AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

First half hour of this show has Adam Cole, MJF, Chris Jericho, Bryan Keith, Mercedes Mone and The Acclaimed. Absolutely stacked...with shit.

EDIT: now finished. Pretty bad show this week but it has potentially given the world a new meme:

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Dynamite 16/10/24 

Another fantastic Mox vignette to open. Like @LaGoosh I was then extremely disappointed with the first hour, both the segments themselves and the graphics popping up suggesting we’d be getting a bunch of matches that could happen on any Dynamite, not the one following that PPV ending. 

Adam Cole/MJF in fairness did follow on from Wrestledream directly but I’m just not interested in the slightest in them feuding yet again. Cole’s promo was too long and got got fairly muted reactions from a crowd that was pretty loud for most of the show. 

Speaking of negative interest in never ending feuds, poor Mark Briscoe. What makes it all the more maddening is that he has to pretend that the Conglomeration and pretty much all AEW babyfaces aren’t at war right now! He’s in the vortex so deep he has to ignore that Mox and crew are destroying his pals and everybody else. 

Seeing Learning Tree vs FTR up next I was internally screaming “when are they gonna get to the fireworks factory??” at this episode.  It was a fine tag match, Bill looked amazing. I could even have accepted this if there was a follow up promo from FTR saying they want the tag titles away from The Bucks and back in the division, but there was nothing. Why are FTR content with this? This achieved nothing for anyone.

Caster to join MVP and ditch Bowens maybe? I don’t really care at this point. 

Mone/Aminata was decent, Aminata is consistently great and they had decent chemistry. Nothing from Statlander at all though. Unacceptable. 

Nick Jackson saying “long time no see” to Private Party made me laugh out loud. Stokeley looking to break them up now is somewhat interesting. He’s 100% right that Zay is the guy. 

Elite promo on Kenny was intriguing and also some good shithousery. I thought Perry was great in both of his brief appearances on this episode, what a loathsome little prick. 

Elite vs Conglomeration was yet another very strong six man tag. Was initially annoyed as Cassidy was still being a goof  in the first half, but I loved the way this was handled in the end. He was just getting all fired up and serious and the commentators were acknowledging this when Yuta showed up. The ending and post match here was all fantastic stuff. Loved all of this, I just wish it didn’t come an hour into the show! But yeah, the attack, the promo, the backstage chaos, the Elite being called out, Danny Garcia on the frontlines and his little confrontation with Perry. Excellent, easily the highlight of the show. 

Shelton Benjamin vs Lio Rush was brilliant! Monstrous performance from Benjamin. How is he 49 years old. Shelton Benjamin Button. He was of course aided by Lio bumping like a man possessed and making him look ten times better.  What a great match up these two made, couldn’t have asked for a better debut showcase for Shelton. Top promo from MVP as ever. Lio, drop the man an email and never speak to Andretti again. You know it makes sense. 

@LaGoosh with the psychic call on the Cage and Archer monster team up! Love this so much for both of them. A shame Cage is also saddled with that worthless singles title. Still no idea why they put that on him.

I’d rather Takeshita have bangers for the International title in AEW before launching up to the next tier buuuut the sicko in me loves the idea of Takeshita on tour. I would love it if they aired them on the shows like in the early days of the international title. Pleeeeeeease defend it against Jeff Cobb, I need that at least one more time. Would take any of his G1 opponents in fact. 

Belting promo from Mariah May! She is sounding so much better now she’s dropped the over-acted delivery and is just letting rip instead. Once again her points were sound and had a ton of conviction behind them. Growing into this role by the week, she’s on fire right now. 

Passable promo from Ricochet. The content was sound but still wooden with the delivery. 

Loved the additional backstage chaos with BCC continuing to whup everybody’s ass. Shafir mid hanging choke on Darius Martin a particularly cool visual. Her handling and presentation in this group has been immaculate so far. Evil Uno sounded great. Dark Order losing a wild parking lot brawl against BCC sounds good to me. Dante and Andretti did their best, probably the best I’ve heard either of them sound, but they’re still just too cold an act for me to get behind it. 

