AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Was there any reason why they stopped before? Or did it just become too much effort? I can't remember.

I don’t think the rankings took opponent quality into account, meaning defeating Danhausen four weeks in a row would be treated as equivalent to another wrestler defeating MJF, Moxley, Danielson and Omega on consecutive weeks. It became a flawed system I guess, and you’d see some really random names with high rankings.

16 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Was there any reason why they stopped before? Or did it just become too much effort? I can't remember.

Dropped after Brawl Out when the World and Trios titles were vacated. Don't think we ever saw Trios rankings and I would have liked to have seen the attempt to poke holes in it.

10 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I don’t think the rankings took opponent quality into account, meaning defeating Danhausen four weeks in a row would be treated as equivalent to another wrestler defeating MJF, Moxley, Danielson and Omega on consecutive weeks. It became a flawed system I guess, and you’d see some really random names with high rankings.

Quality of opponent was factored in. That's why those racking up wins on Dark weren't necessarily making the Top 5, They'd become a joke even before Brawl Out with FTR as #1 contenders in the tag ranks for months with no title shot.

April 6th 2022-August 31st 2022 when they stopped the rankings. Started that as the AAA/ROH Tag champions and would win the IWGP. Wouldn't be until October they were in a #1 Contender match.

Edited by Infinity Land

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm pretty sure they actually did take opponent quality into account. At the time some people moaned they didn't make sense because say Jungle Boy had more wins than Moxley but Mox was number 1 and Perry wasn't ranked but it was specifically because Mox was besting stars and Perry was besting jobbers. Or Wardlow would be smashing people every week but was still not in ranking contention for ages until he started beating real stars.

Just now, Infinity Land said:

Quality of opponent was factored in. That's why those racking up wins on Dark weren't necessarily making the Top 5, They'd become a joke even before Brawl Out with FTR as #1 contenders in the tag ranks for months with no title shot.

The entire basis of a storyline was that Britt Baker wanted to challenge for a title, so she ran off to Dark and Elevation for a bit to rack up some wins. You also had weeks where people like Scorpio Sky and Jay Lethal were ranked higher than Hangman, Omega, Punk and Danielson. If someone wrestled a lot, you ended up being placed in a position that wasn’t reflective of their position on the roster - if they did take quality into account, it didn’t end up working in practice. 

36 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

The entire basis of a storyline was that Britt Baker wanted to challenge for a title, so she ran off to Dark and Elevation for a bit to rack up some wins. You also had weeks where people like Scorpio Sky and Jay Lethal were ranked higher than Hangman, Omega, Punk and Danielson. If someone wrestled a lot, you ended up being placed in a position that wasn’t reflective of their position on the roster - if they did take quality into account, it didn’t end up working in practice. 

It's a gimmicked list at the whims of one guy's head canon. It's a given that it won't work in practice. I'm happy enough for them to return, but its going to lead to the same debating that killed them off.

Paper tigers get elevated so they can be TV defenses, or knocked off by someone else to be considered a quality win. If they even get that kind of pay-off.

A gimmick like Britt working her way up the rankings to a title shot, ignoring other wrestlers getting more wins during the same time period.

Or remember when Punk debuted and started racking up wins. Yet was never ranked. Having gone 8-0 in 2021 the end of year men's singles rankings ended up looking like this:

94b54e_9ffa680a00424faf9174158ae8f87c62~

Scorpio Sky never having a Dynamite/Rampage singles win the entire year. He won the Face of the Revolution Ladder match, lost the title shot. Then it was MOTY and Dark/Elevation.

3 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

It's a gimmicked list at the whims of one guy's head canon. It's a given that it won't work in practice. I'm happy enough for them to return, but its going to lead to the same debating that killed them off.

Did they ever really matter anyway? I may be misremembering, but I’m sure I remember FTR complaining about being number 1 contenders for an extended period of time, yet receiving no title shot. 

Personally, I think it over-complicates things at a time when AEW could do with making things more straightforward. But perhaps the continental classic has been a learning process for Khan, and he’s figured out a way of making it more interesting and workable. 

Bullet Club Gold were the hottest heel group in AEW a few months ago. Jay White was challenging for the World title. 

the Acclaimed were a hugely over comedy mid card act a few months ago. 

Now they have merged for seemingly no reason and called - the "Bang Bang Scissor Gang" 

This is 2019 Vince levels of shite

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

if they did take quality into account, it didn’t end up working in practice

Well yeah ofcourse, it'll never really work. The rankings and any "real sports" stuff can never work properly in wrestling long term because wrestling is too bonkers. But if used as a storytelling device it has value and like all good storytelling devices in wrestling it should be used when appropriate and basically ignored when it's not.

