AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

21 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Yep.

Heartbreakingly, you were bang on.

Combined across 2 items, he was their biggest merch seller last month (https://nodq.com/news/cm-punk-was-aews-top-merchandise-seller-for-the-month-of-june-2023/) and can still clearly go.. they have to work it out, don’t they?

It’s interesting to see how fans react, over time, if the situation continues. Obviously, none of us really know what’s happened, but based on the internet facts we do have, a lot of people took the other side based on arguments about the modern working place etc… given that freezing out is very, very uncool in the modern workplace, you wonder if it changes peoples minds at all. Or whether the dye has been cast and he’s the bad guy forever, even if he himself is willing to work with others.

Who knows, it’s a fucking shame though. When the camera panned wide on Ricky Starks entrance and you could just see a whole half of the arena was empty, it was absolutely gutting. Just a dead, C-list show, out to seed on Saturday night.

16 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Combined across 2 items, he was their biggest merch seller last month (https://nodq.com/news/cm-punk-was-aews-top-merchandise-seller-for-the-month-of-june-2023/) and can still clearly go.. they have to work it out, don’t they?

Was there not only about a week left of June when he returned as well? Whether people like him or hate him, it’s crazy to think there were people on here telling everyone he wasn’t a draw.

Punk seems open to working with The Elite which is what needs done. They need to grow up and get over themselves so that they can let their biggest draw help the company.

Just now, King Coconut said:

Currently. 

I’m not aware of any incidence of Punk refusing to work with people, certainly not when it’d do business.

This whole picking sides thing is juvenile. And people revelling in it need to sort themselves out. Someone had a sign last night which said ‘CRY MORE PUNK’ - has he cried? I’m not sure he has. Yet him offering to work with others is to be laughed at, as people celebrate him being punished? It’s almost like a Twitter pile-on, but in real life, where people just revel in their own ability to up the ante of cruelty. ‘Haha, rot you bastard’

It’s genuinely mad. He’s an asset. He should be with the other assets. They’re grown ups. Everyone was punished to some degree, now get on with it.

Or, have some bottle and pay him off. Creating this turgid Saturday night hell isn’t useful to anyone.

Which I guess is the worst part of Collision, there’s this unmistakeable feeling that you needn’t bother getting invested in it as it won’t be around for very long.

5 minutes ago, FUM said:

Punk seems open to working with The Elite which is what needs done. They need to grow up and get over themselves so that they can let their biggest draw help the company.

As much as I like Punk, this has all been from his side. "Hey I've reached out" and "Yes I'd work Wednesdays" etc.

I agree that they all need to grow up and get over it as I would love to see those matches, but Punk is amazingly good at telling his side of the story and presenting that as the only side.

Most of the pros and cons remain the same from the previous weeks.

On the women's division front i'm basically giving up at this point. They've had two late pulls recently with Britt Baker v. Ruby Soho and Athena v. Willow Nightingale. The fact they could only scramble for a couple of squash matches, just reinforces the fact they've never bothered to expand beyond the one match a show.

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

As much as I like Punk, this has all been from his side. "Hey I've reached out" and "Yes I'd work Wednesdays" etc.

I agree that they all need to grow up and get over it as I would love to see those matches, but Punk is amazingly good at telling his side of the story and presenting that as the only side.

I mean no one ever knows what’s really going on, but Fightful confirmed a story that he’d offered to work Blood and Guts and Mox was happy to oblige, but conversations didn’t move past that.

Like, we have to take these stories at face value, as that’s all anyone has to work on. But it seems as legit as anything else we’ve read that he wants back on the big show.

https://wrestletalk.com/news/cm-punk-pitched-added-blood-guts/

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

40 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

This whole picking sides thing is juvenile. And people revelling in it need to sort themselves out. Someone had a sign last night which said ‘CRY MORE PUNK’ - has he cried? I’m not sure he has. Yet him offering to work with others is to be laughed at, as people celebrate him being punished? It’s almost like a Twitter pile-on, but in real life, where people just revel in their own ability to up the ante of cruelty. ‘Haha, rot you bastard’

Whilst I 100% agree with you in that Punk should be mixing it up with the big boys, including The Elite, on Wednesdays, I'm not sure you can characterise him being given a whole show where he is essentially the main character and, at least so far, the other people in the main event spots are all linked to Punk in some way, as cruel. Clearly, The Elite can be in the same building as him - as they were at Forbidden Door, and will be at Wembley, and, I assume, at all PPVs. So, I'm not sure it can really be described as a situation where Punk is being punished. If you recall from right after Brawl Out, all the reportage said that everybody - Punk included - thought he was getting fired. Instead, he's been given an entire show, built around him and he's name dropping the head of WBD in promos to show just how important he must be (One Bil Phil).

I mean no one ever knows what’s really going on, but Fightful confirmed a story that he’d offered to work Blood and Guts and Mox was happy to oblige, but conversations didn’t move past that.

Which would be an almost WCW-level waste of Punk vs The Elite. No on TV build, in the ring with all of The Elite as a mystery partner of the BCC? Awful. There's potentially months and months of angles, promos and matches you could run with Punk vs The Elite. The first time Punk and The Elite are in the ring together can only happen once, and it'll be great, but Blood and Guts ain't the place to do it.

Edited by 69MeDon

It’s not necessarily a punishment, but it’s definitely a shitty compromise solution and everyone who says otherwise is being facetious.

Whether they work the main shows together or not - was there some odd story about separate sides of the building before? - this is wrestling Siberia. 

This show will continue to decline and won’t exist in a few months, and people will say Punk is a waste of time.

And, that’s fine. But the Saturday show would be on the same trajectory if you replaced Punk with Omega or Moxley or Bryan or whoever else.

The company need their big stars together, everything else is just wasting people’s time.

But yeah, I suspect when the show dies we will hear people say ‘he got his own show, what more can we do? No one’s interested in him anymore’ …ignoring the fact that the slot is death, and the rest of the show was Andretti, Poundland Scarlett Bordeaux and Scorpio Sky.

5 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It’s not necessarily a punishment, but it’s definitely a shitty compromise solution and everyone who says otherwise is being facetious.

It is a shitty compromise situation. But I can definitely understand some people's urge to be like "yeah, and who's fault is that?"

You're quite right, though. You can't expect Punk alone to carry two hours of television every week to a good rating.

Edited by 69MeDon

6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

The sooner they build Collision around Big Bill the better chance this show has of succeeding.

Sadist. We’ve already lost Punk to this rubbish, we can’t lose an actual star as well.

Opening was.... Weird. 

Punk/Joe was really good. Hope Joe is a permanent addition to Collision. 

FTR/BCC was excellent. 

Julia match was a nothing match and I can only assume that Scorpio went more than 60 seconds with that scrub Andretti was to make up time after losing Williow/Athena. 

Fucking hell though if Miro's stuff is his own idea then Sniff was correct to keep him off TV.

Anyway decent enough two hours of TV for me. 

Is there something going on with Wardlow?  Isn't this like the second time he's suddenly dropped the TNT Title and vanished off of TV?