VOTE: UKFF greatest videogames of all times thread

RedRooster

This thread might fall flat on its arse, but hopefully not…

Here’s how it works. You can nominate up to 10 videogames, with 10 points going to your top game, 1 to the game that is bottom on your list. Please indicate clearly what game on your list gets 10-points. It goes without saying, but you can’t nominate the same game twice to ensure it gets extra points.

When the vote closes 7am Monday 22nd April, I’ll tally the votes and build a list of the UKFF’s top games of all time. Depending on the number of nominations, this will range from 20 to 100 (a broad range, I know!) - but I’ll try to make it as expansive as I can. Each game will have a short write-up, and to keep it interesting (and if people are up for it), I’ll invite the odd guest writer to draft a short entry for their favourite game (with credit, of course!), although I will write the vast majority of this myself.

Of course, if no one nominates anything, I’ll let the thread die and shirk quietly in a corner pretending this didn’t happen! I’ll add my own nominations later.

Edited by RedRooster

• RedRooster changed the title to VOTE: UKFF greatest videogames of all times thread
4 minutes ago, TibBo said:

Computer games? Arcade/console? Board games? Games?  What are we ranking matey?

We’re talking video games. Whether it’s arcade, console, PC or even smartphone, it’s up to you. They’re all eligible. If you want to nominate Snake on your old Nokia, crack on!

21 minutes ago, Nexus said:

PMed or public posted?

Just post them here, as you would for the UKFF awards. If you don’t immediately have 10 games to list, that’s OK too. You can add to them or change your mind between now and the closing date. 

Hell yes. I love a list. Though putting them in order is going to take some tinkering. Skyrim on Xbox 360, Skyrim Special Edition on Xbox One, Skyrim Special Edition on PS4, Skyrim Anniversary Edition on PS4 and Skyrim Anniversary Edition on PS5 takes up half the list. This may require some brutal Skyrim culling. 

• Paid Members

Can't help but feel like I'm missing another 20 games that could easily make this list, but if I think too long I'll never choose. Sorry but I had to write a few sentences about each one, revisiting these in my head has been a delight.

Goldeneye - 1 point
When I think about growing up, this is the game that comes to mind. One of the few happy memories I have of my brother & my dad are the hours we wasted playing Goldeneye multiplayer. Great local co-op, difficulty settings that give you more objectives to do, and in-game times to beat still make this the ideal of a first-person shooter to me.

Final Fantasy XI - 2 points
I've played a lot of MMO's but this was the one that really started it for me. I don't disagree that Final Fantasy XIV is the smoother playing experience but the slow awkwardness of this game, learning to navigate the world, needing to be grouped up to fight even one enemy, losing experience on death - the sharp edges hook this into my mind so much more strongly.

Dota 2 - 3 points
This is one that established a lot of adult friendships to me. I was working in esports already when I got into this, and despite the popularity of things like League of Legends and the other also-rans surrounding it Dota 2 is the only one that's ever felt remotely interesting to play.

The Longest Journey - 4 points
I loved this one as a kid, and I loved revisiting it as an adult. Probably my first brush with magical realism, a kind of genre that is still among my favourites, and it's a game series I stuck with right through to the end. Also dragons are cool.

Metal Gear Solid - 5 points
Synonymous with the Playstation for me, I replayed this just last month and it's still so good. For all the criticisms of Kojima as 'wanting to make movies' his games are some of the most videogamey of them all. Swapping controller ports, reading the back of the box to get a codec number, having a torture minigame where the explicit punishment from the villain is being sent back to your last save that was ages ago. Fantastic.

Halo 3 - 6 points
Halo 2 was the online multiplayer explosion for me, but Halo 3 was that plus a single-player campaign that wasn't arse. Still the best multiplayer arenas in the business, and not even Infinite matches that Halo 3 feeling of "See that huge battle going on int he skybox? You're about to go there and be in it.

Soul Reaver - 7 points
I call this the game that made me want to make games. The appeal to me is an incredible story set-up, full of high drama and voice actors giving it their all, but it's dimension-shifting platforming gimmick blew my mind. My first look into an incredible series of games, absolutely atrocious that in this world of constant remakes and reboots that all we've had is a rubbish multiplayer-only game out of this world.

Final Fantasy 8 - 8 points
Just go watch the intro cutscene, or the one where you're racing away from a giant mechanical spider while your teacher guns it to death. I was a few years away from knowing what anime was andf this was the coolest thing I had ever seen. I grew up wanting to look like Squall and have a cool girlfriend like Rinoa to the point my first ever girlfriend was a thin, fairly pale girl with long dark hair. Going back as an adult this is still cool as hell, and the junction system is much more fun to play with than the other systems they were trying out at the time.

