9 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Finally finished Cheers so I'll be starting Fraiser soon. I don't think I ever really had a comfort show but Cheers became that this year so hopefully Fraiser will take its place.

I’m really looking forward to hearing what you think. The first episode is a little weak, but after that, as the actors begin to discover their characters a bit more, it - for me - surpasses Cheers. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve rewatched Frasier; it never grows old for me. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

I’m really looking forward to hearing what you think. The first episode is a little weak, but after that, as the actors begin to discover their characters a bit more, it - for me - surpasses Cheers. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve rewatched Frasier; it never grows old for me. 

Oh that's surprising to hear. I think the first episode of Frasier is as good as you can get for a first episode of anything. It's fantastic.

• Paid Members

I saw bits when it was on channel 4 originally but don’t think I’d appreciate it being as young as I was. 

Fraiser in Cheers became one of my favourites by the end, I’m  30 years too late but I recommend Cheers if you haven’t watched it.

Funny seeing a couple of main characters in the Fraiser show appear as minor characters in Cheers interacting with Frasier. His dad was a different character in Cheers for one.

• Members
1 minute ago, Weezenal said:

I saw bits when it was on channel 4 originally but don’t think I’d appreciate it being as young as I was. 

Fraiser in Cheers became one of my favourites by the end, I’m  30 years too late but I recommend Cheers if you haven’t watched it.

Funny seeing a couple of main characters in the Fraiser show appear as minor characters in Cheers interacting with Frasier. His dad was a different character in Cheers for one.

What show is this?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

What show is this?

I want to say Cheers but I can't be sure.

Ted Danson and Woody Harrelson have started a podcast recently about whatever it's called. 

I always thought Cheers did an incredible job of dealing with losing Shelley Long from the show, five brilliant seasons, but if Long has stayed they were probably getting to 7 seasons at best with that story. Getting Kirsty Alley in and turning the show into an ensemble piece was a great idea.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Chili said:

I always thought Cheers did an incredible job of dealing with losing Shelley Long from the show, five brilliant seasons, but if Long has stayed they were probably getting to 7 seasons at best with that story. Getting Kirsty Alley in and turning the show into an ensemble piece was a great idea.

It was definitely getting a bit tiresome with Diane and Sam, then they lucked out with Woody after Coach passed too.

Just now, Weezenal said:

It was definitely getting a bit tiresome with Diane and Sam, then they lucked out with Woody after Coach passed too.

I think it's sometimes forgotten how absolutely brilliant Coach was. He's a tremendous character in his three seasons. Nicholas Colasanto (who also directed a few Columbo episodes) had fantastic timing even when the poor fella was slowly dying.

• Paid Members

56 minutes ago, Chili said:

I think it's sometimes forgotten how absolutely brilliant Coach was. He's a tremendous character in his three seasons. Nicholas Colasanto (who also directed a few Columbo episodes) had fantastic timing even when the poor fella was slowly dying.

Cheers is an absolute triumph of casting. Everyone is perfect, even replacements for beloved characters. 

Sam, Diane, Frasier, Carla, Coach, Woody, Cliff, Norm, Lilith. All sitcom hall of famers. Rebecca is a great character too, but probably didn't have the same impact. 

Just now, gmoney said:

Cheers is an absolute triumph of casting. Everyone is perfect, even replacements for beloved characters. 

Sam, Diane, Frasier, Carla, Coach, Woody, Cliff, Norm, Lilith. All sitcom hall of famers. Rebecca is a great character too, but probably didn't have the same impact. 

It's a niche thing to bring up but regarding Kirstie Alley, she is one of the absolute best comedy cryers ever, she makes crying hysterically funny. Always felt she had a ridiculously tough gig in Cheers.

• 2 months later...

First two episodes of season 2 down. If you didn't like the first then absolutely nothing here to change your mind. But I'll admit to enjoying how ridiculous it is. There aren't many characters that can get away with the farce quite like Frasier does, and it feels easier to enjoy knowing what to expect now.

I get why a lot of people might think it's shit but I can't help but still smile at it and that's enough for me. There's something quite homely about it.

My wife is desperate for Niles & Daphne to turn up at some point this series. I know David Hyde Pierce & Jane Leeves declined to come back the first time round, but they did a good job keeping the door open should they change their minds/get offered enough money. I don’t think the show needs them myself, but Niles was my wife’s favourite character on the original bu quite some distance. Had they come up with a way to do some kind of Niles spin-off she’d have been all in on it

The ham episode…that could easily have been a Frasier and Niles episode. You could easily have seen Niles deliver some of Alan’s lines in the episode, and it would have worked just fine. 

They’ve heavily hyped an episode in which Frasier returns to KACL this season, it would be very odd if he were to visit Seattle without visiting Niles and Daphne. Perhaps that’ll be referenced and not shown…but I’m hopeful that it’ll be a two-parter in which one or both of them will show up.