get to their shows.

North are currently running an event with Sid Scala so I wouldn't say they are squeaky clean. 

There is lots of great companies all over the U.K. not ran by idiots or perverts but most fly under the radar. 

Posted (edited)

In classic forum etiquette, this thread has gone waay off topic  :D

As a major investor in Progress and Defy, I can certainly clear up some misconceptions here, notwithstanding the lack of financial knowledge here of course, (and inability to divulge financial details):

1. Debt on the Progress balance sheet is owed to the 3 owners of Progress.  Myself, Lee and Martyn.  We are in a growth phase and have invest a little each to pull Progress out of a covid slump. We are not expecting out $$ back anytime soon.  There is no danger of Progress going out of business.  Creditors say due withing one year but it will get kicked down the road.
2.  I'm a boxing fan.  Not wrestling fan.  I'm English.  I emigrated to the USA 25 years ago.  I've been moderately successful and have a bit extra to support fun projects.  Lee is an old mate of mine and is very passionate about wrestling, so I invested in it.  I was at the Progress show in Philly and hung out in the Suites with everyone at Wrestlemania.  So if you were there, you probably met me (unfortunately i look like bleeding Matt Bloom :D:D ) That was the first progress show I've ever been to.
3. Progress did purchase Defy at the beginning of the year and there was a financial consideration.

Now everyone could have an opinion if this was a good "investment", believe me, my f*cking wife does! :D:D  To me its a punt on a mate and a fun project.

Personally I'm backing a mates passion and I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to do so.  To be honest, I loved meeting the fans in Philly.  Some great people and I was surprised at the quality of talent at all the independent shows I saw there.  I didn't expect to, but I had a blast.

Theres nothing more than three fellas, one (me) that knows sod all about wrestling, trying to make something out of Progress.  Im sure along the way, will do something people disagree with, something people think is stupid and we will probably cock something up a few times.  But we are giving it a go. 

Expecting to get flamed but thats the scoop.

Edited by MB1975
Their to there

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, MB1975 said:

Flamed sausage and a scoop of mash, hopefully.

22 minutes ago, MB1975 said:

Theres nothing more than three fellas, one (me) that knows sod all about wrestling, trying to make something out of Progress.  Im sure along the way, will do something people disagree with, something people think is stupid and we will probably cock something up a few times.  But we are giving it a go. 

Flamed?

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by Peacock

All jokes aside - hope you don't mind me asking, and I don't really know who you are, but seeing as you seem to be involved.. where does Progress fit in in 2024? Curious to know what the mentality is behind the company now and what the vision is, as the landscape has changed so much now. I see it as a much tougher sell.

8 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Flamed?

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by Peacock

All jokes aside - hope you don't mind me asking, and I don't really know who you are, but seeing as you seem to be involved.. where does Progress fit in in 2024? Curious to know what the mentality is behind the company now and what the vision is, as the landscape has changed so much now. I see it as a much tougher sell.

Honestly, Im not the one to ask,  If ever there's a situation of someone just being "the bloke who writes the checks" its me for Progress.

I believe the focus is on a few things (Im a layman remember)

1. Providing a great platform and structure for talent to flourish and want to be part of and represent Progress.  Theres alot of wrestlers that, this is their full time job.  And pulling in 100 quid a show doesn't cut it, but they supplement with merchandise.  We want to be supportive in this.

2. Improve our streaming service and video content.  The WWE contract ending was a blow but nothing we hadn't anticipated.  it would be a really shitty business plan to rely on one contract to survive.  I expect us to still be selling content to them.  We have so much they want.  Things just need to settle first.  The double whammy was our streaming and subscription provider shitting the bed and us having to pivot so to speak.  My main thing in doing anything is, don't fanny about rushing to do it.  Do it slowly and do it correctly, so its robust and meets purpose.

3. More and bigger venues.  We are at a point with alot of our shows that we could use a bigger venue.  The jump in price compared to how many tickets we will sell is a big gamble though and we certainly do not want to increase prices.

As for "where does it fit in" - Like I said, I don't know the scene.  All i can tell you is the stuff I've seen and teh stuff I've been to, I see alot of fans having a great time.  Maybe it doesn't grow a whole lot.  Maybe it stays as it is, with a small, loyal fan base and one day its passed on to others with the passion.

I popped up on here because someone on the boxing forum I'm on asked me if we were going out of business.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

Where have you seen this? I've been to a few of their shows and follow their various pages but haven't seen any mention of him.

NORTH, ATTACK! and Scala's HUSTLE are running a joint show together in London at The Garage, Islington the day before AEW All In.

On 5/2/2024 at 12:43 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

. The new owners are dodgy grifters who ran the wrestling travel company that took you to wrestlemania and went bust under debts and then they started a new version with the same travel packages for this years Mania.  

This is inaccurate.  The Invasion Travel Group which owned Wrestling Travel was purchased by Intrax, a US based company.  Within a year they had decided to refund last years wrestling travel packages.  I believe that access to the tickets was cut by WWE because whoever took over teh social media bashed the WWE too much.  You cant upset the big guy apparently.

Lee and myself set up "Wrestling Tours" as it was a solid event and made money, to pick up the baton.  Not alot but worthwhile and its a blast.

We then got the opportunity to purchase the brand Wrestling Travel back in January.  It did not go bust,  they just purchased Invasion travel Group for the Americamp brand and had fuck all idea what to do with anything else.  We paid a nominal amount that was worth it for the social media following alone, and immediately repaired the relationship with WWE.

On 5/2/2024 at 12:52 PM, waters44 said:

Quite interesting that they have a new creditor of £251k this year. Wonder what that is. Also a new loan of £108k. No big increase in cash though, so they’ve already spent it

Negative balance sheet to the tune of £314k, not good

The 251k was me.  the 108k other owners.  I'm pretty transparent and I have no worries about sharing stuff.

2023 we would have made a healthy profit if it wasn't for the WWE falling through.  As it was we made a small loss. Theres a multi company structure involved in the shares and support of Progress, so Progress Wrestling Ltd balance sheet alone is a small snapshot