23 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Half of the Grand Slam Eliminator is known and it's a stacked showcase!! So hard to pick between them /s

Darby Allin v. Nick Wayne

Roderick Strong v. Trent Beretta

Good grief.

It just makes zero sense as a premise, as if you were a big name you’d surely be banging down Tony’s door to be included.

At the very least you should have a little explainer, like Tony wants to give people who’ve never had a world title a chance… or something.

Fucking Nick Wayne in a World Title final-8 tournament. 

• Paid Members

Nick Wayne has never won a singles match in AEW, and the last time we saw Darby Allin he had just lost a match for a different title and the commentators were speculating over the extent of his injuries, so obviously that's a match you put together for a World Title shot less than a week later. 

5 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Good grief.

It just makes zero sense as a premise, as if you were a big name you’d surely be banging down Tony’s door to be included.

At the very least you should have a little explainer, like Tony wants to give people who’ve never had a world title a chance… or something.

Fucking Nick Wayne in a World Title final-8 tournament. 

The tournaments have become such blatant booking crutches. Quarter finals are filler. Semi finals might be interesting. Final should be decent. They could make an attempt to make one a signature event to help boost ticket sales as the fanbase is one that will turn up for well promoted matches.

But no...

Much like the Blind Tag Eliminator it's a nothing thing. Announced last week with no bracket and only Roderick Strong confirmed to be in it. Two matches announced yesterday for Dynamite and the other half potentially getting crammed into Rampage. As the semis are for this Saturday's Collision.

1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

The tournaments have become such blatant booking crutches. Quarter finals are filler. Semi finals might be interesting. Final should be decent. They could make an attempt to make one a signature event to help boost ticket sales as the fanbase is one that will turn up for well promoted matches.

I can't be bothered checking, but I wonder how many tournaments AEW has held over the past year? It feels so constant, and I find it hard to care. Whether it's MJF/Strong or MJF/Joe that they are planning to go with (or something else entirely), there's not much need for the tournament to take place at all; and, if anything, it would likely work better if they were to focus on story rather than yet another dull tournament. 

11 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I can't be bothered checking, but I wonder how many tournaments AEW has held over the past year? It feels so constant, and I find it hard to care. Whether it's MJF/Strong or MJF/Joe that they are planning to go with (or something else entirely), there's not much need for the tournament to take place at all; and, if anything, it would likely work better if they were to focus on story rather than yet another dull tournament. 

In the past year it would be at least this:

Grand Slam Tournament of Champions to crown a new World Champion: Jon Moxley wins

Full Gear World Title Eliminator for title match at Winter is Coming: Ricky Starks

Owen Mens: Ricky Starks

Owen Womens: Willow Nightingale

Blind Tag Eliminator: Better Than You BayBay

There were maybe a couple of others that were 4 person brackets to crown a contender. There was that joke of a "tournament" with the 4 Pillars.

When I call these booking crutches that's because they are trying to tell stories in these. The Blind Tag was only there to set up MJF & Cole as a team. Didn't bother with a bracket or announce the teams until the week they had to have the matches. Moxley was there as MJF needed someone to beat. The Owen was just there to get to CM Punk v. Ricky Starks. Willow was an afterthougt as they needed a women's tournament.

This latest tournament has a similar feel. While some people might be hoping for Samoa Joe entering based on the All Out interaction. Which was all that was needed to set up a match at Grand Slam people would want to see. Right now, Roderick Strong is looking like the clear favourite otherwise what story are they telling.

2 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

I love Samoa Joe.

He loses every high profile match he is in though so it's very hard to get invested in the MJF feud.

Probably the one time where this doesn't matter though, right? No one in this spot would be taking the title off MJF, so it's more about the journey there (and whether Cole turns in the process).