US politics

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

14 minutes ago, Loki said:

Biden may be old, he may be infirm, but he at least acts like a President.

I guess that kind of sums up where we are at the moment. You don't need to actually be capable to hold office. The guy can hardly string a sentence together. And while Trump is a bona fide madman, I do find it quite funny that his mental capacity was called into question!

14 minutes ago, Loki said:

Edit: incidentally, I think it's not unlikely that NEITHER of Biden or Trump end up being the next President.  They're both VERY old, it's not an insignificant statistical possibility that a health complication will rule one or even both of them out some time in the next 12 months.

If Biden cops his whack during his term, why not just go all out on the "Weekend at Bernie's" approach? Have two bodyguards haul his body around and pretend he's waving and pointing. 

17 minutes ago, Loki said:

You know that Putin is praying every day for a second Trump term, it will probably hand him Ukraine.

In all seriousness though, the outcome of the Ukraine/Russia situation will more than likely result in Putin getting at least some of what he wants. Negotiations will have to take place.

I disagree with your physical assessment of Biden to be honest, I think you've been reading too much Turning Point USA.  He's always had a speech deficiency, and it's exacerbated by age, but I don't doubt his mental faculties.  I don't think this is a Mitch McConnell situation.

I do agree that he's been a weak President though, he's failed to tackle the rise of fascism in his own country, and got very little done whilst failing to build a secure platform for his party nationally.

On the broader point though, the US is this crazy gerontocracy.  The Democrats are an absolutely useless political party mainly because their leadership is so old.  All the energy and drive is with their younger, more leftwing members but that doesn't translate into political action because their leadership is still living in the cozy bipartisan era of the 80s that no longer exists.

The political deadlock in the US is the fault of both parties.  The GOP rode the crazy train to win elections, and now the crazy train controls the party at a roots, AND at a House level.  And the Democrats fail to play the same game as their counterparts and so end up losing the broad fights.  It's a broken system, and those generally lead to a collapse of government eventually - and often to a period of dictatorship.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Loki said:

do agree that he's been a weak President though, he's failed to tackle the rise of fascism in his own country, and got very little done

What's your opinion on Bidenomics? I'm not as read up on US politics as some of you but it sounds pretty good to me and I'm pleased governments across Europe seem to be adopting it.

Generally US politics terrifies me. We have some useless twats and fucking ghouls in our country but the sheer number and scale of genuinely evil and/or insane people at every level of right wing US politics who are actively working against improving their citizens lives never fails to shock me.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

I disagree with your physical assessment of Biden to be honest, I think you've been reading too much Turning Point USA.

I don't think I've ever seen that website.

I'm only going on what I've seen on television. If we're honest, he should be nowhere near the White House. Imagine if he was a regular guy? He'd be in a care home by now.

EDIT: This isn't an endorsement of Trump, by the way. The very fact he can stage some sort of return after he made a roaring arse of himself the last time and the only person capable of stopping him is a doddery 81-year-old really does tell us all we need to know about the state of American politics. 

Where's the new blood? Surely there has to be someone on the right side of 70 who is somewhat capable? I always liked the look of Andrew Yang, but I think we all knew he'd get nowhere. He's not part of the traditional political system and doesn't fall into the "left or right" and confrontational approach to modern politics.

Edited by David

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, David said:

I'm only going on what I've seen on television. If we're honest, he should be nowhere near the White House. Imagine if he was a regular guy? He'd be in a care home by now.

I disagree with that. I know the right try to make him look like he's brain dead but I've listened to multiple interviews of him this year (including one from last week) where he comes across as very sharp, intelligent and thoughtful.

But yes he and the rest of the US political elite are definitely far too old. I'm a fan of John Fetterman but even he's in his mid-50s with health problems.

Edited by LaGoosh

Just now, LaGoosh said:

I disagree with that. I know the right try to make him look like he's brain dead man but I've listened to multiple interviews of him this year (including one from last week) where he comes across as very sharp, intelligent and thoughtful.

But yes he and the rest of the US political elite are definitely far too old. I'm a fan of John Fetterman but even he's in his mid-50s with health problems.

Again, I'm not going on what people on television are saying. I'm going on what I see him saying, and how he acts. I don't think he is anywhere near competent enough to be near office just now, never mind running again. 

And that's not a "chortle chortle, look at old Joe" jibe, it's just me stating a fact. He's old. There's a reason why most people of that age aren't working. He should be enjoying his twilight years with his family and friends after a life of working. Not falling on national television and being laughed at. 

That’s something that shows up the whole “If it benefits my stance and beliefs, it’s valid” of those saying Biden is too old. Come the election, Trump will be the age Biden was when he won the election so surely that makes The Donald too old as well? 

17 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

That’s something that shows up the whole “If it benefits my stance and beliefs, it’s valid” of those saying Biden is too old. Come the election, Trump will be the age Biden was when he won the election so surely that makes The Donald too old as well? 

The Donald is ageless though. That guy has looked like he's 70 for the past 35 years.

But yes, he is too old. They need to get away from having people in their 70's and 80's running the country. 

Edited by David

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, David said:

But yes, he is too old. They need to get away from having people in their 70's and 80's running the country. 

This is the thing I never get about US politics. I get things like respecting your elders and valuing experience, but it makes no sense to me to have two blokes who would have been forced out of executive positions for being too old battling for the most important role in the country. Probably the world.

Beyond that, I'm not really bothered by US politics as long as college football doesn't get interrupted. Wrestling carrying on would be a bonus.

• Paid Members

They could also stand to have more women and people of colour running the country as well. To have one Irish Catholic and one black man, and 43 WASP males is a fairly shoddy ratio. (Not that the UK is much better - three women, one man of colour, one Jew [who didn't really consider himself Jewish] out of 56 is piss-poor as well.)

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Statto said:

as long as college football doesn't get interrupted.

The Supreme Court should rule on something sensible, like how did Alabama get into the final 4 ahead of Florida State. That's some corruption that needs some investigating. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Fat thumbed idiot

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The Supreme Court should rule on something sensible, like how did Alabama get into the final 4 ahead of Florida State. That's some corruption that needs some investigating. 

Strength of schedule.

15 hours ago, Carbomb said:

They could also stand to have more women and people of colour running the country as well.

Well, that depends on them being suitable candidates really. For example, I'd rather set fire to my own head than see Kamala Harris as President. But I'd have been really intrigued and excited to see Andrew Yang win the Presidency.