The Goal of the Day Thread

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

I have a fascination with games where the same player scores two brilliant goals in different ways. Excluding ineligible Spurs ones, I'll always have fond memories of watching this one in the pub, of Rooney's first season at Man United (where he'd already graced us with a fairly impressive hat trick against Fenerbahce on his debut, for Christ's sake). The volley is the one that everyone remembers and plays, but its sometimes forgotten that its ten minutes after a superb chip which we'd only just stopped muttering "that was a nice finish, wasn't it?" about.

You can skip to 25 seconds if you don't need to see John O'Shea also scoring.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Just for our Fatty.

Obviously it'd be against the rules for me to post it as a Norwich fan, but the volley against Leeds 2 months before this one was even nicer, IMO.

• Paid Members

I don't think this has been posted yet but it's the first time I've seen live footage of it outside of retrospectives. Teek a Boo, Jimmy Glass.

Edited by seph

• Paid Members

After already scoring four, Super Mario sportingly decided to handicap by only allowing himself to shoot after six stepovers, rabonas only. Didn't work.

He actually scored a 6th not long after, but got the ref to rule it out because it didn't go bar, post, post then in!

• Awards Moderator

Gorgeous. Overseas commentary always makes a goal sound better.

I mean, they could have been saying ‘I’ve just bought my Nan a cheesegrater and her neighbour shot a priest’, but it’ll land better on the ears than Steve McManaming talking about that time he nutmegged Richard Shaw.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Gorgeous. Overseas commentary always makes a goal sound better.

I mean, they could have been saying ‘I’ve just bought my Nan a cheesegrater and her neighbour shot a priest’, but it’ll land better on the ears than Steve McManaming talking about that time he nutmegged Richard Shaw.

I think one of the reasons I watch way more overseas football these days is because of the commentary. Can only barely understand what they're saying, but South American commentary is always so fun to listen to especially. Middle Eastern commentary is excellent as well, they make every pass sound like an event.

• Paid Members

Claudio Lopez v PSV. I've seen loads of volleys fly into the net in a more pleasing aesthetic manner than this, from harder angles and further out etc, but the exquisite technique and timing to even meet the ball at all here, let alone to catch it perfectly, puts it up there with the best volleys for me. An absolute Lovejoy.