WWE Network 2023

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Heard my friend discussing this on a podcast. Seems this was missed as it doesn't affect us https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/wwe-network-streaming-binge-foxtel-tv-rights-australia-kayo/?zephr_sso_ott=I8pvNV

The WWE Network in Australia is now part of the Binge streaming service and the standalone network is gone. With Peacock getting it last year in the US, is it only a matter of time before it gets snapped up by someone in the UK (Presumably Peacock, but who knows)?

16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Heard my friend discussing this on a podcast. Seems this was missed as it doesn't affect us https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/wwe-network-streaming-binge-foxtel-tv-rights-australia-kayo/?zephr_sso_ott=I8pvNV

The WWE Network in Australia is now part of the Binge streaming service and the standalone network is gone. With Peacock getting it last year in the US, is it only a matter of time before it gets snapped up by someone in the UK (Presumably Peacock, but who knows)?

They've been doing it all over. They're on Disney+ somewhere. Binge is basically Fox/NewsCorp. No guarantee they'd end up on Peacock over here. Depends on the highest bidder.

Not sure how much the BT Sport deal plays into things. The UK Discovery+/HBOMAX might try and grab it.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

They've been doing it all over. They're on Disney+ somewhere. Binge is basically Fox/NewsCorp. No guarantee they'd end up on Peacock over here. Depends on the highest bidder.

Not sure how much the BT Sport deal plays into things. The UK Discovery+/HBOMAX might try and grab it.

I think it was Indonisia that gets WWE on Disney+ but yes you are right. I assume the BT Deal is whats stopping it. And BT and Discovery+ are now partners for BT Sport, so it could be they try and win it when the contract is up. Which is mad when you think Discovery own TBS/TNT and so produce AEW, yet in the UK it could be WWE they lead with.  Certainly interesting. The deal was done in 2019 and started 1st January 2020 for a multiyear deal, so no idea when it is up, but could this be another bidding was in 2024? 

5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think it was Indonisia that gets WWE on Disney+ but yes you are right. I assume the BT Deal is whats stopping it. And BT and Discovery+ are now partners for BT Sport, so it could be they try and win it when the contract is up. Which is mad when you think Discovery own TBS/TNT and so produce AEW, yet in the UK it could be WWE they lead with.  Certainly interesting. The deal was done in 2019 and started 1st January 2020 for a multiyear deal, so no idea when it is up, but could this be another bidding was in 2024? 

Feck knows. You've got people fantasy booking a merger between Comcast (NBC Universal/Sky) and WB Discovery in a few years.

In general there still isn't a lot of joined up thinking with the streaming services. Different regions have their own departments, budgets, and sometimes joint ventures (SkyShowtime instead of Peacock & Paramount+/joint productions which have to be open to bidding for distribution) that keeps things confusing.

I would imagine nothing much will change until the BT Sports deal comes up. No idea when that is exactly, I’d assume it was at least a 5 year deal and it’s just coming up on 3 years since it moved to BT from Sky, so it could still be a while until any change occurs.

I reckon that once the deal comes up it will get gobbled up into some other package like it has been doing in other areas

• 2 weeks later...

I'm certain this is low on anyone at WWE's totem pole at present, but is there any news on the Broken Skull Sessions show on the network? After the Charlotte episode in August, I've not heard anything. I could have swore there was a full slate of guests set out for the entirety of 2022 (roughly released/shown this time last year). The only thing I can think is he got a taster of the wrestling bug last year and has been in secret training for a limited run (a la Edge, three years ago). Absolute bullshit speculation on my part though, obviously!

Always do make a point of finding the latest Broken Skull, but it wouldn't surprise me with the scandals and sale if they've gone completely cold on hosting shoot style material that might raise questions.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Always do make a point of finding the latest Broken Skull, but it wouldn't surprise me with the scandals and sale if they've gone completely cold on hosting shoot style material that might raise questions.

I understand what you mean, but those shows aren’t live and normally pretty edited.

On 1/5/2023 at 10:07 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

As an Aussie, absolutely gutted about this change. Binge would be lucky to have 5% of the content that the WWE Network had. Only the last 2 years of Raw and Smackdown, and a weirdly low and random selection of PPVs- the last 7 years of Rumbles, no WrestleManias, but Invasion 2001, Rock Bottom 1998 and the Saudi shows all made the cut. Surprisingly thorough on the reality shows- all the Total Divas, Total Bellas, and Miz & Mrs is there for our viewing "pleasure".

I was worried about this happening when the switch was announced. A lot of Aussies were excited, because Foxtel/Binge is a big company, but it's a total shitshow.

Hope you guys fare better when the switch is made on your side.

Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2

I cancelled WWE Network and signed up for US Peacock Premium when it was 20 US Dollars for the year. They also have every episode of Saturday Night Live and most live Premier League games in HD. Paying for it was a bit of a pain (using a US Unlocked virtual credit card). Also either need to use a US DNS address or a decent VPN but it’s saved me a few quid over a year.