• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'd love for them to find a way of recapturing the feeling I got back in 2021 and early 2022, when it felt like anything could happen, and Dynamite felt like an 'event'.

I think all it takes is a hot story or two to capture that "must see" feeling. They were almost there with the start of the Elite/BCC feud and the MJF/Cole stuff but never quite nailed it. AEW is telling some extremely solid stories at the moment which they should be commended for but they're not telling a story that really pops with a "what's going to happen next?" level of excitement right now. If they can come up with 1 or 2 angle heavy stories that hit that (easier said than done of course) and fill out the rest of the show with the really solid and consistent stuff they are doing at the moment then that should put them in a good place.

But on the other hand, AEW in 2021/22 was the exciting new thing. It was the first good US TV wrestling we had been given in years and years. I don't think they'll ever be able to recapture that fresh vibe.

Edited by LaGoosh

How have I just noticed when Jake Hagar ran into to assist Orange Cassidy that he's basically a giant version of OC. 

Please put them against Kingdom for a tag match and have them both dressed as Orange Cassidy. Do the thing.

4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

But on the other hand, AEW in 2021/22 was the exciting new thing. It was the first good US TV wrestling we had been given in years and years. I don't think they'll ever be able to recapture that fresh vibe.

There was definitely an element of that - but there was some fantastic storytelling. The Hangman/Omega saga, Brodie Lee and The Dark Order, MJF/Jericho, Miro becoming a religious fanatic, Cody/MJF and Kingston/Moxley to name but a few. The wheels fell off, for me, shortly after Cody left the company - maybe in the run-up to the first Forbidden Door. They were doing a lot of good stuff, most of which wasn't reliant on their newness. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

The wheels fell off

Yeah of course. They always do. Sadly I can't think of any wrestling company that has managed to put together consistently good and exciting wrestling TV for longer than 2-3 years at a time before the wheels falls off and the product loses it's shine. I think Revolution 2022 was the peak of the company and things started to go down the toilet after that.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Wardlow's promo was so goddamn good, where has that guy been hiding? Proper main eventer shit right there, get him away from the Undisputed Kingdom asap. 

And I don't know what MEAT MADNESS is but I'm extremely excited and happy about it. 

Edited by LaGoosh

19 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah of course. They always do. Sadly I can't think of any wrestling company that has managed to put together consistently good and exciting wrestling TV for longer than 2-3 years at a time before the wheels falls off and the product loses it's shine. I think Revolution 2022 was the peak of the company and things started to go down the toilet after that.

I would say that's excusing it a little - the ingredients are there for this not to have been inevitable. I guess that's why I find AEW frustrating - a lot of its issues are so obvious and avoidable (eg. long, predictable matches taking a star vs. undercard wrestler approach, ROH, far too many titles, bad ordering of shows, signing sex pests) 

I'm intrigued by the signing of Jennifer Pepperman. I don't know much about her, but at least Khan is taking steps to improve storytelling. 

13 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Wardlow's promo was so goddamn good, where has that guy been hiding? Proper main eventer shit right there, get him away from the Undisputed Kingdom asap. 

It was absolutely brilliant, to the point I feel like they need to capitalise on it. I'm not sure how exactly, but there's reason to feel excited about the guy again. 

7 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I think Dave Meltzer has lost the plot completely now. He's hearing and seeing things that arent there.

WON these days is basically just ratings breakdowns (yawn), reprinted Fightful scoops and stuff that Jericho or Konnan have asked him to put in there.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

How have I just noticed when Jake Hagar ran into to assist Orange Cassidy that he's basically a giant version of OC. 

Please put them against Kingdom for a tag match and have them both dressed as Orange Cassidy. Do the thing.

Add Kevin De Bruyne to the mix and you have a doppelganger trios team.

A slight defense to Meltzer. The "report" just seems to be clipped from his podcast that would have begun not long after Dynamite ended. Whatever he was hearing would have included live reports like this:

The written report and the couple of write-ups just sound like two guys talking. May, appears, lots of ifs. There will have been countless other post-show podcasts doing the same thing. They just don't get clipped up and aggregated to the same degree.

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/hangman-page-may-have-suffered-serious-ankle-injury-on-aew-dynamite

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I would say that's excusing it a little - the ingredients are there for this not to have been inevitable.

Definitely not excusing it. It's annoying when a hot product goes cold - especially when the reasons for it are usually pretty obvious and should be obvious to the people in charge.