Playing wrestling at school

simonworden

Inspired by Air Raid's tale in the Mania thread I was wondering what people's schoolyard wrestling memories are. 

During the height of the WWF attitude craze at school we managed to concuss one of the smaller lads in an impromptu 6 man tag. Fairly sure it was some sort of crap doomsday device that did it. Poor guy sat out for the rest of the lunch break and then during maths responded "window" to a question from the teacher. Not very proud of that one.

A year or so later a couple of mates managed to create a welt the size of a golf ball on another's head from a dropkick involving a wet floor signs. 

Another time in sixth form we had the room to ourselves and my mate decide to fully sell an Irish whip crushing my lockeroom door beyond repair. No idea how I never got stung for the bill there but upon reflection I get why I didn't have many girlfriends. 

Just to state again, not particularly proud of any of these incidents looking back as an adult!

I used to have one of those mates who was really just a bully that liked the stuff in your house, and he'd call around the odd time and we'd work spots together upstairs. One time he told me for about a week leading up to it "We're going to have a first blood match this Friday after school". He was more than happy to take a beating too, but he was twice my size and about four times stronger so I knew I needed an escape plan. And so - at the age of about ten - I bladed myself in the bathroom before he came - a nick across my finger - and covered it up with a plaster so that when the match got a bit much, the plaster got lost in the melee and I 'bled'. Thick fucker bought it, and all. 

There was definitely a 3D and Last Ride on the school tables, though thankfully I wasn't on the receiving end of those. 

We were still young enough that when the WWE's imposter nWo faction came in, a few of us wrote it across our knuckles. 

Another thing after school was doing the entrances using the WWF Vol. 5 CD, air freshener being sprayed all over the place whilst someone flashed the lights in the bedroom on and off as quickly as possible to simulate pyro. I always used Lita's theme for some reason, I remember that. I used to also do Mankind's "Ahhhdyeah!" vocalisations when mixing it up. 

We also had the token habitual liar who would stay up to watch the PPVs and come in saying all sorts of crazy shit like Ken Shamrock came back at the 2001 Rumble, and that the new entranceway was like a drawbridge going over water. 

Really good days, despite the odd bit of gateway bullying it inspired. I'm sure it's the same for a lot of kids now but it's insane to think about how cool and ordinary being massively into wrestling was. You talked about it all day, watched it in each others houses etc. It wasn't just a show, it pretty much informed our language in the classroom. It's because of JR that I got good marks for having words like 'heinous' show up in my essays. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

he'd call around the odd time and we'd work spots together upstairs

Check out young lou thesz here.

I got a shit 3D onto a flimsy meatal table in one of the music storage rooms. It wasn't as strong as the people who wanted to do it thought and buckled under me one side. 

Why they had a stainless sheet table in the music department I don't know. It was slightly too low to sit at too.

Apart from that some lad gave me an F5 on the field which looking back was impressive because I doubt I helped much and was a fatty.

• Paid Members

Got knocked out during a discussion about some friends watching 90s wrestling matches and the Mankind Vs Rock I Quit match.

Topic of discussion came around to the "it's all fake" Vs "it's scripted" and then how could he take an uncovered steel chair shot.

Luckily we only had a wet floor sign but I'm fairly sure there's still a video on YouTube of it, me being sat in the medical room unable to work out where I was while my mates tried to tape the sign back together and the outcome of the discussion being that it must have been a plastic steel chair because nobody would get hit that hard for entertainment.

We had a naughty book in primary school, basically if you misbehaved your name went in the book, I think 3 was a day's detention, 5 a weeks (over the term)

I got put in the naughty book 8 times for one week for putting lads in the cross face chicken wing.........

In fairness, I'm still impressed at 9 year old me arguing with the teacher who told me wrestling was fake.

"If it's fake I'm not hurting them, then I shouldn't be in the book"

It did not work, shoulda chicken winged the sour cow.

• Paid Members

I think it was impossible to find someone who didn’t play-wrestle at school in the late ‘90s.

There was a brick wall around the back of our tech block. A load of us would meet, pile our rucksacks into a shitty crash mat, and then do splashes and senton bombs onto them from the top of the wall.

I was also a skinny runt when I was at school, so ended up taking more moves than I gave. Remember taking a 3-D and a double vertical suplex on the school field. All I’d get to do is ground submissions like sharpshooters and figure-four leg locks.

Me and my few friends got around the not trying this at home by wrestling at the local community centre with two crashmats for the ring and four chairs for ring posts (I think we only got to do this because it was the early 90's and Health and Safety wasn't invented until the early 00's).

I drew the wrestling titles on cardboard for our little federation and my friend got annoyed that The IC Title was drawn better than The World Title and he ended up challenging me to a match.

10 hours ago, simonworden said:

Inspired by Air Raid's tale in the Mania thread I was wondering what people's schoolyard wrestling memories are. 

During the height of the WWF attitude craze at school we managed to concuss one of the smaller lads in an impromptu 6 man tag. Fairly sure it was some sort of crap doomsday device that did it. Poor guy sat out for the rest of the lunch break and then during maths responded "window" to a question from the teacher. Not very proud of that one.

A year or so later a couple of mates managed to create a welt the size of a golf ball on another's head from a dropkick involving a wet floor signs. 

Another time in sixth form we had the room to ourselves and my mate decide to fully sell an Irish whip crushing my lockeroom door beyond repair. No idea how I never got stung for the bill there but upon reflection I get why I didn't have many girlfriends. 

Just to state again, not particularly proud of any of these incidents looking back as an adult!

In sixth form? 

1 hour ago, westlondonmist said:

In sixth form? 

Yes, being an immature group some of us were not into experimenting with drugs and not cool/attractive enough for the casual sex. So messing about with a few wrestling moves helped pass the time before smart phones were invented would you believe! 

7 hours ago, simonworden said:

Yes, being an immature group some of us were not into experimenting with drugs and not cool/attractive enough for the casual sex. So messing about with a few wrestling moves helped pass the time before smart phones were invented would you believe! 

I left school 20 years ago and understand time could often go pretty slowly but to be honest I think No Mercy usually did the job. 

The window story, is quite funny although I probably shouldn't have laughed so hard about a primary school child getting concussed. 

Edited by westlondonmist

I still remember saying 'Quagmired in a sea of hypocrisy' to a teacher at school because Bob Backlund said it during one of his ranting 'Mr Backlund' promos.

I think it was an English class and we were discussing Shakespeare. I said it in regards to one of the characters and the teacher just sort of looked at this odd 12 year old before her and did that '....interesting point. Anybody else?' thing and moved on. 

Ah great days. 

Definitely recall in early nineties when two lads from our form at secondary school did a Dino Bravo style aeroplane spin spot. The person in the aeroplane spin’s feet knocked over one of those (now archaic) projectors and it broke. The teacher found out and went spare. 

We also used to have Royal Rumbles in a mobile classroom during lunch breaks. A psycho rugby player who was bigger and stronger than everyone else had plenty of fun basically kicking the crap out of people and throwing them out of the fire exit to eliminate them.