Cold And Flu Remedies

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I am currently 4 days in to a real stinker of a cold. My usual remedy of Lempsip Max Strength made with hot water, ginger, honey and brandy to wash down 2 paracetamol is not cutting through it at all. The headache, cough, and phlegm will not relent. 

So does anyone else have a remedy they would like to share because I need something to break this bastard cold. 

Fucks sake wrong forum. Could a mod do me a solid please 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Stupidity

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Doesn't lemsip already have the equivalent of 2 paracetamol in it anyway?

Eating junk food, sleeping and excessively long hot showers are the only things that do it for me when I've got a cold.

I don't know about the lemsip\paracetamol ratio Chest, they let you buy lemsip on top of a couple of packets of paracetamol and they don't usually let you buy more than 2 of anything like that together. 

If the second part of your cure worked for me I'd be cold free 24-7 365. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Missed a bit.

• Paid Members

a friend of mine concocted a drink with the following recipe that helped at least clear up the sinuses a little when I had a bastard of a cold recently:

1/2 chopped lemon
3 cloves roughly chopped garlic
At least 8 dried birds eye chillis
Squeeze of honey
Teaspoon of Turmeric
Large helping of fresh ginger
Fill with boiled water.

If nothing else, you certainly know you're drinking it.

• Paid Members

Knock lemsip on the head, alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen every two hours and suck on a fisherman’s friend 

Every now and then get a big bowl of hot water, put in a couple of drops of albas oil, then put your head over it with a towel covering you up. The vapours will break up the congestion and it will all drip down your face into the bowl. Then a hot shower to clear any leftovers 

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Eating junk food,

13 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Have a fry-up.

Absolutely, but you have to wait until you can taste again before doing these otherwise it's an utter waste isn't it?

But once that taste kicks back in, a McDonald's really is the first port of call. 

I absolutely hate Lemsips, so add 3 or 4 sugars in as well.

• Paid Members

Turmeric with honey. Turmeric with milk. Turmeric with Water. Turmeric.

Apparently turmeric fixes all ailments.. at least that's what all my aunts say.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

The Sudafed nasal spray (Snuffy Puffer as my wife calls it) is absolute magic and will clear your nose, head a sinuses in 2 minutes.

But, I’ve found it takes me a lot longer to get rid of the cold than it otherwise would. Well worth it for a bit of relief when you need it though.

Edited by Scratch

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Scratch said:

The Sudafed nasal spray (Snuffy Puffer as my wife calls it) is absolute magic and will clear your nose, head a sinuses in 2 minutes.

But, I’ve found it takes me a lot longer to get rid of the cold than it otherwise would. Well worth it for a bit of relief when you need it though.

I got told off by the Doctor the other week for using Sudafed. He said you get instant relief, but it prolongs healing (that can cause other issues), which pretty much is what you said