Progress nearly half million in debt

Posted (edited)

Just posted it as I remembered reading one of his posts about it a while back so thought id ask him about it. Also says they bought DEFY wrestling this year. Make of it what you will

Im just a casual fan and know nothing of indies nor am i a financial expert - just thought you might be interested to hear what he has to say... can't guarantee he isn't lying but he was posting about buying the promotion a couple of months (or more i cant remember) back, on a non wrestling forum.

Edited by RoryT

22 minutes ago, HobowithaShotgun said:

Yeah they apparently bought or merged with Defy which was quite random. Defy sells out here in Seattle regularly and prices are high enough but the shows are stacked. Makes me wonder how well Defy are truly doing then based on all of this.

What did that merger actually mean? As far as I am aware Progress and Defy still run I'm there own markets and very little has changed from a fans perspective.

27 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

What did that merger actually mean? As far as I am aware Progress and Defy still run I'm there own markets and very little has changed from a fans perspective.

Baffled myself honestly and no clue what it means. There's talk of pooling resources and they ran a joint show at the collective but not sure what it means beyond that. Not like they're shipping rings across to each other or anything I'd imagine. I can't really fathom why Defy would merge with a UK company that's seemingly deep in the hole financially, can't imagine there's a lot to gain from it.

• Paid Members

A British company with a load of debt buying an overseas company? Well, I’m no expert, but some combination of money laundering and/or tax evasion.

Chapter 140 : Bringing In Surprising Amounts Of Turnover For A Car Wash Next To A Polski Sklep

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Headlined by Enzo Amore-tisation. 

He'll definitely be coerced into returning for Unboxing 7 : Baby It's Cold Outside.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

In Britwres, a merger means:

"Shall we just say we merged so we seem bigger and more international, and maybe we can run some shows together sometime?

"Yeah okay".

I doubt there was anything more to it like money changing hands, change of company directors, updating the articles or memorandums, asset handovers - it was all just fluff.  

11 hours ago, herbie747 said:

In Britwres, a merger means:

"Shall we just say we merged so we seem bigger and more international, and maybe we can run some shows together sometime?

"Yeah okay".

I doubt there was anything more to it like money changing hands, change of company directors, updating the articles or memorandums, asset handovers - it was all just fluff.  

This was my presumption too. It's the way the original press release was very "OH MY GOD THIS IS MASSIVE FOR FANS" and led to nothing.

Had something similar here; two training schools merged, but really one was closing up shop and was a way to save face. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Daddymagic said:

Lee McAteer is a prize idiot but I don't see even him either a) having half a million to throw around or b) divulging how he runs his business on a random forum. 

You’d be surprised what people admit on a random forum. 

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure whoever I have spoken to is NOT Lee Mcateer as he isn't a wrestling fan and I think he's US based.

Maybe he's just some weird guy on an obscure forum who made it up for clout, considering most people on that forum think wrestling is shit it would be a weird flex.

The numbers are out there and people were speculating - why not clear things up like he did. Could easily just be mates with this other guy etc.  We shall see.

Edited by RoryT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RoryT said:

Maybe he's just some weird guy on an obscure forum who made it up for clout, considering most people on that forum think wrestling is shit it would be a weird flex.

Not sure it's any weirder than people who hate wrestling coming to a wrestling forum to talk about virtually anything BUT wrestling.

48 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Not sure it's any weirder than people who hate wrestling coming to a wrestling forum to talk about virtually anything BUT wrestling.

Is this a thing?