• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

anyone been to see the live show yet? took my daughter yesterday, really good show and she loved it. The run time flys by but there's a few real lovely moments in there as we well as a few really good audience participation parts which I won't spoil. I'll admit I had to hold it together in the closing few seconds, didn't wanna have a tear running down my face when the lights went up.

Edited by Egg Shen

Took my little girl to see it a couple of weeks ago in Bradford. It's really good. The running time is perfect too. Not too long so the kids don't get distracted, but not so short that you feel you've not had your money's worth. I spent £16 on a toy asparagus wand but it was worth for how chuffed she was with it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

FYI for anyone interested Aldi is having a load of Bluey stuff in from 25/04

Scooters, an ice cream station, Bluey / bingo plush chairs that look cool, playsets, talking stuffed toys, etch a sketch, figures and some other stuff.

I have no kids and no idea what Bluey is all about, but I know there are a few on here with kids who love it.

Watched it this morning.

I liked it... I didn't love it.

Spoiler

I think this is the first time watching Bluey that I've felt it was a bit 'Hollywood'. There were a few things, such as Frisky running from the wedding or ultimately Bandit deciding not to sell the house and move, that were more contrived than I think I've become used to with this show. Not to mention that the ending I felt contradicted with a lot of the message of the preceding episode.

Occasionally it's quite difficult to keep in mind that this is, after all, a show for young children at heart, so it may be that I'm massively overthinking things. However Bluey has had such a unique ability to resonate with people who have been affected by real life circumstances, which makes the kind of hand-wavey 'undoing' of certain elements a little disappointing. For example, the moment in 'Onesies' that referred to Brandi's possible infertility which was so powerful has now been undone, as she was shown to be pregnant at the wedding. The ending of 'Ghostbasket' set up the very realistic prospect that a lot of families (including mine when I was around Bluey's age) face, of choosing to relocate in order to make a better life for the future. It felt a bit of a shame to build that prospect up just to discard it with little real justification at the end.

I know, it's just monkeys singing songs, don't read too much into it. It was still incredibly emotive, and I did cry a lot, as did my wife. The kids loved it and ultimately that's what matters.

• Paid Members
Spoiler

I think the episode has overlapping messages, teaching kids how to handle change but also making the point to adults that "more money" is not necessarily a better life, when you've got community around you. He figured out he was in the good old days while he was actually in them.

They leant into the continuity bag here, simple things like dance mode and chattermax, little things like estate agent being the guy that teased bandit at school, and then the big ones like brandy being pregnant and chilli staring at the spot where bluey took her first steps as she contemplates moving out. They've had the shot of bluey sitting with her headphones on for years, the bastards.

There's not enough love for Winton's Dad finding love too.

I don't mind some of the hardships being worked out, it's ultimately an optimistic show and that's great.

No spoilers, but they finished the story.

I definitely fall more in line with Duke's thoughts.

Spoiler

Happy endings do happen in real life. I don't think they have to follow through on something like them moving in order to teach that lesson. Plus it was absolutely realistic that a sale would fall through because they fucked off somewhere else! So it could be seen as slightly convenient but its also a pain in the arse reality. It just so happened that they'd realised what they really wanted anyway.

14 hours ago, Weezenal said:

I walked out of the room to empty the dishwasher towards the end.

Spoiler

The little eyeball logo top left of the message box

Spoiler

@Weezenal at the end it flashes forward so it's grown up Bluey visiting her folks, the internet seems convinced that Mackenzie is the dad of Bluey's child that surprises Bandit at the end. Poor guy never gets any peace. 

Edited by Harry Wiseau
The spoiler tag is not a spoiler for Bluey, it's explaining how to add a spoiler as requested in the edit on the quoted post.