Cody's opponents

simonworden

Was having a think about the post mania season if/when Cody beats Roman at Mania and who I would like to see him face moving forward. Of course we'll probably get Ziggles and Omos but it's nice to imagine. There's a few pairings I'd be happy with, some might need the other guy to heat up a bit but could be interesting. 

Top of the list for me would be a Lesnar match at Summerslam with Cody playing the face in peril to monster farm boy Lesnar. 

Then I reckon an AJ Styles match would be entertaining with some bullet club references if it doesn't drag on.

If Edge is retiring this year I'd be happy with him having a ppv match too as a final farewell.

I reckon we’ll get one more match out of the Cody/Rollins feud ifRollins beats Logan Paul at Wrestlemania. 
It’s a simple enough story to write. Rollins put Cody on the shelf for months by getting in Cody’s head so much that Cody went too hard and nearly tore his chest apart training for their Hell in a Cell Match. Cody comes back, wins the big one in honour of his Dad, and Rollins wants to end the dream as quick as it started.

AJ Styles could be a fun match but AJ would need a big win to heat him up again whenever he returns from injury. Not that it would take long to do that, I just don’t like the idea of him coming straight back in a title program.

I would imagine that Cody will give Sami a shot at some point purely out of sportsmanship, but a match with Brock could be great if Brock brings his working boats and is willing to look at the lights. A match between them could get close to Brock’s match with Punk if they wanted

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I reckon we’ll get one more match out of the Cody/Rollins feud if Rollins beats Logan Paul at Wrestlemania.

That's going to be a perfectly logical match for Backlash/Extreme Rules/In Your House/whatever its called. And a perfectly logical, credible first defence. Cody doesn't need a Kane. In 2023 nobody should be having the equivalent of "give im Bulldog" levels of obvious win for a first (cough) premium live event defence. We know he'll beat Rollins but it wouldn't look outrageous if Seth won the belt (and was planned to win one of the World titles as recently as Jan '22). If he beats Paul...

If????

3 minutes ago, air_raid said:

That's going to be a perfectly logical match for Backlash/Extreme Rules/In Your House/whatever its called. And a perfectly logical, credible first defence. Cody doesn't need a Kane. In 2023 nobody should be having the equivalent of "give im Bulldog" levels of obvious win for a first (cough) premium live event defence. We know he'll beat Rollins but it wouldn't look outrageous if Seth won the belt (and was planned to win one of the World titles as recently as Jan '22). If he beats Paul...

If????

I agree with everything you’ve said, Rollins is perfectly logical opponent and won’t lose anything dropping another loss to Cody, as you say even win it. But if the rumours of Vince worming his back into creative are accurate then who knows what the fucks going to happen at Wrestlemania. He could change his mind 10 times during each man’s entrance, have Logan go over and still have Rollins named #1 contender 

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

He could change his mind 10 times during each man’s entrance, have Logan go over and still have Rollins named #1 contender 

I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid if that happened either on the theory of "Rollins is bulletproof and losing to Logan does nothing to him" - which is true, but there's a logic hole in him getting a title shot. Except they could revert to lazy booking tropes and have him win a 3/4 way "top contenders" match the night after on Raw, possibly involving someone from SmackDown thats been moved, or an NXT callup/debutant.

Or worse, go right back to the bad old days and have him pin Rhodes non-title and kill him dead before he even starts.

• Paid Members

Obviously the jist of this thread is "who will Cody feud/have ppv matches with?" (I assume!) but in general terms I think if/when Cody takes the title they'll pivot completely from doing what Roman has been (shows up occasionally, wrestles rarely, defends the title even less) to Cody being a "fighting champion", wresting/defending the belt all the time.

So I reckon we could see matches against/title shots for just about anybody on the roster. That seems like the sort of thing Cody would legit buzz off doing too.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Statto said:

So I reckon we could see matches against/title shots for just about anybody on the roster. That seems like the sort of thing Cody would legit buzz off doing too.

Of course it is. Probably get a sequel to his tweet where he put up a photo of a hand-written list of "Okada" "Roderick Strong" etc when he got released. I'd piss myself if he used the same list.

46 minutes ago, Version1.0 said:

Just have him beat all his old tag championship partners.

Hardcore Holly

Ted DiBiase - Legacy

The Dashing Ones - Drew McIntyre

Rhodes Scholers - Damien Sandow

The Brotherhood - Goldust

High Flyers - Shawn Spears (2006-7 OVW)

I was up for that list until the last one. Basically the wrestling equivilant of having to stop on the vinegar strokes. 

• Paid Members

He wouldn't get past Bob Holly so the others don't matter. 

Seriously though you would think there is money in a match with Rollins, provided Rollins wins. You also have to consider that there will be another trip to collect the Saudi oil money upcoming. The Saudi's will either want a big lad in the main event, or a high value name. Lesnar and Goldberg fit both criteria, or maybe it's where you do the Roman rematch. There is also the outside possibility of Solo backed by Paul Heyman getting thrown in the mix, though they might not want to rush into that. 

Do we also consider that at some point Cody might need a crew to back him up if for example he ends up wrestling the likes of Seamus and his gang. 

58 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

He wouldn't get past Bob Holly so the others don't matter. 

Seriously though you would think there is money in a match with Rollins, provided Rollins wins. You also have to consider that there will be another trip to collect the Saudi oil money upcoming. The Saudi's will either want a big lad in the main event, or a high value name. Lesnar and Goldberg fit both criteria, or maybe it's where you do the Roman rematch. There is also the outside possibility of Solo backed by Paul Heyman getting thrown in the mix, though they might not want to rush into that. 

Do we also consider that at some point Cody might need a crew to back him up if for example he ends up wrestling the likes of Seamus and his gang. 

Sami and KO? Could do a kind of Batista/Triple H thing eventually, but everyone’s a babyface.