Emergency Alert test: Sunday, 23rd April

I know it won't be news to most of you here that deafening sirens are expected to sound from mobiles nationwide at 3pm this Sunday, and you probably reckon it's not threadworthy, whatever that means.

But one aspect of the test that I think hasn't (yet) received enough attention is that people living in situations of domestic abuse could easily have their hidden phones discovered if they haven't taken the necessary precaution, which isn't simply putting the phone on silent.

Giffgaff's email to customers included a link to this video by the Refuge charity, showing how to specifically disable emergency alerts, and I hope the information reaches a lot more people who need it. I recall that a member here knew someone going through circumstances that may be relevant, but I forget who it was and whether any resolution occurred.

Unfortunately I think it's inevitable that no matter how well publicised the warning is, some victims are going to be caught out and suffer grim consequences. We can at least do our bit to try and limit the numbers though.

(Oh yeah, and it could be a bad day for people cheating on their partners using a second phone, but I'm sure that doesn't apply to the fine folk of the UKFF.)

On 4/18/2023 at 8:43 PM, Uncle Zeb said:

I know it won't be news to most of you here that deafening sirens are expected to sound from mobiles nationwide at 3pm this Sunday, and you probably reckon it's not threadworthy, whatever that means.

But one aspect of the test that I think hasn't (yet) received enough attention is that people living in situations of domestic abuse could easily have their hidden phones discovered if they haven't taken the necessary precaution, which isn't simply putting the phone on silent.

Giffgaff's email to customers included a link to this video by the Refuge charity, showing how to specifically disable emergency alerts, and I hope the information reaches a lot more people who need it. I recall that a member here knew someone going through circumstances that may be relevant, but I forget who it was and whether any resolution occurred.

Unfortunately I think it's inevitable that no matter how well publicised the warning is, some victims are going to be caught out and suffer grim consequences. We can at least do our bit to try and limit the numbers though.

(Oh yeah, and it could be a bad day for people cheating on their partners using a second phone, but I'm sure that doesn't apply to the fine folk of the UKFF.)

I had no idea this was true. Saw someone posting it online and immediately thought of my gullible auntie and…

3 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Isn't Drybanter the 18 year old Dutch defender that Levy wants to sign from TOP Oss? Wants to buy him for £500k and sell him in 4 years for £20 million having loaned him out for the first year to Oud-Heverlee Leuven. 

33 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Bring back downvotes.

I think if used right, this is a good thing to have. Don’t they do this sort of thing in the US when a child goes missing or tornadoes are inbound?  Personally I’d like alerts as to when Pringles are on offer and in what supermarket. No one else though, just me. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, it is a good idea in theory, but I just don't know what this government can do with it. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Don’t they do this sort of thing in the US when a child goes missing

One of the options in the alert settings is amber alerts for missing children.

13 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Also, wasn't very loud was it?

I was in the garden with a podcast on and completely missed it and the phone wasn't far away, so I'm assuming it wasn't that loud if its being drowned out by a dry history podcast.