Good main event with great crowd heat. As I’ve said before, BBG can effortlessly be babyfaces without changing the act because they’re so charismatic. Really liked the babyfaces getting “outta here’d” but then dragging Nick Wayne out with them to keep things even. Hangman’s capacity to be the pettiest little bitch on this dark Hangman arc consistently delights me. Doing note for note Christian Cage shenanigans here with the little drop down out of sight. Look at the state of him: 

0FF3286A-B46F-4290-8155-8A68BD0BC22E.thumb.png.bb2c5bc90f2fb125919c96c6fe39a90e.png

Truly a show of two halves. Absolutely criminal waste of the first hour, but damn near everything in the second half hit for me. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JLM said:

Bill looked amazing

He needs to get those jeans back on. Weirdly trunks and bare legs make him look smaller. Also felt like it added to his character. Like he's so confident and cocky in his size that he doesn't even feel the need to wear wrestling gear.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Yeah the jeans with the giant Tims for added booting power was a great look for him. On the other hand, I forgot  to mention after Wrestledream, Ricochet going back to trunks is a waaay better look for him. 

Edited by JLM

It's night and day between the good stuff and the bad stuff. If they could cut down on Jericho and shit like that then they'd have a really great show. Sadly we had to sit through a lot of rubbish last night.

I love a motivated Mox who has something decent to sink his teeth into. And hopefully it's the storyline they need to give the company as a whole a good motivation and direction. I felt like the Bucks power move stuff was going to be like that but it didn't quite have that long term gripping storyline makeup that I thought it might have. The Mox stuff feels like it might be that instead.

But yeah, decent enough show that could've been a lot better if they cut the crap.

Given Moxley’s mission statement, he should have been all over this show. If ‘no one is safe’, prove it, have them show that they’re a threat to the entire company, all of the time. They’re on to a good thing with this story, but they need to make it more all-encompassing, at least some of the time.

The Adam Cole promo…they really made a mistake with that. You had a babyface try to justify heel actions. They might have gotten away with Cole admitting he made a mistake turning on MJF, and he realises he pushed him into becoming the worst version of himself, then you can have MJF say that ‘the worst version of himself’ is who he really is, rather than have Cole clumsily justify things in the way that he did.

The Acclaimed segment had me feeling optimistic that there’s going to be some level of change with the two. Although Caster did pocket the card, it was made pretty clear that Bowens noticed this. I wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up being the one to turn and join MVP, attempting to justify it by saying he knew Caster would have made the call since he took the card; it’s just that he (Bowens) made the call first.

Jericho needs to take a lengthy break, and ROH titles can get the fuck away from AEW television. It’s impossible to care about that promotion at this stage. I wish they’d just turn it into a developmental show, so at least you can view any title holder as a rising star. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

Given Moxley’s mission statement, he should have been all over this show. If ‘no one is safe’, prove it, have them show that they’re a threat to the entire company, all of the time. They’re on to a good thing with this story, but they need to make it more all-encompassing, at least some of the time.

Yeah, I thought they did a decent job of keeping the BCC angle going without committing to any significant future direction for it so there's still some mystery, but if Moxley wants to take over the company, why is he leaving before the main event?

It doesn't even need to be Moxley himself all other the show. Have other wrestlers mention him and Danielson in their promos. Instead of having the Dark Order and Top Flight both run in to fight them in one match, and then be in the backstage brawl, why not stagger that across the two segments - one team run in during the in-ring segment, one ring step up to them in the backstage; that way it feels less like one angle spaced out across the show, and more like a fluid and dynamic roster that are all interacting with each other.

I mostly enjoyed the episode, but some daft decisions made on a show following up a PPV that would have (presumably) encouraged a lot of people to tune in.

