When you contrast what WWE are doing just now and their levels of storytelling around The Bloodline storyline, along with how hugely over Cody, Dominik Mysterio, Jey Uso, Sami Zayn etc. all are right now with the AEW World Champ running a twitter storyline where he doesn't want to leave his cat at home, for me it really shows how much of a turnaround theres been in the two companies over the last few years.

I was such a massive fan of AEW but it just feels so stale whereas it feels like WWE has so much good stuff going on all at once just now.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

Agree that the buzz is certainly more around WWE at the moment. Feels like AEW got to a stage where they felt like they needed to up the ante..new shows, new production, video games, new commercial deals, overseas shows, etc..which is all good in theory. But putting the energy into that levelling up has most likely taken away from the creative and engaging storylines, performances and development. 

It felt like for a while that AEW had found a comfy niche which was drawing positive attention and it was flowing. Then perhaps they felt the need to push higher and go bigger..which is obviously still in the teething stage. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

When you contrast what WWE are doing just now and their levels of storytelling around The Bloodline storyline, along with how hugely over Cody, Dominik Mysterio, Jey Uso, Sami Zayn etc. all are right now with the AEW World Champ running a twitter storyline where he doesn't want to leave his cat at home, for me it really shows how much of a turnaround theres been in the two companies over the last few years.

I was such a massive fan of AEW but it just feels so stale whereas it feels like WWE has so much good stuff going on all at once just now.

There is nothing outside of the bloodline that I think is a good storyline right now. What else is there? Baszlar turning on Rousey, Dom being a chicken shit heel, Seth being a poor mans joker/social media influencer? I mean what are the actual storylines I am supposed to care about? What am I missing?

AEW have The Elite vs BCC, Kingston and Mox, Jugleboy turning, Punk V Samoa Joe, FTR vs Bullet Club Gold, Owen Hart tournament, Tag Eliminator Tornament. You don't have to care about any of them, but you can't say there is nothing there. 

58 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Sometimes, you can discuss WWE or AEW without referencing the other.

Sometimes, you can discuss WWE or AEW without watching the other,  as well it would seem.

I don't know why people feel this constant need to put down the one they don't like when there is just no need.

It's worse than football fandom sometimes.

• Paid Members

The Bloodline storyline can be great at the same time as The Elite’s storyline being bloody brilliant, too.

It’s amazing to watch one storyline grow and encompass half the roster, featuring a tonne of great angles and matches. You might not like The Elite’s style of wrestling but you can’t deny they can tell a fucking story. So many layers and interconnected threads, all plotted back to Moxley accidentally knocking Hangman out in a random tournament match. Mox and Hangman taking it in turns to murder each other, The Elite jumping in the ring to back up Hangman against the BCC, Danielson’s heel turn, the eventual Avengers Assemble reunion, the Omega vs. Mox cage match, the Don Callis turn, Anarchy in the Arena, Takeshita’s turn, that mental conclusion to Dynamite where everyone ran out, Omega and Ospreay having one of the best matches of all time, Dark Order being pissed off with Hangman, and now with the return of Eddie Kingston to turn the whole thing up to eleven. Masterful stuff. The only way it can improve is if CM Punk pulls something out of his bag that somehow pulls him into orbit.

• Paid Members
On 7/3/2023 at 9:44 AM, Jonny Vegas said:

You say that but I tried watching a few Smackdown's and Raw's recently to see what all the buzz was about and outside of the excellent Bloodline stuff found them to be absolutely awful cheesy lifeless shows with corny one dimensional characters and pointless meaningless matches with little psychology. To you WWE may be on fire, but to me it's terrible and even worse than it was when I stopped watching properly years ago.

However what struck me the most was how different the promotions felt from eachother. I genuinely don't know how someone could enjoy both. They both seem to cater to completely different tastes. 

So I guess my point is can we stop fucking comparing them?

1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

However what struck me the most was how different the promotions felt from eachother. I genuinely don't know how someone could enjoy both. They both seem to cater to completely different tastes. 

I mean that's like saying why would someone enjoy Beethoven and Slipknot or something. It's not really an either/or situation. People enjoying a variety of things isn't that unusual.