15 minutes ago, neil said:

He must have some dirt on someone on the council to be getting hand outs like that

Or was shagging Kirsty who was signing the cheques and had set up “Initiatives” with him. 

47 minutes ago, neil said:

He must have some dirt on someone on the council to be getting hand outs like that

Nope, this Kirsty O'Callaghan has been grifting with him for years. They used to be co-owners of a mindfulness organisation but then shut down rather quickly....Once accounts went overdue and loads of money missing

I nearly set up a grifters, or potential grifters, thread in the on topic forum recently.

Because... DDP... he might not be embroiled in financial criminality, but his whole shtick smacks to me as a massive grift.

It's basically 80s and 90s Trump-style, logo-slap branding combined with his new cod-wellness guru gimmick.

He even had the audacity to spend years saying 'YOU DONT NEED WEIGHTS TO BE FIT', only to pivot to weighted workouts when the emperors new yoga ran out of money.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2paXumMwZf/?igsh=MTF6a3d0dzUydmpncQ==

Have a day off mate.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

As someone who has done DDPY and knows others who have too, I don’t think he’s a grifter at all. I’ve seen the benefits first hand from it and the customisation is huge to suit your individual needs. 

He’s a hustler, not a grifter, because he absolutely 100% believes in what he’s selling. 

3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

As someone who has done DDPY and knows others who have too, I don’t think he’s a grifter at all. I’ve seen the benefits first hand from it and the customisation is huge to suit your individual needs. 

He’s a hustler, not a grifter, because he absolutely 100% believes in what he’s selling. 

I've done it too, it's great, but it's yoga. It's not particularly different to other forms of power yoga. And now he's selling the powercuffs, which is just blood flow restriction training.

I guess that's what I mean. It's nothing new, it's just him flogging someone else's stuff to people more likely to listen to him than they are some straight up yoga teacher (or now weightlifting trainer).

I think I just find him cloyingly annoying too.

I'm disappointed in you though Houchy, he's also clearly a massive Tory.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

DDP has done exactly what he needed to do. He found a way of selling something that wasn't exactly groundbreaking but something he believed in, put a spin on it and found a way of creating a brand to stand out in a crowded market. He's as much about marketing than anything. All the best brand are really. They're just there trying to convince you that you're missing out.

1 minute ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I've done it too, it's great, but it's yoga. It's not particularly different to other forms of power yoga. And now he's selling the powercuffs, which is just blood flow restriction training.

I guess that's what I mean. It's nothing new, it's just him flogging someone else's stuff to people more likely to listen to him than they are some straight up yoga teacher (or now weightlifting trainer).

I think I just find him cloyingly annoying told.

I'm disappointed in you though Houchy, he's also clearly a massive Tory.

That’s the thing, it isn’t yoga. Yoga is based on holding poses, DDPY is a workout based around yoga poses but you don’t hold the poses. 

It’s not like all the old programs are no longer available, and the amount of different programs and levels are astounding. I do the “Bed Yoga” (no BONK!) because my mobility is so poor and it has helped me move on to the next level. 

All the recipes and motivational vids come at no extra cost, so it’s not like you’re paying for the extras. They also have a lot of hardship memberships for low income households. Sure, it isn’t revolutionary but it’s certainly not a grift. 

If you don’t like him then that’s fair enough. He isn’t my favourite instructor in his own platform but I do like him. 

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

That’s the thing, it isn’t yoga. Yoga is based on holding poses, DDPY is a workout based around yoga poses but you don’t hold the poses. 

Nah, if you go through like Baptiste power yoga or vinyasa or other flow based yoga it's the same stuff. Even down to the contracting the muscles.

@DavidB6937 is right, it's a marketing scheme based on taking a product that is already proven proven selling it to people more likely to listen to DDP than others. My un-generous take is it's Trump Steaks, or Trump University or whatever... but a more generous take is that its bringing a form of exercise to a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to it and that's positive.

I think what's soured me on him is his personal shift towards the cod-wellness guru stuff, and his recent powercuff/weights workouts talking about bench pressing and getting 'the pump', which feels in contrast to what he was originally selling.

• Paid Members

I don't know what Trump Steaks are, but Trump University was an out and out scam. There's nothing scammy about DDP Yoga. Even if it's just branding something already out there with his name, that isn't a grift. He's providing something of value for a fair price. 

But isn’t that bench pressing in addition to what he originally does? He hasn’t disowned it and still sticks by it, he’s just introduced a separate style. He hasn’t pivoted for the money, he’s expanded the repertoire. As I say, it’s a hustle and not a grift.  And most of all, he isn’t just a spokesperson fronting a marketing campaign, he does the actual workouts and leads live ones because he believes in it. He doesn’t just appear in adverts. 

Not a grifter. 

• Moderators

Yeah I'm struggling to see where the grift is. There's a million different yoga schools and instructors who use established techniques, put their own twist on it, and give it a new name. It's just branding and product marketing for a real product that actually does something.

• Paid Members

the main thing with DDP is that a lot of his success stories are because he managed to sell an exercise regimen to people who would normally never have considered something like Yoga; that's why so many of his big before and after stories are people who lost insane amounts of weight, because they went from zero exercise or diet plan to actually following a regular workout schedule. You can be annoyed at the hustle, but he's not a conman or a quack - and God knows there's plenty of them in the Yoga and workout world - or selling quick fixes, he just cornered a market, and fair play to him.