I think Adam Cole did as good a job as he could have done in one promo to try and make sense of the entire MJF feud and retcon it into something where he's the babyface and Max is the heel, while also doing a comeback babyface cheerleader promo. It was ruined by MJF doing his most by-the-numbers promo imaginable, and doing it as a video package - a pretaped video in response to an in-ring promo, and the guy in-ring having to try and interact with it as if it's live, always looks shit. They'd have been better off having Cole's promo open the show, and get a response from MJF later on.

Speaking of bad promos, fucking hell was Kyle Fletcher hitting every generic bullet point possible for a heel turn promo - "why Kyle why?", "you people", and not explaining why he turned? Fuck's sake. And did I miss Brian Cage joining the Callis Family? When did that happen?

There are two separate segments on this show where a babyface tag team is approached by a heel manager who is/has been looking to recruit them. I don't think the best way to get MVP over as a master manipulator and manager to the stars is to have him keep handing out his business card to people who actively don't want him representing them. And the Private Party/Bucks segment was a mess. The Young Bucks told them they'll never get another title shot, then Stokeley makes them agree that they'll break up if they lose another title match. So which is it?

No idea what they were playing at coming off that pay-per-view, and with the roster they have, involving Kip Sabian in a main event match.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's night and day between the good stuff and the bad stuff. If they could cut down on Jericho and shit like that then they'd have a really great show. Sadly we had to sit through a lot of rubbish last night.

Agree with this. 

Fucking Adam Cole. I reckon only "No Chance in Hell" hitting could fill me full of dread more than hearing his music. Retro-fitting the whole angle. Horrible stuff.

Jericho's shit but Mark Briscoe is good enough to keep this going. Would have been a nice time to put Big Bill over but can see why they didn't given Callis was gonna do his bit later.

Enjoyed seeing Shelton going. He's 49! It's madness. I'd like to see that acknowledged, personally, instead of Skiavone trotting out his college wrestling stats like they weren't in the last century. If they're going to acknowledge that none of these matches are new because they've all worked fucking indies, then acknowledge that Shelton is incredible for 49 but Rush has the youth and speed advantage.

I really like MVP stuff, the tie in to Swerve. I really hope he doesn't put his band back together and The Acclaimed turn and become part of his faction. The Acclaimed promo was really good. Little reminder that these two have plenty about them. It just doesn't excite.

I really liked the follow-up for Mox and crew too. Opening promo was outstanding. The beat downs were great. Andretti doing a handspring like an idiot and getting smashed in the back of the head by Mox probably wasn't supposed to be funny but I pissed myself. Silver chasing the car and the crowd genuinely laughing hard ruled too. Please use this to write a load of guys off for good.

Callis stuff was the best presentation of his "family" for a while. Nice to see them target the tag titles and Takeshita shine a bit. Fletcher was absolutely horrible but you can't have everything.

Didn't really watch the main, was just background noise but I like the Hangman/White marriage. Both guys are tremendous. Just wish they could make it feel bigger. As Pat says, involving Sabian takes it down many, many levels. Another guy who needs to go. 

Genuinely, I think my biggest problem on the show is The Elite. They're clearing setting up Kenny's return. Them standing and watching the beat down and then the backstage stuff is just odd. What are they? Perry going head to head with Garcia was good. Dunno about the rest. Dunno why Garcia needs to be making deals with some jobber team either. Their obsession with everyone being in some trio is stupid.

A positive show for me. I like the main direction and it had enough intrigue to make me look forward to the next show. I still think they're trending upwards, marginally.

• Paid Members

I thought the stuff with The Elite in the Trios match was at least interesting - there's a war for the soul and the future of AEW, and the EVPs want absolutely no part of it. That's an interesting wrinkle in that story, depending where it goes. Would have been happy if they'd stuck with that and not also done the promo about Kenny Omega and the Private Party angle with the Bucks on the same show.