London recommendations

Tommy!

• Paid Members

I'm running the risk of being mugged or not appreciated and going to London in a few months.

I'm arriving at Euston and staying somewhere around hyde park to head to a concert at the Albert hall Saturday night, but will have Saturday day, Sunday and perhaps a little of Monday to plan a good beer and pub run. So before I start researching and planning, and while I wait for this year's GBG, knowing there's a few people from somewhere in London on here I thought I'd ask for any recommendations as a starting point to plan around.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I'm running the risk of being mugged or not appreciated and going to London in a few months.

I'm arriving at Euston and staying somewhere around hyde park to head to a concert at the Albert hall Saturday night, but will have Saturday day, Sunday and perhaps a little of Monday to plan a good beer and pub run. So before I start researching and planning, and while I wait for this year's GBG, knowing there's a few people from somewhere in London on here I thought I'd ask for any recommendations as a starting point to plan around.

Soho. Soho has some funky bars, old pubs and things like Barcades/ Bar Arcades I dunno what the kids call them. And everything is in a small radius as well.

17 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Soho. Soho has some funky bars, old pubs and things like Barcades/ Bar Arcades I dunno what the kids call them. And everything is in a small radius as well.

Yeah Greek St, Frith St, Soho St and Dean St are all connected by Soho Sq and have a fuck ton of bars, some nice some not so but lots are unique.

For food I usually just go to Gerrard St.

You could always pick up some last minute tickets to a show at the theatre. For matinees you'll be able to pick up something for under £30. But if you arrive midday Saturday that could be tough unless you see Harry Potter on the Sunday.

• Paid Members

You may not want to head to South Kensington for your entire weekend, but the Science Museum, Natural History Museum, and V&A are all by South Ken, not far from the Albert Hall.

Could also head to Chinatown - it's a quick jaunt down the Piccadilly line from Hyde Park Corner to Leicester Square. It's hella crowded nowadays, but you still get the best and most wide-ranging Chinese food in the UK. 

Soho is absolutely shit. And full of tourists.

So is Southbank, but at least it has a great food and drink market on the weekends. 

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/visit/cafes-restaurants-bars/scfood-market

Also includes this place @Tommy! https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/visit/cafes-restaurants-bars/hop-locker which has the sort of 15% pints you can only buy in halves, and you can stand/sit by the river, and I know you like a bar.

Afterwards you could always walk down the cut towards Southwark where again, there are some really great pubs with a nice atmosphere, my favourite being The Kings Arms on Roupell Street, or The Anchor and Hope just round the corner.

Borough Market as well is worth a visit, and Spitalfields Market as well (if you can be arsed to get over that way)

I really like markets as you can see. 

Failing that, just go in that big Brewdog and call everyone a cunt, or go to Camden and sniff some glue. Camden does actually have one of my favourite pubs, World's End, which I believe has the longest bar in England or something. 

Have fun! Don't get stabbed.

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

If you fancy an exhibition at the V&A, I can walk you right in so you don’t have to pay. 

Take this to the Hip-Hop thread please

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

I’m sorry, you’ve lost me. 

It rhymed.

• Paid Members

London recommendations

Go to London, I guarantee you'll be...

14 hours ago, Tommy! said:

mugged or not appreciated

... oh, never mind.

And while I'm on the topic, the highlight of my first non-football trip to London was seeing one of these, Sonja's voice ringing in my ears ;

AF1QipMdtPL9noRgHf2lx4eN-uBh87bLTaeofad-

15 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Yeah Greek St, Frith St, Soho St and Dean St are all connected by Soho Sq and have a fuck ton of bars, some nice some not so but lots are unique.

A friend shared this mnemonic to remember the order of the roads in Soho heading West from Charing Cross road:

Going For Dinner With Billie Piper

Greek St
Frith St
Dean St
Wardour St
Berwick St
Poland St

Pretty useless, but still. Wingmans is where it’s at in Soho. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Going For Dinner With Billie Piper

...... are we still quoting Partridge? That's a pitch to Tony Hayers if ever I heard one.