8 pts - Omori

7 pts - Final Fantasy XVI

6 pts - The Last of Us pt 2

5 pts - Tekken 3

4 pts - Fallout 3

3 pts - Red Dead Redemption 2

2 pts - Sonic 3 & Knuckles

1 pt - Stardew Valley

This was a bloody hard list to pull together, and I may switch up the order before the deadline, or even swap out games. Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Super Mario 64, Xenoblade Chronicles, Tetris 99, Fallout 3, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy, A Short Hike, Hotline Miami, Superhot and Super Mario Galaxy were all on the list at various points. I’m sure there are other games in forgetting too! 

Edited by RedRooster

• Awards Moderator

10 points - SmackDown: Shut Your Mouth

(the best wrestling games are this, HCTP and All Stars. I could have gone with any of them, but SYM was at the peak of my WWE fandom)

9 - The Last Of Us

(it had to be high. Engrossing story, big time emotional investment)

8 - Tekken Tag Tournament 

(the reason I wanted a PS2)

7 - Spider-Man PS4

(it’s very rare I 100% a game, especially in the last decade or so. I’ve done it for every game in this series. I love them)

6 - Pokemon Red

(Venusaur, Vaporeon, Raichu, Pidgeot, Mewtwo. I still remember my team)

5 - Guitar Hero 2

(it should be the Aerosmith one if I’m completely honest with myself)

4 - Premier Manager 98

(Like with choice 1, this was at the peak of my football fandom and had everything I wanted)

3 - Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fuelled

(My wife and I played this nightly as part of our evening routine for about two years. And then I lost the disc when the PS4 broke. Gutting)

2 - Uncharted

(could have been any of them as I tend to play them as a series, but let’s say the first one)

1 - Star Wars Galaxy Of Heroes. 

(I hate myself for how many hours I’ve wasted on this bloody game)

Can you keep this open another couple of years so I can finish Tears of the Kingdom(well start it really). My top 3 of Breath of the Wild, RDR2 and GoW has definitely been disrupted by Elden Ring but even without that all other game ruining beast I think GoW would have dropped from my top spot. I’ll be back when I think of new and creative ways to fill the rest of my list with Peggle.

I started with a list of 31 and whittled it down to these. Not easy. I prefer solo games to multiplayer, so I’m sorry Goldeneye. 

1 point - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - took the massive open world of 3 and added Ray Liotta and the best soundtrack in any game ever made. I still remember getting on my first vehicle (a scooter in the alley) and the first song was Billie Jean. Perfect. 

2 points - Marvel’s Spider-Man - as a big superhero nonce, this was right up my alley. The first Spidey game that truly captured the feeling of web-swinging through New York. The sequel pretty much improved on everything, but I’m giving my points to the one that gave me what I had wanted for decades.

3 points - The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time - My mind was blown when you travelled through time and became adult Link. Z-targeting was a game changer. Breath Of The Wild and Tears Of The Kingdom may be incredible games, but neither comes close to this one for me. 

4 points - The Last Of Us Part II - Along with Red Dead 2, this is the most emotionally invested I’ve ever been in the story of a game. Abby is one of my favourite video game characters. I hated her at first, but over the course of the game and her relationship with Lev, I was completely on her side. If they do a part III, I hope we see her again. 

5 points - Final Fantasy VII - This was my first RPG, my first Final Fantasy and my first massive open world game. Memorable characters, killer soundtrack and a great variety of locations. Cait Sith is shit though. 

6 points - Batman: Arkham Asylum - City and Knight had a bigger scope, but the more linear narrative in Asylum captured the essence of Batman. All the Easter eggs of other villains never made it a chore to explore every nook and cranny. The Scarecrow nightmare sequences are some of my favourite gaming moments. Fantastic voice cast too.

7 points - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -  I can’t say for sure, but I believe I’ve spent more hours on this game than any other. The amount of hours I’ve spent in my Whiterun house, organising all my belongings into different chests…well, time well spent. The first encounter with a dragon in the wild is suitably epic. 

8 points - Red Dead Redemption 2 - Probably my favourite open world to explore. Gathering herbs, hunting for that perfect pelt, wandering into the distance to see what that cloud of smoke is. It never gets old. This has some of the greatest missions and characters I’ve ever encountered. And the only game to ever make me cry. 

9 points - Final Fantasy IX - I place it above 7 because I prefer the characters in this, Steiner alone. Wonderful locations again, like the Iifa Tree and Lindblum. Shame about the final boss however. Rally ho!

10 points - Elden Ring - I think I’ve sunk about 300 hours in to this. Prior to Elden Ring, I had played and failed several From games. Usually gave up when I hit my first major roadblock. The roadblock in this one was a fellow by the name of Margit The Fell Omen. Probably took me about 50+ attempts. I came close to quitting. I certainly rage quit the game a few times. But I persevered, explored the region around him, levelled up, got better, figured him out and eventually wiped the floor with him. The prick. Then I went on to beat every single boss in the game, find every weapon, location, item, quest, every thing the game had to offer. For the 3 months after it released, I did nothing else. When I was at work, I was thinking about where I was going to go next and how to beat that tricky boss. I made notes of all the stuff I found and places I had been. I was obsessed. So yeah. Fuck you Margit. Number one with a Moonveil. 

Honourable mentions to Super Mario Bros 3, Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, God Of War (PS4), MGS 2, Wind Waker, The Secret Of Monkey Island, Knights Of The Old Republic and Toejam & Earl 2: Panic On Funkatron. 

I wasn't going to pick more than one from the same series but I'd say Bloodborne and Dark Souls are different enough, same with the two Metal Gears I picked.

