Jeff Jarrett - ain't he great?

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

One of the things which definitely helped my own Jarrett renaissance - and was a joy to listen to - was both the Attitude Era podcast (during its initial good run before KEFIN MAHON FUCKING JEEEESUS SHOUTED EVERYTHING BILLY!) and the New Gen podcast start to cover their respective arcs openly assuming they would hate anything to do with Jeff Jarrett, and by the end both of them were hating saying goodbye to him because he was one of the most wildly entertaining, innocent delights on each show. 

A wrestler's wrestler, is Double J. 

Who does these podcasts, please? Are they just called "Attitude Era podcast" and "New Generation podcast", or do they fall as subtitles under an umbrella series?

6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Who does these podcasts, please? Are they just called "Attitude Era podcast" and "New Generation podcast", or do they fall as subtitles under an umbrella series?

The Attitude Era podcast and the New Gen Project are two separate podcasts. 

Attitude Era starts at WrestleMania 14 but the quality is ropey for the first few episodes. I'd drop in fall 1998, you should be able to tell pretty soon if you like it or not. The hosts are very much a marmite quality but it has some great running jokes up until WrestleMania X-Seven.

The New Gen Project is much more sedate. Full of good analysis and dry humour. Three blokes from Leicester covering King of the Ring 1993 - WrestleMania 14. People say it starts off great but if I was sampling it I'd probably go with something from 1996 on as that's when they really hit their stride. 

Of the two, New Gen is an essential listen if you're after a decent wrestling podcast.

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Christ, that Acclaimed match above is good. 

Have we had Jarrett/Lethal v FTR?  What an old school match that would be.  I'm all about that style, and in tag wrestling particularly it's such a wonderful art form.  

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

The Attitude Era podcast and the New Gen Project are two separate podcasts. 

Attitude Era starts at WrestleMania 14 but the quality is ropey for the first few episodes. I'd drop in fall 1998, you should be able to tell pretty soon if you like it or not. The hosts are very much a marmite quality but it has some great running jokes up until WrestleMania X-Seven.

The New Gen Project is much more sedate. Full of good analysis and dry humour. Three blokes from Leicester covering King of the Ring 1993 - WrestleMania 14. People say it starts off great but if I was sampling it I'd probably go with something from 1996 on as that's when they really hit their stride. 

Of the two, New Gen is an essential listen if you're after a decent wrestling podcast.

Thanks for that, am definitely intrigued by New Gen.

• Paid Members

I remember for years the story around No Mercy 99 was Jeff held up Vince for a big payout and Vince hated him for it. Actually turned out Vince was pissed at JR and not at Jeff at all. And then when Jeff asked that the payout come directly from the gate of the arena that night rather than the company so they couldn't bounce the cheque Vince popped huge for it and gave Jeff a hug. Just the absolute fucking man.

Clearly going against the grain in this thread but I class Jarrett in the same class as Edge, I just don't get the appeal as a main eventer. Solid upper mid card but has never really shone as a main eventer. 

Tbf my starting point with his career was getting twatted by Chyna and I guess I've never really gotten past that. He has his moments of fun and can be a solid heel but I just don't get it. I can't recall a single match that I would want to watch again.

Happy to have suggestions to change my mind if that's possible...

2 minutes ago, Wideload90 said:

Clearly going against the grain in this thread but I class Jarrett in the same class as Edge, I just don't get the appeal as a main eventer. Solid upper mid card but has never really shone as a main eventer. 

Tbf my starting point with his career was getting twatted by Chyna and I guess I've never really gotten past that. He has his moments of fun and can be a solid heel but I just don't get it. I can't recall a single match that I would want to watch again.

Happy to have suggestions to change my mind if that's possible...

But, I guess, herein lies the issue; he’s not really a ‘match’ worker, he’s a whole package guy. His best matches are when he brings the story of the angle into his work, his mannerisms, his movements - they don’t always age well as a match in a vacuum, but they’re not really meant to.

I think he’s great. An incredible character cunt. He can make a room full of his biggest fans hate him and pay to see him lose. Just a superb worker.

I don’t necessarily see the Edge comparison as I think, as part of the Smackdown Six, Edge was meant to be a match wrestler. Edge was sort of always quite good at everything, rather than brilliant at a certain thing.

I’d compare Jarrett to JBL, albeit a better all-round performer - blossomed quite late and became a legitimate main event title holder, who was willing to fully commit to a story and show arse in the process.

Always had time for Jeff Jarrett, both as a performer and a creative mind and always respect someone who is able to acclimatise and stay relevant. Before he settled into his current ‘pattern’ that’s exposed him, I would have put Chris Jericho in that category. Just my opinion, of course.

My view that had Tony Khan not been a stubborn as he is regarding AEW creative then she should lean on Jeff Jarrett remains the case. Sonjay Dutt, who Khan has placed in his creative inner circle, got his producing and creative start under the learning tree of Jeff Jarrett, I believe.

As mentioned (I think in the opening post), I also got irked with Jarrett's return to WWE a few years back because I couldn't give a toss about his mid-90s track - it was all about Urban Cowboy to me! Him and Debra and Owen Hart just being nobs, and this tune was great. And it reminds me of other Attitude Era stars that Jarrett squared off against, especially the likes of D'Lo Brown, one of my all-time faves. But this track I think is an underrated one as far as WWE themes go.

That track is fantastic. One of those ones I've only ever heard on your typical muffled VHS standard Attitude Era recordings but listening to it clear and getting to realise Jim Johnston is just freewheeling a lead guitar melody that goes on and on in different variations is a treat. The man had an unbelievable knack for writing tunes.

Edit: Found his excellent NWA 98 run theme too! The one with the glorious church organs. 

"There's all the great WWF superstars, and then there's meeeeee!"

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Going back to when I first saw him, he must have been a boon in that midcard position, working with the guys like Val Venis, D'lo, Edge, Christian, etc.

I'm not going to retrofit him as a stellar talent for most of his career because, as solid as he was, he was just that and nothing more. But today, and possibly because everyone around him is working faster and flashier than ever, he's once again found his lane as a solid lynch pin with bags of personality and confidence, and is shining.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

That track is fantastic. One of those ones I've only ever heard on your typical muffled VHS standard Attitude Era recordings but listening to it clear and getting to realise Jim Johnston is just freewheeling a lead guitar melody that goes on and on in different variations is a treat. The man had an unbelievable knack for writing tunes.

Edit: Found his excellent NWA 98 run theme too! The one with the glorious church organs. 

"There's all the great WWF superstars, and then there's meeeeee!"

There's all the other WWF superstars... and there's MEEEEEE! Then fucking best. That run was pretty shit though. 

Edited by gmoney