AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Some of this could still happen, but starting this angle off with - at best - a whimper seems like a bizarre decision.

It’s because of the premise of them challenging ‘young teams who have never really had the opportunities’.

No. Don’t do that. You’re the champions, challenge people that are good and we care about. 

There's lot of problems with last night's Collision. Even the good like Statlander v. Baker is dimished by the fact it had a build of less than 24 hours after only being announced the Rampage before. That should be a marquee match and a selling point.

My main takeaway is that ROH genuinely needs binned. They've had a chance of creating its own thing, and it's failed. Remember when Tony Khan "listened to fans" around this time last year and basically pulled ROH from AEW tv. Well tonight we had what was basically an introduction to The Righteous, who used their promo time on the ROH tag titles.

Hungbucks v. Mogul Embassy accepted for Grand Slam. Guess that keeps the Hangman v. Swerve feud ticking over. Why was there any need for it be for the ROH 6-man titles?

Eddie and Claudio as a grudge doesn't need the ROH World Title. Hell, they've barely focused on it with all the references being about their shared past.

Samoa Joe as World TV champion is just a prop.

And the more frustrating aspect of all that. All the champions are getting some shine AEW shine while Athena is paywalled on HonorClub.

4 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

My main takeaway is that ROH genuinely needs binned. They've had a chance of creating its own thing, and it's failed. Remember when Tony Khan "listened to fans" around this time last year and basically pulled ROH from AEW tv. Well tonight we had what was basically an introduction to The Righteous, who used their promo time on the ROH tag titles.

God, I’d *already* forgotten about that Righteous promo.

Absolute rubbish. And, worst, exactly the sort of spooky boy rubbish we’ve heard a thousand times before.

The crowd genuinely seemed annoyed at that point at the amount of shit they didn’t care about or want to see being presented to them.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

John Silver vs Anthony Bowens isn’t the draw you might think it is. The same way Grandmaster Sexay vs D-Von Dudley or Doug Basham vs Albert wouldn’t be.

I said it was a good match, but then I watch for content not names. I don’t give a shit who’s fighting who if the match is entertaining or it’s leading up a story.

@RedRoosteryour post says more about your opinion than anything. I thought Statlander had a cracker with Jade on Rampage and thought the booking of this match was better. I get people fast forward through Raw or Smackdown or Dynamite, I understand why. But just turn it off half way through is ridiculous.

Collision was supposed to be the show where new stars were built. So they bring in The Righteous and they get a big win. the Workhorsemen were one of the best things on Dark, nice to see them to get a chance on TV.  Scorpio Sky back with another good match against Andrade.

So content wise it was a good show, even if weirdly paced in that first hour (and while Take 22 shouldn’t have happened, then taking the piss out of it later on did make me laugh). This felt the most Collision like episode since Punks gone.

5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@RedRoosteryour post says more about your opinion than anything. I thought Statlander had a cracker with Jade on Rampage and thought the booking of this match was better. I get people fast forward through Raw or Smackdown or Dynamite, I understand why. But just turn it off half way through is ridiculous.

Not at all, why should anyone stick with a two hour show if they’ve not enjoyed the first hour? They’re not doing me a favour, that I’m ungraciously slapping back. Plus, post-Punk, Collision hasn’t been brilliant. If there’s something worth watching, I can catch it on YouTube.

5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Collision was supposed to be the show where new stars were built. So they bring in The Righteous and they get a big win. the Workhorsemen were one of the best things on Dark, nice to see them to get a chance on TV.  Scorpio Sky back with another good match against Andrade.

Says who? Its whole reason for being was to give CM Punk somewhere to live where he wouldn’t get into fights all the time. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Not at all, why should anyone stick with a two hour show if they’ve not enjoyed the first hour? They’re not doing me a favour, that I’m ungraciously slapping back. Plus, post-Punk, Collision hasn’t been brilliant. If there’s something worth watching, I can catch it on YouTube.

Says who? Its whole reason for being was to give CM Punk somewhere to live where he wouldn’t get into fights all the time. 

It was its own island, so the people who didn’t want to be on dynamite for various reasons had its own show, almost with an exclusive roster. Very few talent on Collision worked Dynamite/Rampage at the beginning.

Also as to the switching off comment, WWE shows are very easy to fast forward through, especially Raw,  but I don’t turn off if I know I want to see the main event, or I want to catch a promo segment for example, I just skip through it instead.

17 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It was its own island, so the people who didn’t want to be on dynamite for various reasons had its own show, almost with an exclusive roster. Very few talent on Collision worked Dynamite/Rampage at the beginning.

They were pretty much all veterans though, and not exciting new talent - Miro, Andrade, House of Black, Punk, Samoa Joe, Starks, FTR and Scorpio Sky - for example. It wasn’t exactly a young, hungry alternative. But it was generally fun. 

17 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Also as to the switching off comment, WWE shows are very easy to fast forward through, especially Raw,  but I don’t turn off if I know I want to see the main event, or I want to catch a promo segment for example, I just skip through it instead.

Well yeah, but for that to work there has to be something advertised that you want to see. Nothing being trailed for the second hour appealed to me. 

Meh. Fuck you guys, I enjoyed it.

The take 22 botch is at least an amusing botch. 

Strong main event. 

Iron Savages is the kind of goofy, midcard gimmick I love. 

Workhorsemen can get in the bin, though. 

I liked The Righteous. Putting over up and coming teams is probably the best use of The Hardys, now.

Aussie Open are slowly starting to win me over.

Strong promo from Kingston. 

• Paid Members

Probably the most boring episode of AEW TV ever.

Nothing was particularly bad. But we've been given no reason at all to care about Iron Savages, Workhorsemen, Andrade, Scorpio or The Righteous at all. And this is coming from someone who watches ROH.

If I'd paid for tickets to that show I'd feel ripped off, and it's rare I feel like that for an AEW show.

Danielson loses too much in AEW. Starks win was meant to feel like a big upset but just didnt. 

The closing stretch of Statlander/Baker was good though. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Next time you see someone trying to play the Super Cena card, remind them about the episode of Collision where Kris Statlander took a Canadian Destroyer followed immediately by an Angel’s Wings followed immediately by a Curb Stomp and still kicked out at 2. 
Fuck that shit.

I feel like this sort of shite is fairly common nowadays across all wrestling and the Canadian Destroyer has been a transition move for a depressingly long time however if you want to give something like this logic you could always think of it as a) Statlander is so TOUGH that she can take all those moves and still kick out or b) Britt Baker is such a crap wrestler that she does all those killer moves so badly that they don't have the effect they would on an opponent if someone good did them.

Edited by LaGoosh

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I feel like this sort of shite is fairly common nowadays across all wrestling and the Canadian Destroyer has been a transition move for a depressingly long time however if you want to give something like this logic you could always think of it as a) Statlander is so TOUGH that she can take all those moves and still kick out or b) Britt Baker is such a crap wrestler that she does all those killer moves so badly that they don't have the effect they would on an opponent if someone good did them.

I'm quick to mock stupid segments that undermine wrestling. Orange Cassidy, however much I like him, did one recently with dualling destroyers that looked absolute garbage. That said, in this instance, after the destroyer Statlander was obviously selling knocked out - the momentum sent her to her feet, sure, but she was out on her feet and Britt quickly grabbed her. There was no real air between the moves where you could argue they were no-selling, which seems to have become the dominant conversation.

In terms of kicking out, Statlander's gimmick is tough and she's bigger than Britt. I've got no beef with it really, considering the vast amount of finisher kickouts there are now across all the feds.