10 Points. Disco Elysium

9 Points. Metal Gear Solid 3

8 Points. Bloodborne

7 Points. Fallout New Vegas

6 Points. Deus Ex

5 Points. Dark Souls

4 Points. Deadly Premonition

3 Points. Resident Evil 1 Remake

2 Points. Metal Gear Rising; Revengeance

1 Point. WWF Wrestlefest

• Paid Members

10 points - Final Fantasy IX – the first RPG I ever played, I fell in love with it and it’s just so fun, heartfelt and the characters all (mostly) all brilliant. Quina + Eiko > Cait Sith if we’re talking about bad characters, but Dagger, Zidane, Vivi, Steiner and Freya shit on all other characters.

9 points - Persona 5 Royal – took all of the good bits from the previous Personas (3+4), and makes it so much more stylish, enjoyable and fun. The plot is a fun caper with the end of the world bits at the end, and I think it does everything perfectly.  

8 points - Elden Ring – I had never gelled with FromSoft games before – always enjoyed watching others play them but would get my arse handed to me whenever I played them, but the ease of using summons in Elden Ring made this a lot more fun. I finished it once with a magic build, then decided to “git gud” and use more of a melee build to replay it. It’s the first game I’ve ever platinumed, and I can’t wait for the DLC.

7 points - Slay the Spire – 849 hours on this bad boy, and I still go back for more. The best roguelike deck building game – none come close (although Balatro is sneaking into second). It’s endlessly fun, doesn’t feel unfair, and is just great.

6 points - Spider-Man 2 (PS5) – the first Spider-Man on the PS4 was excellent, as was Miles Morales, but I felt that the sequel took all of the best elements of the predecessors, and then added Web Wings. The plot was fun, and it was a joy to fly/swing through the city. Playing as the big bad for a bit was also very, very fun.

5 points - Baldur's Gate 3 – I love D&D, and this game does D&D the best any game has ever done it. The set pieces are incredible, the plot is pretty decent and the companions are a lot of fun. I keep wanting to go back to play it to see stuff I’ve missed, and then I get distracted again.

4 points – Red Dead Redemption 2 – the best open world game until Elden Ring. Not sure I’ve ever hated a character as much as I hate Micah, either.

3 points - Stardew Valley – just a fun, cosy time sink game. Mods add up a whole new world of game as well!

2 points - Pokemon Blue – the start of something very special. Missingno. made everything better.

1 point – The Last of Us 2 – beautiful game. I loved both sides of the game, and it took everything good about the first, and added it to the second. Increbidle.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nexus said:

3 points - Stardew Valley – just a fun, cosy time sink game. Mods add up a whole new world of game as well!

For whatever reason I’d never actually thought to mod the game, any recommendations?

Edited by RedRooster

10 points - Championship Manager 01/02 (PC)

9 points - Pro Evolution Soccer 4 

8 points - Grand Theft Auto V

7 points - Metal Gear Solid 2

6 points - Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain

5 points - FIFA '95

4 points - Streets of Rage 1 

3 points - KGB (Amiga)

2 points - Premier Manager 3 (Amiga)

1 point - Golden Axe (Mega Drive)

Edited by MungoChutney
Nominated the wrong Smackdown

10 points - Final Fantasy IX

9 Points - Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

8 Points - Final Fantasy 7 Remake

7 Points - Streets Of Rage 2

6 Points - The Last Of Us 

5 Points - Uncharted 2

4 Points - God Of War Ragnarok

3 Points - Resident Evil 2 (original)

2 Points - Metal Gear Solid

1 Point - Final Fantasy 7

I’ll definitely be editing this before the deadline.

Just now, RedRooster said:

I’m pretty surprised that you’ve ranked Rebirth and Remake so far ahead of VII, @TildeGuy~!. It’ll be interesting to see how much the third instalment of the retelling shapes your opinion in that respect (…if it ever releases in our lifetimes) 

I was always a IX fan over VIII and VII so I guess that moulds my opinion in terms of the PS1 games, if IX ever gets the remake treatment(which has been rumoured for a while now) I might just spontaneously combust

6 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I was always a IX fan over VIII and VII so I guess that moulds my opinion in terms of the PS1 games, if IX ever gets the remake treatment(which has been rumoured for a while now) I might just spontaneously combust

Have you seen the Memoria Project? They remade the Alexandria opening as a non playable demo. Looks fantastic. It’s exactly how I’d want a remake to look.

10 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I used to rate IX at a similar level to VI and VII (VIII has a ridiculous story), but when I replayed it I was really surprised to see how much of a predator Zidane is. At one point he grabs Dagger's arse without her consent, he's just generally a creep. A remake could tone his behaviour down a bit, if nothing else. I'd also like to see them add more side quests and expand on the card game a bit. I think I preferred the IX card game to Triple Triad, mainly due to the fact they didn't ruin the fun with unnecessary rules such as 'random'. 

• Paid Members

10 points - Final Fantasy VII 

9 - The Secret Of Monkey Island

8 - Metal Gear Solid

7 - Red Dead Redemption 2

6 - Starcraft

5 - Dungeon Keeper

4 - Super Mario Galaxy 2 

3 - Chrono Trigger

2 - Age of Empires 2

1 - Streets Of Rage 2

Did we do something similar a few years ago? I seem to remember the crushing disappointment that nobody had played or cared about Freespace 2. Look, I’m not bothered, it’s just the best game ever. [/tears]

10 pts: Freespace 2 (PC)
9 pts: CM97/98 (PC)
8 pts: Streets of rage 2 (Mega drive)
7 pts: Goldeneye (N64)
6 pts: Super Mario 64 (N64)
5 pts: Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (PS2)
4 pts: Super Mario Land 3: Warioland (GB)
3 pts: Smackdown: Just bring it (PS2)
2 pts: Civilization 2 (PC)
1 pt: Overcooked (Switch)