FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Officially called "the Celebrity Paradox" - one of my favourite trivia questions. There are probably loads listed on Wiki, but the only ones that immediately come to mind are Bruce Willis, Elle MacPherson, and Brooke Shields in Friends, and Affleck/Damon in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (although I'm not sure if there's a corollary name for it when the actor plays both themself and the character in the same film like Affleck did).

One I like is in The Wire there's a scene where Cheese (played by Wu Tang member Method Man) is listening to Ghostface Killa (another Wu-Tang member) in his car which suggests that Wu Tang Clan and therefore Method Man himself exist in world of The Wire.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Officially called "the Celebrity Paradox" - one of my favourite trivia questions. There are probably loads listed on Wiki, but the only ones that immediately come to mind are Bruce Willis, Elle MacPherson, and Brooke Shields in Friends, and Affleck/Damon in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (although I'm not sure if there's a corollary name for it when the actor plays both themself and the character in the same film like Affleck did).

Julia Roberts plays herself and a character in Ocean's 12, and it lead to one of the most toe-curling scenes in cinema. 

Edited by gmoney

This can go full circle as Uncle Joon memorably watches Curb Your Enthusiasm and mistakes Larry and Jeff for him and Bobby. 

That's on HBO, along with The Sopranos.

There is also an episode where Gilmore Girls is playing and in that show Lorelai (aka, the ultimate MILF) references Tony, meaning both shows exist in each others world.

spacer.png

• Moderators

I am of the (correct) opinion that all discussion of TV show and movie 'universes' is a topic that belongs firmly in the dull men's club. 

Only second to fan theories about shows that revolve around one of the characters being dead and that not explicitly being told to the audience but it 'all making sense' when viewed (very selectively) through that lens. 

Edited by Chest Rockwell

26 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I am of the (correct) opinion that all discussion of TV show and movie 'universes' is a topic that belongs firmly in the dull men's club. 

Good lord no. They’re dull topics but not dull men topics. Roy Cropper wouldn’t talk about, or even watch these shows, so not one for DMC (Not the rap group, far too cool and trendy for Dull Mans Club). The train journey show with the Tory pastel slack nonce counts, as would discussion regarding which train infrastructure system he should tour next. That’s the sort of thing. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Good lord no. They’re dull topics but not dull men topics. Roy Cropper wouldn’t talk about, or even watch these shows, so not one for DMC (Not the rap group, far too cool and trendy for Dull Mans Club). The train journey show with the Tory pastel slack nonce counts, as would discussion regarding which train infrastructure system he should tour next. That’s the sort of thing. 

Puns are perfect for the Dull Man's Club, which makes me the perfect guy to chair it - I think I could Run DMC