1 hour ago, Daddymagic said:

Now they have merged for seemingly no reason and called - the "Bang Bang Scissor Gang" 

They merged because they were both targets of the Undisputed Kingdom. Strength in numbers and a common enemy. Additionally you have the history of Billy/The Gunns/Acclaimed being formerly aligned. If you don't like it that's fine but the story here is totally logical.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Did they ever really matter anyway? I may be misremembering, but I’m sure I remember FTR complaining about being number 1 contenders for an extended period of time, yet receiving no title shot. 

Personally, I think it over-complicates things at a time when AEW could do with making things more straightforward. But perhaps the continental classic has been a learning process for Khan, and he’s figured out a way of making it more interesting and workable. 

I think i'd rather the attempt to overcomplicate things so there's something hold to account. We've seen what it's like without them, and i'm curious to see how they handle things now they don't have Dark/Elevation to hide behind.

Straight forward has been pretty miserable at times with many random win on Rampage = title shot the next week. What feels like it should be called the Skye Blue Special.

1 hour ago, Daddymagic said:

Bullet Club Gold were the hottest heel group in AEW a few months ago. Jay White was challenging for the World title. 

the Acclaimed were a hugely over comedy mid card act a few months ago. 

Harsh! The Acclaimed's patter can be heated up at any time, Bullet Club Gold's most entertaining mouthpiece got injured, and I don't think Jay stepping up to MJF really set the imaginations of the AEW audience alight. 

Chucking them all into a feel good thing the crowd are seemingly begging for seems like a smart idea to me. Incoming boom period for the shit merch thread!

Another really easy watch this week. The arena configuration rocked too. Lower bowls were quite...low...so they could ring the audience around the building better and get it lit up, and they were loud! 

AEW's very...pleasant...at the moment. Remains to be seen how it all plays out but if you were basing it on current output alone, the whole "AEW is so frustrating right now!" subgenre of YouTube videos/news pieces that have cropped up don't really hold much truck. They deserve credit for that. Just have D-Bry call your owner into a disciplinary about his online activities. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

4 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

The champions were highlighted as they couldn't/wouldn't be ranked. The rankings whenever they were used were only applied to the World Titles. The TNT/TBS were seen as open challenge titles and the All-Atlantic was so new it never really factored in before the rankings were scrapped. PAC disappeared to the UK after winning it and only came back at All Out. 

From what I've seen the "open challenge" has always been at the discretion of the wrestler. In fact I don't think anything you've said has ever been made official on tv and it's all presumption.

The way the above graphic is made implies you rank for a shot at any title, and the fact holding a lesser title effectively removes you from the rankings implies that also. After all, if the rankings are only for the World Title, why would winning the TNT title remove you? Surely that should move you UP the rankings.

Finally, I remember distinctly (although we knew it was bullshit) was that the TNT title was even with the world title. Though that was likely Cody Rhodes telling himself that to make him feel better about it all.

However it's all irrelevant really. Regardless of whose right or wrong here, it's actually a failing on AEW part because it is SO unclear. We really shouldn't be this disagreeing on this as their fans. 

Ultimately I HATE titles with very little distinction. If the return helps clarify each belts role that'll be fantastic.

Continental Crown: Inter promotional championship. Can be challenged by non contracted talent from North America only.

International: Special touring champion. Send Orange to the UK and Australia occasionally. Or fly them over to the states.

TNT: The top 20 AEW contracted guys can challenge.

AEW: The top 5 AEW contracted guys can challenge. 

Just... SOMETHING to distinguish these belts.

• Awards Moderator

The best part of this show was probably the recap of Joe vs Hook, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good Collision.

Edge vs Dante was the best Cope Open match so far, mainly because he was against an AEW regular rather than an ROH guy*. They made it clear that it’s an open challenge for young guys to go against a veteran too, which works.**

Six man cage match next week should be good.

Claudio wearing Misawa green and white when he’s facing Eddie in his Kawada black and yellow.

*I know Griff and Moriarty have been in AEW forever but it’s been years since they featured properly in any way

**except they then announced he’s going against Minoru Suzuki on Wednesday, so maybe not. Should be a cracking match though - the sort of thing you want to see now Copeland is in a non-WWE environment

Edited by HarmonicGenerator