Elden Ring - 9 points
Debated this one, I've tried to avoid recency bias (so no Death Stranding) but there was no way I could put Ocarina of Time on the list over this. The absolute pinnacle of what From has been playing with for years, this took over my life (and my friend's lives) for months after it launched. Has that same sense I had as a kid playing OoT of exploring this incredible, vast, unfamiliar world, and it has at least two moments that rival hitting the time-shift of Ocarina in making my brain go "What the fuck?" Probably the best game ever made.

Starcraft 2 - 10 points
No question really. I was a rubbish wrestler and a not much better ring announcer, destined for a life of working at Morrisons and growing bitter at my lack of success compared to the people I trained with. Then Starcraft 2 came out and I started playing it, then I started watching Day9, then I attended a 'barcraft' evening in Manchester - watching a tournament broadcast from America with a group of people in the Kyoto Lounge - and my life was never the same again. I helped organise events, became a moderately successful Starcrft 2 commentator, attended the Insomnia Gaming Festival first as press, then as a Starcraft 2 tournament organiser and then they hired me to work full-time and suddenly I was at the start of a career that now sees me working on a hugely popular video game as the head of a department. Starcraft 2 literally changed my life, and it's still an absolute blast to play.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

10 pts - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

9 - Championship Manager 97/98

8 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

7 - Super Mario 64

6  - Bubble Bobble

5 - Super Mario Bros. 3

4 - Doom 2

3 - Goldeneye 64

2 - Grand Theft Auto 3

1 - Limbo

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

10: Championship Manager Italia (PC)

9: Championship Manager 93/94 (PC)

8: Football Manager 2005 (PC)

7: Football Manager 14 (PC)

6: Football Manager 2007 (PC)

5: Football Manager 16 (PC)

4: Championship Manager 2 (PC)

3: Championship Manager 97/98 (PC)

2: Skool Daze (Spectrum)

1: Championship Manager 01/02 (PC)

10.) Metal Gear Solid

9.) Medal Of Honor: Frontline 

8.) Goldeneye

7.) GTA III

6.) GTA Vice City

5.) GTA San Andreas 

4.) Final Fantasy VII

3.) FIFA: Road to World Cup 98

2.) Banjo Kazooie

1.) Cool Boarders 2

COOOOOOOOOL BOARDERS!

Edit: These are the points I want them to have, so 10 for MGS. apologies @RedRooster

Edited by SuperBacon
Even I edit sometimes. Get over it nerds. Hi Chest

58 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Final Fantasy XI - 2 points
I've played a lot of MMO's but this was the one that really started it for me. I don't disagree that Final Fantasy XIV is the smoother playing experience but the slow awkwardness of this game, learning to navigate the world, needing to be grouped up to fight even one enemy, losing experience on death - the sharp edges hook this into my mind so much more strongly.

The only mainline Final Fantasy game I’ve not played. I lived rurally while this was active, and my broadband just wasn’t good enough to make giving it a go feasible. I really wish I’d been able to, as it sounds like it was a great experience. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, gmoney said:

10: Championship Manager Italia (PC)

9: Championship Manager 93/94 (PC)

8: Football Manager 2005 (PC)

7: Football Manager 14 (PC)

6: Football Manager 2007 (PC)

5: Football Manager 16 (PC)

4: Championship Manager 2 (PC)

3: Championship Manager 97/98 (PC)

2: Skool Daze (Spectrum)

1: Championship Manager 01/02 (PC)

ooh, hang on I think I did this wrong. I did it as a ranking countdown instead of points. So it should be:

10 points Championship Manager 01/02 (PC)

9: Skool Daze (Spectrum)

8: Championship Manager 97/98 (PC)

7: Championship Manager 2 (PC)

6: Football Manager 16 (PC)

5: Football Manager 14 (PC)

4: Football Manager 2005 (PC)

3: Championship Manager 93/94 (PC)

2: Championship Manager 93/94 (PC)

1: Championship Manager Italia (PC)

• Paid Members

10 pts. Championship Manager 01-02 (PC)

9 pts. UFO Enemy Unknown (Amiga)

8 pts. Brian Lara Cricket 96 (Megadrive)

7 pts. Gran Tourismo 2(PS1)

6 pts. Worms Armageddon (PS1)

5 pts. Multi Player Soccer Manager (Spectrum)

4 pts. Elite (BBC Model B)

3 pts. Uncharted Waters (Megadrive)

2 pts. G1 Jockey 3. (PS2)

1 pt. Tony Hawks Pro Skater (PS1)