AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

Love that Swerve posted this as soon as the Ricochet news broke. He’s got his fingers in every pie. Watching everything. And fuck the lot of them. My World Champ.

3 hours ago, no user name said:

I've heard that. He did well in njpw though didn't he? I think he could do well in aew as the fans are more into the wrestling than in wwe. I don't know to much about him but from what I have seen he very athletic and good in the ring. 

Athletic and good in the ring only gets you so far, especially in America. In an era where very few people did flips a guy like Ricochet would stand out. Now, every no-name indie guy can do flips so Ricochet needs something else to stand out, which he sadly doesn't seem to have. 

If Ricochet has given his notice, I'm hoping he's looking to do more of a Mustafa Ali/Nic Nemeth approach. AEW's got a glut of talent that can do similar things already and reliving the indy boom of 5-10 years isn't doing anyone much good at this point.

Presumably Richochet is leaving WWE because he's tired of being lost in the shuffle. Surely he doesn't want to go to AEW to get lost in the shuffle there too. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Vamp said:

Presumably Richochet is leaving WWE because he's tired of being lost in the shuffle. Surely he doesn't want to go to AEW to get lost in the shuffle there too. 

Hardly anyone works the same style as Ricochet in WWE. Getting more in NXT, but his adaptation to their house style didn’t work to his limitations. I think it’s less with the shuffle and more like with Bryan that he can finally wrestle people he wants to, though I’d happily have him as a free agent than a concrete hire at AEW.

Having finally caught up on the show, alongside neverending Jericho, I really don't want the return of the 15 minute MJF promo. The live crowds clearly love it and him but i've never warmed to him and the promos (and much of his presentation, especially the leather jacket and weirdly rich thing) themselves reek of a 14 year old's "cool" efed character. He jumps around so much from making weed jokes to listing achievements to being threatening to the lame nicknames to toe curling jibes at someone never getting women wet before suddenly claiming he respects someone and listing their accomplishments. It's like he's got a tick list of stuff good promos have and has to try and cram it all in to make sure he's covered all the bases. And then to top it off, he's then going toe to toe with poor Rush, who's been built as a savage nutcase but has just been thrown out there with a mic rather than just rushing the ring to stamp his face in and is now getting fed to MJF as his  return win, and ends in the standard pull apart brawl where they each take turns to jump over the security out there to separate them. It's back to where he was before the Adam Cole best buddy stuff, which made sense with the character and made him much more bearable. I forget who said it on here in the past but his promos are that horrible modern "promo battle" style ones that more often then not are just out to bury his opponent and wave his own willy rather than actually put them over or advance a storyline. I know it's only his 2nd proper promo since he's come back so I might be being a bit harsh (I'm also sad at what they've done to Rush) but, given what he's done in the past, I don't really have any interest in watching that every week. He also didn't mention Adam Cole or Undisputed Kingdon once - surely he'd want to go after them or they'd want to finish the job or revenge for him decking Cole at the PPV the other week? Roddy was in the main event challenging for the title he was screwed out of, why isn't he getting involved in that to ruin his shot?

On the plus side, I was relieved that Willow’s back already cutting another great promo. Looking forward to her feud with Stat and the team with Orange Cassidy. The Mariah Mays/Saraya match was pretty decent as well with that stalling DDT Saraya uses looking properly brutal. And of course, commentary japes were a highlight as always.

I know some people will say aew are just picking up more ex wwe guys but is they could get ricochet and becky lynch for all in that would be amazing. I don't think becky is very likely though. 

Edited by no user name

It'd be a tough ask for Lynch, who'd have to weigh up the trade off of having her husband put out cryptic tweets talking about letting the side down and doing funny laughs from inside one of the fourteen wardrobes in the dead of night. 

On 6/9/2024 at 8:53 PM, Snitsky's back acne said:

Athletic and good in the ring only gets you so far, especially in America. In an era where very few people did flips a guy like Ricochet would stand out. Now, every no-name indie guy can do flips so Ricochet needs something else to stand out, which he sadly doesn't seem to have. 

Athletic and good in the ring only gets you so far, especially in America. In an era (2002) where very few people did flips a guy like Amazing Red would stand out. Now, every no-name indie guy can do flips so Amazing Red needs something else to stand out, which he sadly doesn't seem to have. 

Ricochet would do just fine wherever he went. Do I think he'll become some sort of megastar and break the mould or whatever else? No. Although I thought talking was Ospreay's weak spot and he's been surprisingly good. So who knows what a change of scenery might do for Ricochet. You just never know. I think AEW undoubtedly already have a bunch of guys they should be focusing on at the top though.

I imagine he'll fit more into a Danielson role of just being happy to go out there and have genuinely decent matches with a whole bunch of talent. And that's fine. Sometimes you just want to remind people who you can be.

• Paid Members

If they try and push him as a top star he'll struggle, especially as there's no space for him and it'll take away TV time from people with more potential but there's probably room for him on Rampage or Collision which are sometimes lacking a bit of oomph.

They should ofcourse bring him in as Prince Puma. He was so much better in that role.

8 hours ago, Version1.0 said:

Athletic and good in the ring only gets you so far, especially in America. In an era (2002) where very few people did flips a guy like Amazing Red would stand out. Now, every no-name indie guy can do flips so Amazing Red needs something else to stand out, which he sadly doesn't seem to have. 

....cool ...but we are talking about Ricochet.

• Paid Members

yeah, Amazing Red is the kind of guy I'm amazed hasn't shown up just for a one-off to show him some love.

I'll be amazed if Ricochet ends up anywhere but AEW, but unless he's been hiding something - he's given me no reason to believe he is - I think he'll find a similar level to where he topped out in WWE; hovering around a secondary title, with the odd bigger match to give him a highlight reel high spot.

He's someone that wrestling kind of left behind - he was mind-blowing when he first started to break out on to bigger shows, but he's been in WWE for six years, and it's been eight years since the Ospreay NJPW match that got everyone talking. In that time, Will Ospreay has managed to evolve into a heavyweight with a much more aggressive and more focused style, as well as unexpectedly becoming a reliably great TV promo guy, and made himself one of the most talked about wrestlers in the world, while Ricochet became a face in the crowd in WWE, and the only real changes to his wrestling have been to make it more palatable for WWE TV.

On top of that, in the time Ricochet has been away from the independents, we've seen PAC transform himself into a hard-hitting powerhouse as much as he is a high-flyer. We've seen El Hijo del Vikingo do springboard inside out 630s, we've seen the Young Bucks and Lucha Bros on TV most weeks, the CMLL guys are showing up, there's high-flyers and dives up and down the card in AEW. On paper, it means Ricochet's a perfect fit for them, but it means there's not an awful lot he can do to stand out, and I think he's been surpassed in terms of being ahead of the curve in where that style of wrestling can go, and he doesn't strike me as someone who has a career reinvention in him.